Amateur Build of the X-MTM Encore

Hobbsmeerkat

Re: Amateur Build of the X-MTM Encore
« Reply #240 on: 30 Jan 2021, 04:12 pm »
Ok - Not sure what is going on here, but all of my pictures have disappeared from my thread here.  They seem to be in my gallery, but all of the links are gone or something like that has happened.... :bawl:

I found a “request for site help” thread and posted my finding there, along with many others:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=174648.new#new

That seems like a good place to post issues like this.  Hope someone comes up with a fix as this is a mess...
If anyone knows what is going on, post it there and let us all know...

Yeah, it's happened to all threads and posts. Right now. Not sure what happened, but hopefully it wont permanently affect the forum for all current and past posts

jonsk2514

« Reply #241 on: 30 Jan 2021, 04:34 pm »
I saw that other threads across AudioCircle were affected.  It would truly not be good if this can’t be recovered...  And I have heard nothing from my post on the AC help thread.

As that goes, I finished the bases for these speakers.  These have adjustable feed so I can level the speakers in the old and warped house I live in...  :roll:  And they are an out rigger style so they support the speakers from tipping over.

I can now declare them to be done.   :dance:
Pictures to come when the site problems are fixed...  :x

jonsk2514

« Reply #242 on: 30 Jan 2021, 04:52 pm »
(Deleted post)
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2021, 07:00 pm by jonsk2514 »

jonsk2514

« Reply #243 on: 30 Jan 2021, 05:17 pm »
(Deleted post)
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2021, 07:01 pm by jonsk2514 »

jonsk2514

« Reply #244 on: 30 Jan 2021, 09:23 pm »
I AM DONE!
THE X-MTMs ARE FINISHED!

At least as much as I plan to do.  I may do some sort of covering for the drivers and ports.  But not thinking of that now.

The last thing I had to do was to make a base for these.  They are top heavy and on carpet they are tippy.  And my floors in my old house are less than perfectly level.

Here is what they look like

The stands are perfect, IMHO...  :green:

The stands started out as a layout on my work bench.  It was the only place large enough to be able to make the radii that these used.

Have you ever seen one of these?

I picked them up from a used tool store that we used to have around here.

I add a pencil to one pointer using some Loctight blued gummy stuff.

I used this to layout the large radii for the sides of the bases.  Once I had the whole thing laid out on the workbench to my satisfaction I transferred it over to a plywood template.  The template also had holes drilled in it for where the mounting screws and the leveling knobs/screws are to go.

The outline of the template was traced onto some vernier finished 3/4” plywood and the holes were transferred to the plywood by drilling to just a shallow depth.  After the pieces were cut from the plywood, I finish the drilling on a drill press to ensure the holes were straight.

Sanding the radii presented a challenge.  I needed a curved sanding bloc.  I found that the backside of the rubber sanding blocks I have would work for this, as did the sticky back sandpaper I have.

I rounded the top corner with with a 1/2” round.  Then painted them with a primer (happened to be white) and then used a roller to put on the gloss black enamel latex.  This left an interesting texture and in places the white of the primer shows through, which gives them a bit of a marble look.

I used 1/4”x2” threaded knobs for the levelers and put nylon acorn nuts to keep the floors from being scratched.  At first I was going to use threaded inserts, then I found I could thread the 3/4” plywood with a 7/32” hole with a 1/4x20 threaded rod with some wax added to the rod.  I ran the rod in and out a few times with a drill to work the wax into the wood.  It makes for a tight fit and I don’t have to worry about the levelers backing out with any vibrations.

I added sheet of adhesive back black felt to them where the speaker will mount.  The thought for this is that the  bases won’t stick to the speakers and it will keep the interface from making any noises.

I used black button head screws with Allen wrench sockets, through the base, to attach the base to the speaker and threaded inserts in the bottom of the speakers.  The only thing I would have done differently would be to put the inserts into the speaker bottoms long before I put the drivers in... :duh:

Done!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #245 on: 30 Jan 2021, 10:46 pm »
Cool, I bet you're happy to get to the finish line.
I know that compassy thing as a trammel, but that could be just my definition.  Kind of a cool looking old thing.

Hobbsmeerkat

« Reply #246 on: 30 Jan 2021, 11:54 pm »
Those look great!  :thumb:

jonsk2514

« Reply #247 on: 31 Jan 2021, 12:40 pm »
Cool, I bet you're happy to get to the finish line.
I know that compassy thing as a trammel, but that could be just my definition.  Kind of a cool looking old thing.

Very happy.  This is one case where the destination is better than adventure to get there.  I am thrilled with the way the speakers sound.

You nailed on the name, trammel.  I looked it up and here is Starrett’s current web page for these:

https://www.starrett.com/category/111302#currentPage=1&displayMode=grid&itemsPerPage=12&sortBy=wp/asc

I love a lot of the old school tools.  So many of them were very well made, served a purpose with a bit of genius and simplicity, and they typically had a flare for artistry.  I am glad I picked it up when I saw it.

Those look great!  :thumb:

Thanks!

I owe a great deal of this successful completion to everyone who offered advise, those who posted about their builds, which I read a lot of, and those who posted build videos.

And I appreciate everyone who followed this, made comments and carried on various discussion.  It help to shape my thinking about doing this build.  This might never have happened without this web site...  :thumb:

And there is more to come...   :green:

jonsk2514

« Reply #248 on: 14 Feb 2021, 01:19 pm »
I have already started a new set of builds.  This time it is an X-CS that will be a center channel to go with these X-MTMs and a pair of X-LS that will be a birthday present for on of my daughters.  The builds are coming along nicely and if you would like to follow along, I have started a new thread here - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=174915

jonsk2514

« Reply #249 on: 20 Feb 2021, 06:42 pm »
A friend saw my X-MTMs and thought he would try them as the sound system for his classic Mini: