WTB DAC

deuter

Re: WTB DAC
« Reply #20 on: 11 May 2020, 10:59 am »
I managed to get a new Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK3 DAC with tube and USB clock upgraded and Sabre 9038Pro chips.

Really enjoying the sound. So detailed and huge sounding with holographic soundstage  without sounding digital yet maintaining the bite in instruments when it calls for.

jtsnead

« Reply #21 on: 11 May 2020, 12:08 pm »

deuter

« Reply #22 on: 11 May 2020, 10:45 pm »
Is it this one?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000554895341.html?src=google

That’s the one but there are more configuration options on Musical Paradise website.

JackD

« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2020, 12:20 am »
jt

I wouldn't buy it from there just to save a couple of dollars.  Garry's shipping is free to the US and he stands behind it when he sells it.  And like Deuter said there are other configuration options available on his website.

beeah

« Reply #24 on: 12 May 2020, 04:56 pm »
Thanks for the follow up, Deuter.  Interesting choice. 

I recently moved from Bryston BDA-1 to BDA-2, the latter using the AKM 4399.  It’s a pretty big improvement IMHO over the BDA-1’s Cirrus DAC chip.   Enough so that I am expecting a Topping D90 to be delivered today, which uses the AKM 4499.

TL;DR: I woulda gone with the AK4497 option...

mhconley

« Reply #25 on: 12 May 2020, 06:09 pm »
Thanks for the follow up, Deuter.  Interesting choice. 

I recently moved from Bryston BDA-1 to BDA-2, the latter using the AKM 4399.  It’s a pretty big improvement IMHO over the BDA-1’s Cirrus DAC chip.   Enough so that I am expecting a Topping D90 to be delivered today, which uses the AKM 4499.

TL;DR: I woulda gone with the AK4497 option...

I agree with the comment that the Musical Paradise is an interesting choice. I've been drawn by the ability to swap DAC modules. I wrote Musical Paradise a couple of months ago and they said AK4499 modules would be available this summer. It would be very interesting to do a comparison between the top of the line ESS Technology (ESS9038Pro) and Asahi Kasei Microdevices (AK4499) DAC chips in the same unit.

I have a Topping DX7 Pro with the ESS9038Pro chip.

Martin

deuter

« Reply #26 on: 12 May 2020, 09:26 pm »
I agree with the comment that the Musical Paradise is an interesting choice. I've been drawn by the ability to swap DAC modules. I wrote Musical Paradise a couple of months ago and they said AK4499 modules would be available this summer. It would be very interesting to do a comparison between the top of the line ESS Technology (ESS9038Pro) and Asahi Kasei Microdevices (AK4499) DAC chips in the same unit.

I have a Topping DX7 Pro with the ESS9038Pro chip.

Martin

There is more to this DAC then just the DAC chips, In fact the only reason I went with Sabre was because Garry recommended it based on my system sound signature and listening habits.
The tubed output stage and rectification  along with the upgraded USB input and not to forget cap swap options really allows one to tailor the sound.
I come from having tried some of the most expensive dacs and this one I believe is definitely on par if not better.