Need help choosing, please!

TSWisla

Need help choosing, please!
« on: 11 Jul 2019, 06:41 pm »
Hello, I am desperate for advice.  I am looking for an amp for some Zu DWs that I recently purchased.  They are 97dB and 12 ohm.  I have a small room (16x11).  I listen to everything including large orchestral works and death metal.  I don't listen loudly, I am also not a bass freak, but I like to "feel" the music at times.  I have boiled down my choices to a Decware SE84UFO2 or a Coincident Dynamo with 300b tubes.  I am worried that I will run out of headroom with either of these amps, but especially with the Decware.  Can anyone offer any advice or experience?  Thank you.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Need help choosing, please!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2019, 07:04 pm »
You should be fine.  I run Klipsch Forte IIIs (similar specs as your Zu speakers) with an Elekit amp that can use 300b or 2a3 tubes and I never run out of headroom, even in a larger room. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2019, 07:05 pm »
You should know how many W you need,
look the Paul Joppa rule for some advice.
If you happy under 10W see this bargain.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164652.msg1750612#new

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2019, 07:17 pm »
9Wpc output from typical 300B into 97dB sensitive speaker makes ~106dB max. That's very loud. Headroom should be fine especially if that 12ohm load is tru-ish. Electrical damping from DHT may not be sufficient for complex symphonic work at reasonable volume, but you can try a SS amp to check if your 300B damping is adequate in comparison.

TSWisla

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2019, 07:22 pm »
@richidoo would you say to steer clear of the 2wpc decware in my case?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2019, 07:55 pm »
  9W is a better choice.

charles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2019, 08:30 pm »
If $1600usd are under your budget this big amp is a solution, you will get plenty of power to any resonable speaker even with large orchestral music, opera or electronica, also these 1625 tubes are real cheap and reliable>
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164200.0

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2019, 08:42 pm »
I use for my Daedalus Zeus a pair of Allnic a-311m PX25 at 7.5 watts and would agree that even with movies and extreme bass the compression is without limit, reaching my audible comfort level attaining most visceral experience.  Daedalus is 99dB.

9W over 2w I would agree.

http://hammertoneaudio.com/product/a-311m

TSWisla

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2019, 09:35 pm »
If $1600usd are under your budget this big amp is a solution, you will get plenty of power to any resonable speaker even with large orchestral music, opera or electronica, also these 1625 tubes are real cheap and reliable>
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164200.0
Thank you, but I was looking at SET amps.

TSWisla

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2019, 09:36 pm »
I use for my Daedalus Zeus a pair of Allnic a-311m PX25 at 7.5 watts and would agree that even with movies and extreme bass the compression is without limit, reaching my audible comfort level attaining most visceral experience.  Daedalus is 99dB.

9W over 2w I would agree.

http://hammertoneaudio.com/product/a-311m
Wow, those are huge cash!  Must sound lovely.  I am very frustrated.  I am being told by some that 2wpc is more than enough and others say it isn't even close.  Tough decision, tired of throwing my money away!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2019, 03:39 am »
Wow, those are huge cash!  Must sound lovely.  I am very frustrated.  I am being told by some that 2wpc is more than enough and others say it isn't even close.  Tough decision, tired of throwing my money away!
I had read at the Decware Forum an member from Asia with an EL84 2W amp and a Nirvana Super12CF fullrange driver complaint the amps start to collapse the sound stage in hi SPL, what was informed the amp reached the full power limit.

TSWisla

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2019, 03:59 am »
I am afraid of this, but the owner of Decware is telling me otherwise.  Are you at all familiar with the Coincident Dynamo?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2019, 04:04 am »
Have not heard it, but seems a nice amp also Decware Rachel SE34 at $1495.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0316/Coincident_Speaker_Technology_Dynamo_34SE_MKII_Review.htm

guf

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2019, 11:50 am »
Well I have a bunch of speakers - 94,99,104 dbs. And 2 45 amps that do less than 2 watts’ I have a 300b and AcA, 6 watts and first watt j2. 25watts.  95 % or the time I use the 2 watts. The only reason I switch them out is because I read forums and they they me I don’t have enough power.  Then I put the 45s back in and am so happy. You can read for days. But have to try for your self.  I think you need both . .

TSWisla

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2019, 12:19 pm »
Well I have a bunch of speakers - 94,99,104 dbs. And 2 45 amps that do less than 2 watts’ I have a 300b and AcA, 6 watts and first watt j2. 25watts.  95 % or the time I use the 2 watts. The only reason I switch them out is because I read forums and they they me I don’t have enough power.  Then I put the 45s back in and am so happy. You can read for days. But have to try for your self.  I think you need both . .

I have been reading for days and it is making me crazy!  You are probably right though that the best option would be both.  Having 2 flavors.  I was trying to save money though, dang it!

guf

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jul 2019, 12:34 pm »
I read something the other day that said people rarely start their audio journey  with low watt apps. They arrive there after years of trial and error. I used to have 1000watt mono blocks and loved them and connected with the music , maybe with brute force but I was connected. Now!? Last night listing to 1 watt through 104 dbs speakers I was getting choked up because it was so beautiful. It was not loud. But perfect in so many ways.
 I think a 300b to start. Then look for something lower. I was stoked on a 300b for a great 2 years. Well 1.5...

TSWisla

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jul 2019, 01:46 pm »
I read something the other day that said people rarely start their audio journey  with low watt apps. They arrive there after years of trial and error. I used to have 1000watt mono blocks and loved them and connected with the music , maybe with brute force but I was connected. Now!? Last night listing to 1 watt through 104 dbs speakers I was getting choked up because it was so beautiful. It was not loud. But perfect in so many ways.
 I think a 300b to start. Then look for something lower. I was stoked on a 300b for a great 2 years. Well 1.5...

That is precisely where I am stuck right now.  I am between an 8 watt Coincident Dynamo and a 2 watt Decware.  Having a very, very difficult time deciding.  Well, I have decided about 15 times now, but then I go and read something on the internet and change my mind...

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 12 Jul 2019, 02:25 pm »
  This can be a simple thing. Get both with a money back guarantee and then listen to both. Opinions are just that. Use your own ears to decide PERIOD .

charles

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 12 Jul 2019, 03:52 pm »
I would agree with the statements here....audition is key with option to return, ideally.  This is also hard for dealers because it devalues the unit sent and risk of damage or neglect.  Turning on a tube amp not attached to a load (speakers) can cause harm.

Ever consider a parallel circuit design?  I once had 4 parallel 300b for 50 watts or 60 watts if using XLS version of 300b.  Then I went to 7.5 watt PX25.  I like the character and noticed I didn't need that power, after changing my speakers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 12 Jul 2019, 04:25 pm »
Ketcham what speakers/sensitivity you are using with this PX25 amp?