James Buys Bryston-Congratulations, Well Done

Don_S

James Buys Bryston-Congratulations, Well Done
« on: 2 Feb 2021, 04:35 pm »
I am surprised I did not see this posted already. Did I miss it?

Congratulations and best wishes to James.

Official Announcement:

“Peterborough, Ontario February 1, 2021 – Bryston (bryston.com), a leading manufacturer of high-performance audio electronics and loudspeakers for music and cinema systems sold through the finest dealers worldwide, announced today that the company has been acquired by longtime VP James Tanner in partnership with Colquhoun Audio, a manufacturer of premium audio products also based in Canada. Effective immediately, James Tanner is Bryston's CEO.

Tanner, who joined Bryston in 1976, has a passion for the storied brand and shares an unrelenting drive to deliver the high-performance audio experience sought after by Bryston customers. In partnership with Colquhoun Audio, Tanner will strengthen relationships with the dealer community by adding a host of new services such as:

· An online portal for order processing

· A web-to-dealer referral service

· An expanded sales team

· A customer service hotline, providing real time support to dealers and consumers

· Expanded and modernized R&D and manufacturing at Bryston—remaining true to their Made in Canada tradition of outstanding quality.

Former Bryston CEO Chris Russell is retiring, but will remain active as a consultant with the company founded by his family decades ago. Chris’s vast knowledge of Bryston product design will still be a part of Bryston going forward.

“There are very few high-performance audio brands that offer the 40-plus year legacy of best-in-class products and award-winning services that Bryston does—and we are committed to providing our worldwide network of dealers with the tools they need to be even more successful,” Tanner explained. “I am very excited about the next generation of Bryston products, beginning with the new BR-20 preamplifier scheduled to start shipping this month, as well as several stellar designs currently in development.”

About Bryston: Bryston (bryston.com) began designing and manufacturing accurate, reliable audio amplification in the early 1970s. Since that time, Bryston has become legendary for hand-built quality, superb performance and dependability, utilizing precision manufacturing techniques and materials more typically found in military and aerospace industries. Bryston amplifiers have been selected by some of the most renowned recording studios and discerning music professionals. Located in Peterborough, Ontario

Canada, Bryston products are sold through over 150 residential and commercial A/V dealers in North America and 60 countries worldwide.”

fbny71

Re: James Buys Bryston-Congratulations, Well Done
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2021, 05:12 pm »
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! !

That is awesome new...truly, congratulations and godspeed!

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2021, 05:28 pm »
That's cool! Congratulations James. I'm glad the new ownership is coming from within the company.

I hope CEO duties don't dip into your AudioCircle time.
I bet you'll need some AC marketing fun more than ever now, as a diversion from endless paperwork and meetings. haha

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2021, 07:27 pm »
Thanks folks - its been a great ride so far and looking forward to what the future may bring. :thumb:

james

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2021, 08:11 pm »
WOAH! Congrats James!!

BrystonNut

• Bryston, there is no substitute!
« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2021, 08:38 pm »
Congratulations James!

Craig B

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2021, 08:55 pm »
With the Colquhoun connection, will Bryston electronics start appearing for sale on the Axiom website? :wink:

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2021, 09:22 pm »
Wow, congratulations.  Nice to see the good guys winning.  Please don't let this interfere with your main gig, the "Smile' column.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2021, 09:35 pm »
With the Colquhoun connection, will Bryston electronics start appearing for sale on the Axiom website? :wink:

Hi Craig

No the companies will remain at arms length but one advantage for Bryston is that Axiom manufactures an machines a lot of its own parts.  Drivers and parts etc for their speakers and electronics.

So I am looking forward to Bryston being able to become more independent when it comes to designing and manufacturing our own parts.  Become much more of a manufacturer and less an assembler. So circuit insertion machines and metal manufacturing parts machinery is something which will benefit us greatly.

james

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2021, 09:39 pm »
What a momentum news.
Congratulations   :thumb:

Moineau

• Une mer calme n’a jamais fait un bon marin.
« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2021, 09:53 pm »
Congratulations Mr. Tanner

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2021, 09:56 pm »
Congratulations James. Very happy about this and your future. In your honour I had to go crank up the 14Bsst2  with my PCM PBi speakers. Both of which I bought in your room at RMAF 5 or so yrs ago .

Best of luck to you!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2021, 10:10 pm »
Congratulations James. Very happy about this and your future. In your honour I had to go crank up the 14Bsst2  with my PCM PBi speakers. Both of which I bought in your room at RMAF 5 or so yrs ago .

Best of luck to you!

i remember that David - ENJOY

james

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2021, 10:32 pm »
Congratulations James.  :thumb:  Best wishes in your endeavors moving the well respected brand forward into the future.

mav52

« Reply #14 on: 2 Feb 2021, 10:57 pm »
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! !

The Company is in good hands with Tanner !

GrooveControl

« Reply #15 on: 2 Feb 2021, 11:02 pm »
@ Chris,  we're glad you weren't passionate about medical equipment.  Thanks for all the great audio products and solid engineering that went into them.  May you enjoy many years of happy and healthy retirement.   

@ James,  congrats and best wishes!  Enjoy. 

techguy0192

« Reply #16 on: 2 Feb 2021, 11:10 pm »
Best wishes for continued success to all of those at Bryston. 

Glad to see the company under excellent leadership and still made in Canada, eh. 

Spyman

« Reply #17 on: 2 Feb 2021, 11:13 pm »
Wow! What news! I wish I had heard of this earlier in the day so I wouldn’t be so late with my congratulations, I met you at RMAF as well right after the introduction of the BDP-1. You were very patient with me while explaining how it worked and what it did. Now my system is loaded with Bryston products, thanks to you.

When I told my wife, she said, “Well, I guess he needed something else to do!” James, really, congratulations.

gdbalp

« Reply #18 on: 3 Feb 2021, 01:56 am »
James,

I could not think of a better person to acquire Bryston and continue the tradition of audio/video excellence...

Bryston is pioneering new audio/video frontiers, can you feel the goosebumps :D :D :D...   

Cannot wait to hear about the future product launches :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:...

Luigi

FireGuy

« Reply #19 on: 3 Feb 2021, 02:05 am »
Interesting news.  I'm sure "in partnership with Colquhoun Audio" is that of Ian Colquhoun (President) from Axiom Audio, whom manufactures Bryston's loudspeakers.   Sounds promising.  Best to both orgs.  Maybe Axiom and Bryston will merge into one entity.  But I'm way ahead of myself here.