new jack johnson cd out

Carlman

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #20 on: 12 Mar 2005, 02:27 pm »
Quote from: toxteth ogrady
.. reread my post ..

Hey man, glad you saw the humor in it... I agree about the opinion part.  I too have friends that make most of what's out today look like talentless ass-clowns.  I don't like the current state of affairs of music business.  It's essentially 'the man' keeping people out and everyone I know who's made it in music changes their tune from being 'against the man' to 'well, the man's paying my bills' just after getting signed.  So, it'll never change.

Back to the Jack Johnson new cd thread...

Oh, but before that happens, thought I'd mention that the new Tori Amos album is really good.  I'm not a big fan of hers but the new album could almost make me one.  For one thing, she lost that stupid 'haunting' effect on her voice that has irritated me throughout her past albums and even live.  

The recording of 'Beekeeper' is very well done.  My only complaint as to the recording choices is that they made Tori a little too close to the mic.. or too hot.. or something.  But it's minor.  She also uses a Hammond organ as a good flavor in most of the songs.  There's one where it sounds like a phone ringing, though.... but there's about 19 songs, so, if you skip a few, there's still a lot of good music.

NOW back to JJ and whatnot... ;)

John Casler

Re: new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #21 on: 25 Mar 2005, 09:52 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
hope its as good as his others-i will be going out in the blizzard tomorrow to get it :mrgreen:

Picked it up a few days ago at the suggestion of Mike (CryoTweaks) and all I can say is "THANKS MIKE" you were right, it is very good. :thumb:

This is my first taste of Johnson and he has that light, airy, voice of the John Sebastian, Al Stewart, Michael Franks types.

Good tunes, well recorded, not pushy or compressed.  

Might cause me to consider one of his earlier works.

rosconey

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #22 on: 25 Mar 2005, 11:28 pm »
try one of his earlier works john-they are even better than the new one
i like--on and on a little better than brushfire fairytails

Brad

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #23 on: 26 Mar 2005, 01:56 am »
Got the vinyl in from *bay.
Sounds excellent.  My fiance really loves the music.  It's growing on me.

Thanks again for the suggestion.   8)

nicksgem10s

new Jack Johnson
« Reply #24 on: 26 Mar 2005, 04:17 am »
I really like his music.  In addition to his 3 releases be sure to check out his Itunes originals for some cool interviews and some excellent music.  I purchased it for I believe 10.00 and am really happy with it.

John Casler

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #25 on: 26 Mar 2005, 02:48 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
try one of his earlier works john-they are even better than the new one
i like--on and on a little better than brushfire fairytails

Thanks for the suggestion.

Next time I'm in Tower.

Or maybe, I'll try and hit the VIRGIN MegaStore this weekend.

jackman

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #26 on: 26 Mar 2005, 03:23 pm »
Hi Guys,
I'm a big Jack Johnson fan but have to say that I prefer Brushfire Fairytales much better than anything else he has done.  I've only heard a couple songs from the new album but they seem pretty cool.  Most of the songs from On and On were written at the time of Brushfire but didn't make the cut.  

Don't get me wrong, the songs on On and On are cool but I didn't feel the album was as cohesive as the first.  I did like the version of Rodeo Clowns which was originally recorded for G. Love and Special Sauce (written by Jack Johnson).  I'm a big G. Love fan even though he never made it to mainstream fame like similar artists like Beck.  Here is a link to the G.Love album, check out his version of Rodeo Clowns:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000JQFU/ref=m_art_li_3/103-5256849-2797443?v=glance&s=music

If you like Jack Johnson's cool laid-back vibe and rythmic acoustic work from the first record, Brushfire Fairytales, you will love his soundtrack from the movie "Thicker than Water".  I love the acoustic guitar work on this album, which features full acoustic versions of Jack's earlier works.  Listen to this link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000UX5IY/ref=pd_sim_music_7/103-5256849-2797443?v=glance&s=music

Here is another album from a movie that features some cool acoustic funky tracks and a cover of my favorite Jimmy Buffet song by Jack Johnson as well as a G.Love song.  I may be the only person I know who loves G.Love but his sound is totally unique and cool. Also, check out track 6, Ganges a Go Go.  

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007GD14/ref=pd_sim_music_2/103-5256849-2797443?v=glance&s=music

For those who don't know, Jack was raised in Maui.  His father was a famous old-school surfer and Jack surfed competitively until he had a serious accident when he was in his early teens.  He later when to film school in southern Cal, and filmed some very famous surfing videos featuring surfing God Kelly Slater.  I read this on some website but i see different stories posted everywhere about this (in Rolling Stone, etc.).  

I'm glad he decided to switch to music because he's got a very cool and original style.  Cool acoustic island grooves mixed with old-school funk.  A winning combination in my book every time!

J-man

rosconey

new jack johnson cd out
« Reply #27 on: 10 Apr 2005, 06:24 pm »
just opened -brushfire fairytales vinyl-its a heavy ass disc-alot thicker than the -on and on- lp-
also a different maker-on and on is by HMC and brushfire is pressed by ENJOY RECORDS
these are sweet lp's btw