An airhead in action.

G

An airhead in action.
« on: 3 Feb 2005, 10:41 pm »
Once upon a time there was rather quirky chap who tended to see things in abstract terms and not how they might actually be. As a result of this rather tedious and unfortunate affliction and general lack of "common sense" he tended to overlook things that to the acceptably lucid general public would seem to be, shall we say, if we must, rather obvious.
  This unfortunate fellow decided one day to channel his energy and inspiration into the rather entertaining and frustrating hobby of audio electronics. He toiled into the wee hours of the morning on many an eve to accomplish perceived success and contentment in his, ultimately futile, endeavor and eventually, through hard work, fortitude, and intrepid endeavor, reasonably accomplished his rather useless goal :). He then began to wonder why his beloved copies of music did not sound as dynamic as they once had despite his best efforts to rectify the situation through trial and error and a switching of a great many rather expensive parts.
  Then, while imbibing and enjoying his favorite vices, and generally piddling away valuable hours in his entertaining, yet ultimately meaningless, hobby he had an epiphany. You see, he had built an audio system that, while sounding warm and inviting had one rather unwelcome and most foul quality. It inverted the precious and blessed signal coming from his much acclaimed source. He immediately jumped and hopped and verily he did change the polarity of the specially braided conductors leading to his cleverly designed and much beloved loudspeakers.
  Since that fateful day the rather silly chap has indeed enjoyed the true timbre and pace of his dearest and favorite musical reproductions in their full audible spectrum and all his cohorts and comrades rejoiced and reveled in his contentment. Is that some silly crap or what? I can't believe I didn't make the connection sooner. DUH!! I don't need tweeters anymore Scott.

Scott F.

An airhead in action.
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2005, 11:37 pm »
....It inverted the precious and blessed signal coming from his much acclaimed source. ........Is that some silly crap or what? I can't believe I didn't make the connection sooner. DUH!! I don't need tweeters anymore....

I feel your pain.
Just recently I switched my pre-amps around. What I forgot was that one of them is phase inverting. Needless to say it took me three days to figure out why both of my systems sounded like hammered sh*t.

s

sturgus

An airhead in action.
« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2005, 05:38 am »
Hey fellows it must be something in the water. I picked up a preamp from John last week. I thought to myself this just doesn't sound right. It took me two days before I remembered it inverts phase. Everything is now fine. 8) Hey Scott I have to talk to you. I was going to call you back but I just got finished making some cables for Alex. I will try and call you Fri. eve. Hey Gavin, when are you going to come by and spin some tunes? I think you and Scott should hear my new preamp. SWEET 8)
Sturgus

Tom Grooms

An airhead in action.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2005, 05:44 am »
Tell me about your new preamp. I just got a new one myself. PS Audio's new GCP-200. Good Stuff!

http://www.psaudio.com/products/gcp_preamplifier_overview.asp