Phono stage advice and opinions needed...

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Phono stage advice and opinions needed...
« on: 28 Feb 2020, 04:53 am »
Been exclusively streaming for quite a while now from a server.  Getting back in to vinyl.  Have a VPI HW19 Mk II, RB300 with new weight and incognito rewire, table came with a VDH MM-1 with a new stylus.  Looking for a phono stage and would love some advice from those who have been into this.  Need to keep it under $700 and used is just fine.  Things I am considering (but welcome to other suggestions!)

IFI iPhono2
Hagerman Cornet 3
Graham Slee ???
Lehman Black Cube
Musical Surroundings  Phonomena II
Vincent PHO 701
Vista Audio
Lounge Audio.

Would be nice to have a combo MM/MC unit but as of now, just MM is fine and then either upgrade or add a step up transformer later if I move to a low output MC.  Kind of depends on how the Van den Hul sounds. Have not heard this cartridge.

Thanks in advance for all opinions.

Mgarcia80

Re: Phono stage advice and opinions needed...
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2020, 09:55 am »
I've been happy with the mobile fidelity phono preamp.  It has adjustable gain settings and a subsonic filter. It has gotten great reviews. Any of the musical fidelity preamps are excellent as well.

jawks

« Reply #2 on: 29 Feb 2020, 01:50 pm »
I am in the same situation!  Just sold my Coincident phono stage, which was wonderful but overkill for my current life/listening situation, and am looking to simplify life with a high quality phono stage under $1000, ideally $500 or under.  Considering the same models as you, especially iPhono2.  I've also been looking at the Musical Fidelity V90-LPS and Schiit Mani, both of which I heard are excellent at their price point.  I have a Well Tempered Amadeus mkII with a Hana SL MC cartridge. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #3 on: 29 Feb 2020, 02:05 pm »
I gave some input to your same query over on AN.   Just wanted to post it here in case some folks might be interested and don't get out much......     :lol:

I have owned the Vista.  Excellent for the $$.

I heard one of the more expensive Graham Slee models at a buddy's.  It too was VG, but you'd have to go used to meet your budget.

I currently own the Tavish Vintage 6SL7,  JuicyMusic Tercel Mk2,  and Blue Circle BC27-pi.   All can be had used in the 500 to 700 dollar range.   All handle both MM and MC.  Tavish and BC have adjustable load for MC.  JM uses Jensen transformers with 10X turns ration so it is fixed at 470.   I recommend all these units without hesitation.

The Juicy might be a bit tough to find now that Mark Dineen is no longer in the game.  A few years ago I'd see them fairly frequently on the used markets, but I think guys have figured out just how good they are and are holding onto them.  Same thing with the JM preamps (Blueberry, Peach and Merlin).   I also own the Blueberry Xtreme.

You might also look into the Jasmine.   Flexible with lots of adjustments.  Many folks like it, and I owned it for awhile, but I prefer the models listed above.
« Last Edit: 29 Feb 2020, 09:54 pm by sunnydaze »

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 29 Feb 2020, 06:51 pm »
The Tucson Audiophiles will be listening to a Hagerman Cornet3 on March 28th and we may have time to compare it to my highly modded Cornet2 that I built from a kit and has about $950 in parts.
I haven't heard it yet but would guess the Cornet3 sound will be very, very close to my Cornet2, in which case I would highly recommend it.

Until then there is a Hagerman Bugle2 Phono Preamp MM/MC with Power Supply on eBay for $175
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254420650831

Contact Ken for more info about his Cornet3, he is a great guy and loves tubes. His USB cables are the best too.
https://www.jmaxwellusb.com/

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 29 Feb 2020, 07:50 pm »
  I would contact Vista and ask Boris to custom it to your Cart/arm needs. Not a Vista dealer.

charles

sunnydaze

« Reply #6 on: 29 Feb 2020, 09:22 pm »
  I would contact Vista and ask Boris to custom it to your Cart/arm needs. Not a Vista dealer.

charles

The current stock Vista Phono 2 is fully adjustable for gain and load.  Why would he need to customize anything?    :scratch:

jawks

« Reply #7 on: 29 Feb 2020, 09:24 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation about the Vista 2.  I had not considered that one before, but based on the couple of reviews, I'm intrigued.

twitch54

« Reply #8 on: 29 Feb 2020, 09:54 pm »
My brother in-law just recently acquired the Schiit unit and I must say it's one nice inexpensive unit.

https://www.schiit.com/products/mani

With the savings this would afford you you can get some  cleaning essentials (every bit as important) and buy some new vinyl !

jawks

« Reply #9 on: 29 Feb 2020, 10:02 pm »
The Mani is definitely on my radar.  I'm just wondering if for a little extra the Vista 2 would be a better long term purchase?  I already have an LP vacuum cleaner and plenty of vinyl.   :D

bacobits1

• I spilled my fruitloops
« Reply #10 on: 29 Feb 2020, 11:16 pm »
The Vista 2 is indeed a good choice. As John mentioned no need to custom anything. it's all there
switchable adjustable gain to 70db, sub filter etc. Boris would let you return it too. It is nicer than the ifi 2 I had, and the Vista will NOT require any futzing with upgraded power supplies like an ifi 2 I had.

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2020, 12:16 am »
Audio by Van Alstine Vision Phono $499. MM/MC, user adjustable loading

JackD

« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2020, 02:39 am »
+3 on the Phono 2 as an easy choice in this price range and it is good out of the box and needs no mod's or upgrades.  Take the word of people who actually own it. Looking at it the AVA Vision seems to be another alternative. 

jawks

« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2020, 02:55 am »
That’s a lot of support for the Vista! Thanks so much for the input!

JackD

« Reply #14 on: 1 Mar 2020, 03:29 am »
Reach out to Boris as he will be glad to discuss the Phono 2 with you.

displayname

« Reply #15 on: 1 Mar 2020, 05:14 am »
Ifi iPhono 2 sounds excellent, however some user have reported reliability issues. I didn't have any issues while I owned one, but there have been enough reports that I do like to advise anyone to keep that in consideration.

jawks

« Reply #16 on: 1 Mar 2020, 05:19 am »
Reach out to Boris as he will be glad to discuss the Phono 2 with you.

Thanks, I will try to do so!

jawks

« Reply #17 on: 1 Mar 2020, 05:54 am »
Anyone with experience with the Puffin Audio DSP phono preamp?

sunnydaze

« Reply #18 on: 1 Mar 2020, 01:23 pm »
Anyone with experience with the Puffin Audio DSP phono preamp?

Can't comment on the current DSP model, but I had the older Parks phono (called "The Budgie", now discontinued) in-house for awhile and it was pretty darn good.   IMO, more than held its own at the price point.

jawks

« Reply #19 on: 1 Mar 2020, 01:26 pm »
Thanks for the reply!  Seems like there's nothing but praise about the Parks Audio DSP.  Now I'm stuck deciding between this and the Vista Phono2!