DEQX Pdc:2.6

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #420 on: 20 May 2005, 09:44 pm »
That's only if you're doing binary miking instead of close miking, multi-channel and then the mixer moves the sound around.   So, I still don't see the issue.  Most stuff is mixed in a way that wouldn't cause a problem.  Skrivis is partly right, part of the time.

csero

« Reply #421 on: 21 May 2005, 12:00 am »
Quote from: John Ashman
That's only if you're doing binary miking instead of close miking, multi-channel and then the mixer moves the sound around.   So, I still don't see the issue.  Most stuff is mixed in a way that wouldn't cause a problem.  Skrivis is partly right, part of the time.

You shouldn't get personal...

The directional hearing based on 3 basic principles, intensity differences between ears, arrival time differences and direction dependent frequency response of the head/ear (HRTF).
Colse miking/panning rely heavily on the first, hope that the second will be recreated atl listening time in the LF and completely ignores the third. It does not mean it wouldn't cause a problem, we just got used to it.

skrivis

« Reply #422 on: 23 May 2005, 01:13 pm »
Quote from: csero
You shouldn't get personal...

The directional hearing based on 3 basic principles, intensity differences between ears, arrival time differences and direction dependent frequency response of the head/ear (HRTF).
Colse miking/panning rely heavily on the first, hope that the second will be recreated atl listening time in the LF and completely ignores the third. It does not mean it wouldn't cause a problem, we just got used to it.

If we correct the basic flaws in stereo reproduction, simply miked recordings of things like orchestras will sound excellent.

Multi-mono recordings don't have the timing cues built-in, but our corrected speakers won't add screwed-up cues. We'll then get a better "picture" of what was on the recording.

Crosstalk also effects the third principle, HRTF, so we don't want to screw that up either.

I recently experimented with just crosstalk cancellation, and it appeared to have benefits for multi-mono recordings as well as simple 2 mike recordings. (And the simple recordings I listened to probably did have spot mikes for some things, so they weren't "pure" Nevertheless, there was an improvement.)

(I'm going to use some hyperbole here.) To simplify, normal speakers aren't correct anywhere.

Corrected speakers will be perfect on some recordings. They will also cause less confusion for the ear/brain on other recordings.

Wouldn't you rather have perfection some of the time instead of not at all? :)

gonefishin

« Reply #423 on: 18 Jun 2005, 10:47 pm »
I have just gotten my DEQX-p incorporated in my system.  I'm using it in a tri-amp configuration on my DIY speakers.  I must say...I was a bit nervous reading that the DEQX doesn't work well with horns.  But after reading some of the good experiences of a few others, such as Steve Schell and Andre of e-speakers, regarding the DEQX with horn systems.  I decided I'd take a leap of faith and buy a used deqx-p from an audiocircle member.

Just having our second child (a boy), I've only been able to get the system up and running with a quick set-up.  So far...this preamp, crossover, eq, speaker correction and room correction unit is impressive.  While my systems been up I've tried a couple of different passive and active crossovers.  But this unit is so much more.  

The level of clarity and the seamless integration I'm getting is just astonishing.  I know I've only scraped the surface of what this unit can do...but I like what I hear so far.

As I mentioned...I only have a quick set-up so far.  But this "quick" set-up still took some time to get right.  I also spent some time gettingsome good measurments because of the effiency of the midhorn.  But it's been well worth the work so far.  

Now, I've got a lot of reading and playing around to do in what little free time I have.  But this just might be fun.

thanks all

dan

John Ashman

« Reply #424 on: 18 Jun 2005, 11:14 pm »
Dan, are you using the driver correction yet?  Or just using the crossover/room EQ?

gonefishin

« Reply #425 on: 19 Jun 2005, 01:10 am »
Quote from: John Ashman
Dan, are you using the driver correction yet?  Or just using the crossover/room EQ?

Hi John :)

Yes, I'm using the driver correction, crossover and room eq.

I've been visiting the Beta site...boy do I have a lot of reading to catch up on!  

now if only I could buy a little extra time ;)

dan

John Ashman

« Reply #426 on: 19 Jun 2005, 01:38 am »
That's good news.  Some have complained to me that DEQX makes the sound of their horns worse and while I've never tried it, my assumption was that the acoustics of the horn confused the processor.  Of course, that could also have to do with the quality of the horn design and how well you measure.  If  you run into trouble, you can cut back on the correction window to allow some of the response run uncorrected.  And then use the parametric EQ to do more general FR correction rather than attempting to micromanage the response.  NHT appears to allow their tweeter run FR-uncorrected, but time/phase-aligned.

gonefishin

« Reply #427 on: 20 Jun 2005, 08:06 pm »
Thanks for the advice John.  Once things quiet down a bit (which may be a while)...I'll get back to you once I have a bit more experience with the DEQX unit.

thanks
   dan

obiwan

« Reply #428 on: 24 Jun 2005, 11:11 am »
This was a long thread to wade through.

I have Dynaudio Special 25's and a Velodyne DD15 sub. At the moment I run the Dyn's full range and let the sub fill in below. I understand then, that if I were to get the DEQX the easiest thing I could do would be to use the DEQX to high pass the Dyns, relieving them of bass duties say below 80Hz and have the Dyns and the sub very accurately integrated. It would also then be a simple matter to "equalise" out the very slight upper midrange, lower treble forwardness that they annoys me slightly.

Even better though would be to have someone (not me) disconnect the Dyn's drivers from its passive crossover and wire each driver to its own amp. Then I would end up with no phase errors between the tweeter and woofer and I'd have even greater headroom, clarity, transparency, whatever word you want to use. Basically that would give me in total a tri-amped system.

I wouldn't want to destroy the look of the rear of the Dyns, especially if I wanted to sell them down the track. I suppose I could just have the speaker leads entering the large back speaker port and then use the foam port plugs to seal it off, as I would no longer need the port output as the sub would be working in that range instead.

Given that I have no understanding of electronics, have I summarised properly what the DEQX could do for me. Would I be crazy to disembody the Dyns in this way?

ctviggen

« Reply #429 on: 24 Jun 2005, 11:51 am »
Are these Dynaudios (which are, by the way, one of my favorite speaker manufacturers), two way or three way speakers?  I googled and see that they're two way. I wouldn't plug the port.  These guys say you're right about the midrange:

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/speakersystems/1004dynaudio/index3.html

I would try to add connections to the back of the speaker if possible.  This way, you could possibly still sell the speaker.  For instance, two sets of speaker type connections could go directly to the two drivers (disconnecting the connections from the crossovers).  When you go to sell, you then reverse the connections at the drivers and leave in the speaker connections -- it'll be a feature.

obiwan

« Reply #430 on: 24 Jun 2005, 09:14 pm »
These Dyns are a 2-way. I meant I'd effectively have a tri-amped system when you take in account the subwoofer as well.

John Ashman

« Reply #431 on: 24 Jun 2005, 10:09 pm »
Quote from: obiwan
Given that I have no understanding of electronics, have I summarised properly what the DEQX could do for me?  

Would I be crazy to disembody the Dyns in this way?

Yep!  

Nope!

BTW, I've found out that you can now configure dual PDCs, one per speaker and do up to a 6-way speaker!  It won't work with digital ins and you wouldn't want to use the PDC-P version, but you could do two PDCs with a single mic kit for less than $6K and to completely berserk building the ultimate speaker and, even with amps, be well below most "flagship" 3-way or 4-way speakers.  I'm sorely tempted, even though I sell this kinda stuff.  Just to see *how* good you could make a speaker.

obiwan

« Reply #432 on: 25 Jun 2005, 06:06 am »
Hi John,

Another thought. As the DEQX can equalise out the frequency response for you, does that mean differences in amps become almost insignificant. I mean, it doesn't matter if you have a slightly forward or harder sounding amp, as the amp/speaker combination is what's being corrected. I mean so long as amps have similar power rating, current ability, distortion levels etc, the speaker/ amp combo should end up sounding virtually the same.

John Ashman

« Reply #433 on: 25 Jun 2005, 01:51 pm »
Not so much.  The amps will still differ as much as ever.  Most amps are just about perfectly accurate in measurement.  The little differences have to do with very low, almost undectable levels of distortion or the differences with mosfet vs bipolar or things like that, really stuff below the threshold of what DEQX would correct.  If there were an amp that has an obvious peak or dip of .1dB or more, then yes, it would likely fix that, but it is rare to find this.  So, I think you'll still hear differences in amps, possibly more than ever because there are no capacitors, inductors, resistors in the way :)

eduardw

« Reply #434 on: 5 Jun 2006, 03:31 pm »
Time to get this topic running again  :)
I would like to know if there are now more people with experience with the deqx. I also would like to know if other manufactures have an equal  product.

Eduard

obiwan11

« Reply #435 on: 6 Jun 2006, 12:49 pm »
Well if pass an exam on the weekend I'll treat myself to a DEQX I think. I just don't know if I'll use it to blend my bookshelf dynaudio special 25's as they are with my velodyne DD15, or be game enough to disconnect the crossover and biamp the special 25's, or disconnect the crossover in my dyn contour s5.4s and triamp those using the DEQX (and not worry about using the DD15 at all).

JoshK

« Reply #436 on: 6 Jun 2006, 12:54 pm »
At this point, I must say that I haven't used many of the "features" of my DEQX yet.  Been too busy.  I am using it as a DAC/Preamp only right now and can't say I can really complain, especially when used with a Felicia.

I am going to play around with biamping and triamping and correction very soon, so stay tuned.

eduardw

« Reply #437 on: 13 Jun 2006, 01:35 pm »
Thanks, cannot wait to read your comments.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #438 on: 13 Jun 2006, 08:25 pm »
Quote from: eduardw
Time to get this topic running again  :)
I would like to know if there are now more people with experience with the deqx. I also would like to know if other manufactures have an equal  product.

Eduard

There are some alternatives but nothing with all of the features that the DEQX has. What type of system do you want to use it with?

eduardw

« Reply #439 on: 14 Jun 2006, 12:07 pm »
Quote from: Rick Craig

There are some alternatives but nothing with all of the features that the DEQX has. What type of system do you want to use it with?

I want to do an active 2way bi-amp on a stereo system and I also would like to try the room correction features. It will also replace my pre and dac.

But I would like to see more manufactures making similar products.