Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Speakers

Freo-1

Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Speakers
« on: 23 Mar 2021, 02:50 am »
Been looking to replace my speakers in the main living area for awhile now.  There are so many good options available, it was difficult to narrow down what to focus on.  The issues with obtaining large floor standing speakers are numerous.  Cost, shipping, compatibility with one's listening environment, and electronics are the major ones that spring to mind. 

As luck would have it, a pristine pair of Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature speakers became available.  the speakers were only 14 months old, in near new condition.  The original owner spent an extra 1K on upgrades to wiring and crossover internals.  Included in the upgrade was Duelund wiring, Clarity CMR and CSA caps, Goertz and Jantzen foil inductors.   I believe the upgrades to the internals is one of the reasons this pair of speakers sound SO good. Was able to negotiate a good price, and picked them up last week.

The Linbrook Signature has all SEAS Excel drivers: 2 8" woofers, 2 7" midrange, and a SEAS Millennium tweeter.  The efficiency is 90 db/w @ 4 ohms. Frequency response is 25 to 20 Khz. 
Weight is 135 lbs. each. Tyler makes all their own cabinets in house, which are very good quality.  Sales are direct from factory to customer.  This saves on purchase costs significantly.  I doubt one will find any other high end speaker with this level of quality drivers and internals at Tyler's price points.  Second hand is an out and out bargain.

As soon as I connected them to the electronics (Chord M-Scaler to Devialet 500), the playback was nothing short of astounding.  Can't remember a set of speakers that imaged as well as these.  The sound stage was very wide, deep, and high.  Instrument placement is precise, with individual instruments easily heard clearly, even with very complex dynamic symphonic music.  Bass has incredible definition, especially non amplified stand up bass.  One feels like they are in a jazz club live.  Cello reproduction is amazing, one can hear details when Hauser is playing that you didn't realize were there.  Vocals sound accurate, both male and female.  No sibilance unless it's on a bad recording.  Treble is perhaps the cleanest I've ever come across.  The triangles in symphonic music can actually be distinguished even during loud passages.  Later, connected a tube setup, consisting of a Chord M-Scaler/Chord TT2 DAC, Thomas Mayer Clone preamp, and 1625 110 watt monoblocks.  Sound was just as good as the Devialet, with a slight additional amount of energy in the presence region. on some recordings.

These speakers sound first rate with all genres of music.  Be it classical, jazz, rock, Blues, world, the sound is alive and natural. 

Strongly recommend Tyler Acoustic speakers for audition.  They make a variety of speaker types to suit all tastes.       

Early B.

Re: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2021, 07:23 am »
Great speakers. One of the best bargains in audio.

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2021, 12:22 pm »
Hi,

Congrats on the new speaker.  Now your happy no upgraditis lol

cheers rod

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2021, 01:41 pm »
Hi,

Congrats on the new speaker.  Now your happy no upgraditis lol

cheers rod

Cheers for that.  Speakers are more difficult than other components to upgrade,  for obvious reasons.  I tend to keep speakers for a long time as a result. No doubt these speakers will not be upgraded anytime soon.   :D

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2021, 11:52 am »
Excellent news :)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2021, 01:12 pm »
Yes, very nice. Made right here in my town of Owensboro. Haven't been to the shop yet.

sunnydaze

« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2021, 03:58 pm »
I've known about Tyler speakers for years.....always thought they looked very nice and presented as quality....but I NEVER read anything about them from either professional reviewers, or on the audio boards from regular folks.   Certainly not audiophile darlings.

This led me to conclude that they must not measure up sonically, and made it difficult for me to pull the trigger on them.....despite how nice and quality they appeared to be, and the value they seemed to present.

Does anyone know why this dichotomy exists?   Not enough graft paid to pro reviewers, therefore the word doesn't get out to the buying public?     :dunno:     :roll:

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2021, 04:20 pm »
I've known about Tyler speakers for years.....always thought they looked very nice and presented as quality....but I NEVER read anything about them from either professional reviewers, or on the audio boards from regular folks.   Certainly not audiophile darlings.

This led me to conclude that they must not measure up sonically, and made it difficult for me to pull the trigger on them.....despite how nice and quality they appeared to be, and the value they seemed to present.

Does anyone know why this dichotomy exists?   Not enough graft paid to pro reviewers, therefore the word doesn't get out to the buying public?     :dunno:     :roll:

Years ago, Tyler was very popular on Audiogon. I owned a pair of their monitors and three of my audiophile friends have owned various Tyler floor standers. Ty uses high quality drivers and crossover parts, and his cabinet work is pretty good, so you get a helluva product that's reasonably priced, great customer service, and made in America. This combo rarely happens. Within their price range, they're hard to beat.

Tyler sort of reminds me of Odyssey amps -- been around forever, doesn't need to advertise, amps are priced well and gives you a taste of audiophile quality sound.

sunnydaze

« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2021, 04:33 pm »
Ty uses high quality drivers and crossover parts, and his cabinet work is pretty good, so you get a helluva product that's reasonably priced, great customer service, and made in America. This combo rarely happens. Within their price range, they're hard to beat.

My point exactly.  So why do I not read the goo-goo-gah-gah reactions to them like I do others that offer great sound and value?   For example:  Daedalus, Spatial, Omega, Salk, Zu, Tekton, and Vapor (from a few years ago), and the other usual darlings that get all the press.   Tyler just doesn't seem to have gained much traction.

Maybe I'm just reading the wrong boards.   :dunno: 

genjamon

« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2021, 04:46 pm »
About a dozen years ago, I first heard the Linbrook Signature monitors at the home of a retired classical musician - turned audiophile.  He was running them with a Bryston pre and amp, and a Cayin tubed CD player.  I was gobsmacked by the soundstage they produced.  Massively deep, and the speakers disappeared in a way that I had never heard before.  It took me only a few months to buy a pair on Audiogon.  But I was running a Red Wine Audio 30.2 amp at the time that didn't have the juice for them (as opposed to the Omega single driver speakers I was using at the time).  So, I bought a pair of Wyred4Sound 500 watt class D amps for them.  And was sorely disappointed.  Never figured out if it was the signal chain and amplification of mine, or if it was that I had moved to a new house and new audio room that didn't have effective room treatment yet, but they just didn't open up for me the way they did at the musician's home.  I moved on to Tekton speakers after that, but have always thought about giving a set of Tyler floorstanders a try at some point - especially as my front end and amplification have become higher quality. 

I bet Odyssey amps would make an awesome pairing with Tyler Linbrook speakers.  As an Odyssey Kismet stereo amp owner, their virtues seem like they would reinforce each other.

mmurt

« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2021, 06:23 pm »
I have a pair of the Linbrook Signature speakers powered by AVA amp/pre and a Modwright Sony CD and the sound is AWESOME.  Unfortunately I moved and never have been able to incorporate them into this house.  Thus, I'm looking to sell them.  Live in SO. Cal so if anyone is interested?  Going to trade in my AVA Fet amp and pre on one of Franks control amps and use for a smaller office system.   

Freo-1

« Reply #11 on: 25 Mar 2021, 06:47 pm »
Here's a link to reviews for Tyler speakers:

http://tyleracoustics.com/reviews.html

Here's a list of Mastering studios that use Tyler speakers:

http://tyleracoustics.com/Mastering_Studios.html

I've been very impressed with the Linbrook Signature performance.  Don't think there's a better speaker value in audio then Tyler offerings.  The drivers and crossover parts alone cost more than what I paid.   Tyler Acoustics business model allows them to pass along the savings to the customers.

Freo-1

« Reply #12 on: 25 Mar 2021, 07:07 pm »
About a dozen years ago, I first heard the Linbrook Signature monitors at the home of a retired classical musician - turned audiophile.  He was running them with a Bryston pre and amp, and a Cayin tubed CD player.  I was gobsmacked by the soundstage they produced.  Massively deep, and the speakers disappeared in a way that I had never heard before.  It took me only a few months to buy a pair on Audiogon.  But I was running a Red Wine Audio 30.2 amp at the time that didn't have the juice for them (as opposed to the Omega single driver speakers I was using at the time).  So, I bought a pair of Wyred4Sound 500 watt class D amps for them.  And was sorely disappointed.  Never figured out if it was the signal chain and amplification of mine, or if it was that I had moved to a new house and new audio room that didn't have effective room treatment yet, but they just didn't open up for me the way they did at the musician's home.  I moved on to Tekton speakers after that, but have always thought about giving a set of Tyler floorstanders a try at some point - especially as my front end and amplification have become higher quality. 

I bet Odyssey amps would make an awesome pairing with Tyler Linbrook speakers.  As an Odyssey Kismet stereo amp owner, their virtues seem like they would reinforce each other.

I think the SEAS drivers are very revealing as to the electronics driving them.  I had Cary Audio speakers with SEAS Excel and Millennium tweeter before.  They sounded awful with Class D, but very good with Pass Labs.

The previous owner used VTL preamp and LAMM power amps, which he was very happy with.  I'm using Chord M-Scaler with Devialet 500, which sounds very good.  Sounds just as good with the Chord M-Scaler/Hugo-TT2 driving a Meyer 6AH4 preamp and a quad 1625 monoblocks.

sunnydaze

« Reply #13 on: 25 Mar 2021, 07:27 pm »
Thanks for the review links, Freo.     :thumb:

Didn't realize there was so much out there.  I didn't do a formal search....was just relying on my memory of  casual reading of forums / boards over the years, and not really recalling much mention of them.  My bad.   :oops:

Freo-1

« Reply #14 on: 25 Mar 2021, 07:36 pm »
No worries 

There is so many options and choices available,  it's not possible to be well versed in all of them.  Speakers are really tough,  as the listening room and electronics can vastly impact what one hears.

Randy

« Reply #15 on: 25 Mar 2021, 07:39 pm »
Those speakers used to come in two parts per speaker.The bass unit was separate.  Tyler discontinued Linbrooks for a while along with his small monitor speaker, his best seller of all time.  After a few years he brought them both  back apparently because of customer demand.

A check of the website shows Linbrooks are no longer available, from the mfg. at least.

Freo-1

« Reply #16 on: 25 Mar 2021, 07:48 pm »
Those speakers used to come in two parts per speaker.The bass unit was separate.  Tyler discontinued Linbrooks for a while along with his small monitor speaker, his best seller of all time.  After a few years he brought them both  back apparently because of customer demand.

That sounds correct. The guy I bought them from had them made a year ago.   He then decided to have Ty make him a pair of Woodmere 2 recently.   Once he got those, he sold me this pair. 

I do know Ty will make any model he has made in the past,  such as Linbrook or Woodmere upon request.   He made me closed box Linbrook monitors and  center channel some years back for a surround setup. 

genjamon

« Reply #17 on: 25 Mar 2021, 07:48 pm »
Looks like he calls his current models with the same Seas drivers his Decade X SE series.

Freo-1

« Reply #18 on: 25 Mar 2021, 07:55 pm »

A check of the website shows Linbrooks are no longer available, from the mfg. at least.

Pretty sure he will make a customer a previous line of speakers he made in the past, such as Linbrook or Woodmere. 

Early B.

« Reply #19 on: 25 Mar 2021, 07:56 pm »
I view Tyler products as entry level audiophile speakers. Once you get a taste for the good life, you move on to try other speakers.