OB H-FRAMES

Bioman

OB H-FRAMES
« on: 21 Jan 2020, 03:59 pm »
I realize there are a few threads on this topic; what I hope to add to the general effort of those who DIY their own cabinets in the future is a cut list with diagrams generated in MaxCut.  In return what I hope to get is some assistance when I have a few questions with my own build.  I am building triples; I can't find a drawing for more than doubles, so I want to make sure I don't waste MDF.

So, first question:  Baffle hight would be 6.5+13+13+6.5=39"; correct.  Second question.  I note that the cross braces in the drawings are offset, yet in the flat packs offered it is a dado slot that does not appear to be offset; what am I missing?

Captainhemo

Re: OB H-FRAMES
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2020, 04:47 pm »
We've  done up numerous  cut sheets for folks over the years,  just  haven't been asked for     them since we started offering the flat packs.

Anyway,      our baffles in the triples are  41"  tall ( 3 13" section for woofers)  2 1"  cross braces  front and rear. Baffles are also 1"  and  come with pre drilled pilot holes in  end users choice of orientation.
We weren't  woried about the  height different , especially on the tripls so no need to  offset braces.
Side panels  are  made of solid 1.5"  high grade MDF as  are tops/bases.  All the  1"  parts are  Medex.

All outer edges are offered  with a .5" rounodver at no extra charge.  There  are options for grills, magnets,  threaded inserts   etc.

Everything is  pretty much self aligning,  side panels are doweled/screwed (bases have the screws to eliminate long clamps)  and braces/baffle fit  in  1"  dado's.

Offsetting the braces  will only work if you  run   the middle driver   facing rearwards

jay

Bioman

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2020, 05:52 pm »
Thanks for sharing Jay.  Doing the dado slots would be a nicer way for me to go.  I used to build furniture, so I have a full shop (including a German-made slider) which I like to use on occasion hence why I am building my own sub cabinets.  I visited Danny this past weekend and ordered a pair of the NX-Treme so I imagine my name will be going onto your to-do list for those cabinets. 

One question, I thought I saw a discussion where Danny said reversing the middle in a triple was necessary for proper operation; I may have misunderstood, is this a pros and cons thing?

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2020, 06:15 pm »
Yeah,    we've got the order   :)    It's amtter of getting  caught up right now but it is  definately inthe  quue .
No,  you  don't  need to reverse the middle driver for proper operation (they are just wired differently, all in phase), at one point  I think folks were concerned about  cabinet balance due to all   the magnets on the rear side...   doesn't   seem to be an issue at all.   The pair  we sent Danny  which he is using now  have all 3 woofers  forward  and actually,  I'd  say  85% or more of the kits we're sending out   have    the woofers  all forward.

Enjoy  the build :)

Here's a link to  some diagrams and write ups  I did  ,  just pick your  orientation  and  follow the   diagram or step by step paragaph
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149708.msg1600884#msg1600884
With regards to the dado's,  yeah, it really  makes it easy to assemble/glue up.  We have another version done up that uses  all dowels to eliminate dealing with the seams   where bracesmeet   grill rabet but,  it's  harder to align the   parts  and get  a clean, non messy glue up for  folks so  we haven't been  doing them

jay
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2020, 07:43 pm by Captainhemo »

Bioman

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2020, 06:53 pm »
Thanks for the assist.