Amp recommendation for driving the NX Studio Monitors

petemoss

Hi all...i am building a set of the the NX Studio monitors and for now a single sub kit 4.... looking for advice on what amp to use to drive them with.  I have a few things at my disposal that i can use for now until i get more cash and start upgrading the amplifier. 

This would mostly be for 2 channel music. I have a lower end tube amp that i currently use on my XStatics...

https://hifi-exquis.com/en/fuxx-807-cap-tube-amp/74-xiangsheng-sweet-peach-sp-fu50-tube-amplifier.html

I also have a old Adcom GFA-5300 (stock), and 1990 era denon 2 channel receiver, and a Integra Integrated receiver. 

Question 1...for now what of these would you recommend i start with?

Question 2...going forward...is there a reasonably priced amp you can recommend that will mate with these...i am not opposed to building a chip amp kit as some of these are getting some good reviews.

I know that i am probibly doing things in the wrong order and all that but its kind of the way i am going.  I currently listen to most things off  digital through a toppings d50s d/a.  Also on my list of things to upgrade as needed.

Any suggestions appreciated.

maty

Re: Amp recommendation for driving the NX Studio Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2020, 06:04 pm »
Amplification ideas to GR-Research NX-Studio
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167210.0

WarmColors

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2020, 03:09 am »
I should be receiving my Stratos amp from Odyssey audio. I went top of the line. it's expensive and wife was a little upset :/. I just know for sure i will keep the amp for the next 20 some years and maybe every 10+ years send it back for an upgrade... Which will be hundreds of dollars rather than what i spent 2k for the whole amp it self.

I will be pairing them with the Studio monitors as well and i will be using the servo sub kit1.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2020, 03:27 am »
Ill be using my PS Audio Sprout 100 for the time being & upgrade to separates down the line and then finish off with a pair of Danny's OB servo subs.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2020, 07:38 pm »
I recently rebuilt an 18w/ch tube amp for my Super-7’s.  Sounds great!

Custom ST35 w/EFB v5

Custom ST35 w/EFB v5

I made a few mistakes with the top plate, hence the empty holes and hardwired power cord.  If I were to make another one that would all be fixed.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2020, 07:42 pm »
Ohh that looks awesome! :thumb:
I definitely want to try some Tube amps at some point, even if its just a preamp.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2020, 08:18 pm »
Corndog!

Bravo! Great minds think alike! I have Dave Gillespie’s EFB circuit here for a 6U8A + PP EL84 version of that design! Transcendar transformers throughout.

Which chassis did you use? You can pm me if you’d like.

Best,
Anand.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2020, 05:20 am »
I designed the top plate with Front Panel Express.  It’s my own layout using a 12AX7 (or currently 5751) as voltage amplifier for both channels and a 12AU7 as phase splitter for both channels.  The top plate is mounted to a Hammond 1444-12103 box.
I have the cheaper Miflex copper caps filtering the bass at the inputs as well as internal coupling caps.  Aside from Dave Gillespie’s power supply circuit board it’s point to point wired with Kimber TC wire.  I also used Vampire copper RCA jacks and Mueller copper binding posts.

I love how simple it is and how great it sounds.  It is dead quiet when nothing is playing too!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 5 Aug 2020, 02:43 pm »
I designed the top plate with Front Panel Express.  It’s my own layout using a 12AX7 (or currently 5751) as voltage amplifier for both channels and a 12AU7 as phase splitter for both channels.  The top plate is mounted to a Hammond 1444-12103 box.
I have the cheaper Miflex copper caps filtering the bass at the inputs as well as internal coupling caps.  Aside from Dave Gillespie’s power supply circuit board it’s point to point wired with Kimber TC wire.  I also used Vampire copper RCA jacks and Mueller copper binding posts.

I love how simple it is and how great it sounds.  It is dead quiet when nothing is playing too!

Nice work! Yes, I use FPE for nearly all my DIY needs. I figured you used the 7247 based circuit since that’s a 12AX7 and 12AU7 in one envelope. PTP would be the only option if you didn’t use the 7247 tube itself.

Mine will use the 6U8A’s which is the alternative input stage/phase splitter circuit as well as less expensive Sonicaps since I wanted everything to “fit“ on Gillespie’s board. Moreover I’ll be implementing a HV delay and regulation for the B+ as well.

For me, that’s about the most I would do with this circuit other than good quality output transformers (Transcendar, Dynaco, etc...), I resisted splurging onto high end transformers like Lundahl, Electraprint, Hashimoto, Toroidy, etc...

Enjoy!

Best,
Anand.