new jack johnson cd out

rosconey

new jack johnson cd out
« on: 1 Mar 2005, 12:30 am »
hope its as good as his others-i will be going out in the blizzard tomorrow to get it :mrgreen:

JoshK

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2005, 12:54 am »
I have one of his CDs and it is growing on me, although I didn't like it at first.  I heard some of his new one on the radio the other day and it sounded good.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2005, 02:20 am »
I've only heard On and On, but I listen to it several times a week!  I can't wait for the new one.

FITZ

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2005, 04:18 am »
I first heard him on a surf video and went looking for a name, album, etc.. Seeing him discussed here is blowing me away!

Enjoy.

Fitz

arthurs

Rolling Stone Mini-Review
« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2005, 04:50 am »
Gave it 2.5 stars, they took issue with a couple of songs that take a stance against warmongers, etc. but also cited some tunes that were good old Jack at his best.

rosconey

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2005, 12:17 pm »
hey rob -brushfire fairytails -is his other alblum and its also a killer-

rosconey

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2005, 11:50 pm »
been spinning this for a few days now :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2005, 05:41 am »
I just picked up In Between Dreams today.  I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I hate the packaging- the cardboard sleeves suck bad enough on their own, but at least they usually have a plastic hub to put the disc on.  With just a pocket the disc could get pretty scratched up.  I'll probably have to make a box with SureThing.

Still, I'm anxious to spin the disc...

MaxCast

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2005, 12:30 pm »
I just picked up On and On
Only listened to it once and it sounds pretty good.  Good thing they put the lyrics in there.  I can hear his words just fine, but sometimes he loses me with his poetry. :P

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2005, 09:27 pm »
Well, after just one listen I don't like it as much as On and On.  I played it for my brother and he asked me if the record label forced him to use more instruments this time. :lol:   Sure sounds like it- I really loved the spare, lean sound of the last one much better.  The "strumming the guitar around the campfire" quality of it was much more appealing to me than the denser, slicker arrangements of In Between Dreams.

Still, there are some very good songs on it, and I'll have to give it a few more spins before I can state anything definatively.

drewfidelity

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #10 on: 9 Mar 2005, 10:12 pm »
I have been listening to the new Jack Johnson album in the car for the past few days and it is his weakest full album release so far.  "On And On" and Brushfire Fairytales" are, in my opinion, exceptional albums.  I can listen to them from top to bottom every day and not need to skip a tune or change CD's in the middle of the session.  If you do not own either of these discs they are well worth getting.

This new album has some great cuts, tune #7 is my favorite so far, but it also has quite a bit of filler.  It is very well recorded with great bass definition.  It is a good album, but not great.  That is what I expected considering the first two albums.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2005, 06:43 am »
After listening to On and On from CD-R for a couple weeks, I bought the CD (does the RIAA get it that it very often works that way- we bum a CD-R and buy it once we decide we like it?).  I haven't yet heard his earlier work, but based on On and On I imagine I'll buy the rest.

R_burke

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2005, 10:31 pm »
In a similar vein is Amos Lee.  I just got his new self titled release on Blue Note.   IMO it's good stuff, well worth giving a listen to.  

http://amoslee.com/

toxteth ogrady

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2005, 09:43 pm »
Blechhhh.... I don't get why so many people like Jack Johnson's music. The guy just plays the same tepid uninspiring music on every track of every cd. I liked a couple songs I heard when he first came on the scene but after buying his cd and listening to it a total of three times it became part of my coaster collection. To each his own, but I don't get why guys like Jack Johnson get built up... same vanilla formula for every song... another one trick pony. If you like the "tempo" of Jack Johnson's stuff but want to hear a musician with versatility give some of Ryan Adams stuff a listen, or better yet a great new artist (actually not new but new in the sense that he's starting to get mainstream attention)... Hayden/ Elk lake Serenade. Can't go wrong with Ani Defranco's two cd set Reckoning/ Reveling... the reckoning cd is one of the best recorded cd's I've heard and the music is fantastic... just don't buy it if your politics lean to the right cuz you won't be able to get past her lyrics.

To hear some of Hayden's stuff click on the link below.
http://www.hardwoodrecords.com/videos.php

Carlman

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2005, 10:42 pm »
Quote from: toxteth ogrady
Blechhhh.... I don't get why so many people like Jack Johnson's music...

I like most of his music but haven't heard the latest.  It's not ground-breaking but very enjoyable.  

I don't understand how you could detest it so much as to call it a 'coaster'... say 'Blech'... etc... However, thanks for letting us all know that's he's terrible and for letting us in on what's best according to you.  I don't know what I'd do without you, great lord of music.  :lol:

-C

rosconey

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2005, 10:45 pm »
carlman :notworthy:  :stupid:

toxteth ogrady

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2005, 11:28 pm »
SILENCE... THE GREAT LORD OF MUSIC SPEAKS!

I reread my post and realize I came off a little harsh on the guy. Didn't intend to insult anyone if they enjoy his music either... just not my cup of joe. I have a lot of friends who are musicians, doing different interesting things and I guess I just share their frustration on how hard it is to get any mainstream attention. Just expressing an opinion though... afterall this forum is all about opinions and often those opinions don't agree. In the future I'll be a little more... ahem... genteel with my opinions.

THE GREAT LORDS OF MUSIC - If I ever start my own band I think I found our name... thanks Carlman :wink:

Brad

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #17 on: 12 Mar 2005, 02:12 am »
My fiance had recommended Jack a few weeks ago.  I just picked up On and On on vinyl for $5 new on *bay.

I saw Amos Lee open for Norah Jones last summer.  He was pretty funny and I liked his music.  Hope Jack Johnson is just as good or better.

Thanks for the tip![/i]

Brad

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #18 on: 12 Mar 2005, 02:56 am »
Universal has another copy of ON AND ON for $5 on *bay if anyone else is interested.

rosconey

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #19 on: 12 Mar 2005, 12:11 pm »
after i read you found vinyl jack johnson at i went to ebay last night and found -on and on -brushfire fairytails so i bought bolth for 17$ shipped-

thanks for the heads up :mrgreen: