2-CHerry vs Stereo Maraschino (STM)

AmpDesigner333

• Facilitator
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
2-CHerry vs Stereo Maraschino (STM)
« on: 10 Mar 2020, 04:16 pm »
We have been asked so many times recently about the STM versus the new 2-CHerry amplifier, so here's a quick note on the differences....

STM has an input select (front/back) and volume control.  The 2-CHerry is a "plain amp" without any preamp features.  The STM also has a selectable sleep mode (on/auto/off).  The 2-CHerry is set to auto-sleep unless the no-sleep option is selected at the time of purchase.

The 2-CHerry has several advantages over the STM.  One is the power supply to amplifier path.  All x-CHerry amps (2-CHerry, 3-CHerry, 4-CHerry, 5-CHerry) have Power Pipes™ to connect the power supply to the amp channels.  This is in an effort to reach the lowest resistance possible to the amplifier channels.  The STM has an external power supply, so the power goes through several connectors and a DC Cable (DC_SNAKE is standard with the KING STM, 3-ft or 6-in length available).  The 2-CHerry also has triple rail capacitance, now even with the standard version.  This is not possible with the STM, which can have double rail capacitance at most.  The 2-CHerry also features lower THD+N across most of the power band.  Both have that "sweet Cherry sound" !!

Another aspect is price.  The STM is priced significantly lower than the 2-CHerry.  Current list prices (in USD):
  Standard STM: $1200 (MK1) -- MK2 upgrade is $290
  KING STM: $1700 (MK1) -- MK2 upgrade is $290
  Standard 2-CHerry: $2490
  KING 2-CHerry: $2990

AvsFan

Re: 2-CHerry vs Stereo Maraschino (STM)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2020, 06:20 pm »
We have been asked so many times recently about the STM versus the new 2-CHerry amplifier, so here's a quick note on the differences....

STM has an input select (front/back) and volume control.  The 2-CHerry is a "plain amp" without any preamp features.  The STM also has a selectable sleep mode (on/auto/off).  The 2-CHerry is set to auto-sleep unless the no-sleep option is selected at the time of purchase.

The 2-CHerry has several advantages over the STM.  One is the power supply to amplifier path.  All x-CHerry amps (2-CHerry, 3-CHerry, 4-CHerry, 5-CHerry) have Power Pipes™ to connect the power supply to the amp channels.  This is in an effort to reach the lowest resistance possible to the amplifier channels.  The STM has an external power supply, so the power goes through several connectors and a DC Cable (DC_SNAKE is standard with the KING STM, 3-ft or 6-in length available).  The 2-CHerry also has triple rail capacitance, now even with the standard version.  This is not possible with the STM, which can have double rail capacitance at most.  The 2-CHerry also features lower THD+N across most of the power band.  Both have that "sweet Cherry sound" !!

Another aspect is price.  The STM is priced significantly lower than the 2-CHerry.  Current list prices (in USD):
  Standard STM: $1200 (MK1) -- MK2 upgrade is $290
  KING STM: $1700 (MK1) -- MK2 upgrade is $290
  Standard 2-CHerry: $2490
  KING 2-CHerry: $2990

All of the things listed above are topics we have discussed. Thank you for making this thread though, I like to read things over and over again, plus this will be an ongoing thread moving forward. Who better to discuss the differences between the STM and 2-CHerry than a customer that has experience with both amps? Well other than you, the one who designs and builds them.  :D

I have used the STM for almost a year now and am very familiar with it's sound and limits. I have used two totally completely different speakers with the STM. Magnepan LRS's and ZU Audio Omen MKII Dirty Weekends. Both sounded spectacular with the STM. The STM transformed the ZU's the way no other amp I have used has. It took control of the ZU's. That's expected due to the 97db efficiency of the ZU's. Easy speaker to drive but they do sound a lot better with more power. Now on to the Maggie's.
As you already know, I love the STM! It's a really good amp and the sound is beautiful. However, the Magnepan LRS's, they are VERY demanding and I am getting the STM to go into protection mode on some material at higher volumes. Also, the sound, once again is beautiful. Everything is there. The lush rich sound, details and resolution and deep wide sound stage, all there. The only this is, it sounds like the music is just being conveyed through the Maggie's, not really taking control of the Maggie's the way it did with the ZU's. I guess there is a limit for what 125 watts will do with a 4ohm 86db speaker. And Mag's have always been known to make lesser amps cry. Not that the STM is a lesser amp, just needed a little more juice. For some time now, we have been discussing the move to upgrade to the King version with the 60v power supply. However, after even more discussions with you, we decided on a completely different approach and amp. And this 2-Cherry seems like a PERFECT match for my situation. I have a feeling that the 2-CHerry will do to the Maggie's, what the 48v STM did to the ZU's. I think it will be a revelation. Like a wow moment. This is REALLY what these speaker can do?!?!?!?! I remember a conversation I had with Sean, owner of ZU Audio a few years back, he said "Of course our speakers sound good on a 2 watt per channel SET amp, but feed them some power and they respond well." He basically told me that he likes power. I have a feeling the Maggie's are going to respond VERY well to the 2-CHerry and I will really get to see what the LRS's are capable of. Will report back with my impressions. 

morganc

Re: 2-CHerry vs Stereo Maraschino (STM)
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2020, 07:11 pm »
What are the benefits of triple rail capacitance?