Lii Audio Crystal-10 Drivers

nature boy

Re: Lii Audio Crystal-10 Drivers
« Reply #40 on: 21 Jan 2020, 06:48 pm »
My understanding is they float the images above the speakers, which is pretty interesting especially if you can be only 8’ back from the drivers. I think I’d still be inclined have them on a baffle closer to ear level at the expense of some bass. Years ago when I was experimenting with the Visaton B200 I mounted two drivers on each baffle, one at ear level and the other down low driven with a plate amp for bass reinforcement. It seemed to work quite well with the 8” drivers.

Still I’d like to hear the 15” drivers in the Betsy baffle arrangement as illustrated above. So you don’t feel the need for a tweeter and you don’t perceive the soundstage as being too low?

As previously mentioned a taller baffle increased the height of the soundstage.  The smaller Caintuck Audio baffles give me a very realistic 6' tall soundstage.

I suggest you check out the Decware Betsy Baffle forum for additional information on adding a tweeter. My recollection is some tried adding a separate super tweeter with no noticable improvement. Some DIYers are building variations with tweeters and/or additional bass drivers either with resistors or simple crossovers. I prefer the simple, one driver approach and lack the woodworking equipment/skills to experiment. FWIW, I'm just really delighted with the F-15 driver in a simple barrel shaped baffle.

NB

Wind Chaser

« Reply #41 on: 21 Jan 2020, 07:07 pm »
The smaller Caintuck Audio baffles give me a very realistic 6-7' tall soundstage.

Wow, that is really quite surprising. I’d really like to hear these.

versus rider

« Reply #42 on: 8 Feb 2020, 12:33 pm »
I have had crystal 10 for some time now. Before that I had fast 10, also very good and have F15 in open baffle. Fast 10 and F15 will be sold due to space constraints. I was using my Sony receiver with crystal 10 for a while but had an urge for another valve amp, but then decided I would like something like first watt SIT but so thin on the ground I turned my attention to something I had been looking at for a while but knew nothing about, Bakoon amplifiers. Long story short I bought an earlier model 11R 15w/channel. Has transformed the crystal 10 from very good to the best sound I ever heard, anywhere.

versus rider

« Reply #43 on: 8 Feb 2020, 12:39 pm »

versus rider

« Reply #44 on: 8 Feb 2020, 12:41 pm »
Can someone turn the image around

oskar

« Reply #45 on: 8 Feb 2020, 03:17 pm »
I can't help with that but please tell about the enclosures for those drivers.
Did you build them and what plans did you use?
Thanks

Wind Chaser

« Reply #46 on: 8 Feb 2020, 04:02 pm »

viggen

« Reply #47 on: 11 Feb 2020, 04:46 pm »
those reminds me of occellias... must resist

thetakeout

« Reply #48 on: 17 May 2020, 10:02 pm »
Nature Boy,

Tell me more!  What else is in your audio chain with the Lii 15's?  what amp/preamp are you using?  Do you have any subs or any of Randy's bass baffles at play in your system?

Thanks for your thoughts!  I am contemplating a build over here myself.

Thanks

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #49 on: 17 May 2020, 10:10 pm »
Buy the F15 soon, never had see such a bargain, you know the Decware prices.

billion$baby

« Reply #50 on: 17 May 2020, 11:57 pm »
LII Audio is working on a set of speakers with the 15.  I just purchased their Crystal Speakers and they showed me the blueprints for the 15 model.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #51 on: 18 May 2020, 12:02 am »
Do its the 15'' OB woofer already released?

TabCam

« Reply #52 on: 3 Jun 2020, 08:22 am »
I can't help with that but please tell about the enclosures for those drivers.
Did you build them and what plans did you use?
Thanks
You can also find plans for speakers on the Lii Audio site, and Leon Huijgens has also a new OB design for Lii Audio units.

Do its the 15'' OB woofer already released?
I think so, at least the W-15 is another (new) woofer on their site.

tranchautuan

« Reply #53 on: 21 Aug 2020, 02:48 pm »
did anyone try to build this Crystal-10 for near-field monitor use? do it sound great? Given my situation, I can only put the bare driver on my desk or put in bookshelf at the side of my desk. however all the plan on lii website are towers.

Les Lammers

« Reply #54 on: 23 Aug 2020, 10:00 am »
did anyone try to build this Crystal-10 for near-field monitor use? do it sound great? Given my situation, I can only put the bare driver on my desk or put in bookshelf at the side of my desk. however all the plan on lii website are towers.

FYI, someone on another forum tried the driver on a small stand the result was less than optimal. YMMV.

uncola

« Reply #55 on: 23 Aug 2020, 11:00 am »
Driver values require floorstanding size box.  Needs additional bass woofer for open baffle.  Bare driver on desk sounds awful.  I tried it with fast 8

tranchautuan

« Reply #56 on: 23 Aug 2020, 02:13 pm »
thanks guys, I don't know to read those numbers except the resistant value. will see if lii got the lil crystal 6 for monitor use

Newbiee

« Reply #57 on: 26 Sep 2020, 04:06 pm »
LII Audio is working on a set of speakers with the 15.  I just purchased their Crystal Speakers and they showed me the blueprints for the 15 model.

Was this a candidate speaker for a 15 inch version of crystal? Then I can wait a little longer to buy.