Problems (again): SP3 does not lock on HDMI port

WillyP

« on: 3 Jun 2019, 08:08 pm »
Hi James / Stan / Mike,

When I tried to watch a movie my SP3 didn't lock. The HDMI LED was red and no matter what I tried, nothing did help. The LED is red and stayed red. Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks,

Willy
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2020, 12:44 pm by WillyP »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Problems (again) with my SP3
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2019, 12:20 pm »
Hi Willy

I will forward for you.

james

WillyP

Re: Problems (again) with my SP3
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2019, 09:46 am »
Hi James,

Still waiting for support from Bryston...

WillyP

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2020, 03:02 am »
Hi James / Stan / Mike,

When I tried to watch a movie my SP3 didn't lock. The HDMI LED was red and no matter what I tried, nothing did help. The LED is red and stayed red. Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks,

Willy

Hi James / Stan / Mike,

Yesterday I had the same problem: The SP3 doesn’t lock. It is impossible to watch a movie now.

Please help!

Kind regards,

WillyP
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2020, 09:21 am by WillyP »

WillyP

Re: Problems (again): SP3 does not lock on HDMI port
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2020, 10:04 am »
Hi all,

I have checked all connections, especially those for HDMI. Not an easy task because all my gear is enclosed in a cupboard. I found out that the HDMI connection was a bit loose. After some fiddling and rearranging the HDMI LED is green now. Let’s hope it stays that way.

The HDMI connection is infamous because of these issues but I don’t quite understand why this problem occurs from time to time. All cabling is within the cupboard, normally out of reach for everyone. My HDMI cables are from a first-class manufacturer, we are not talking here about no-name cables from an anonymous manufacturer. Perhaps I should replace my cables for HDMI cables with a tighter fit.

Kind regards,

WillyP

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2020, 07:09 pm »
Hi all,

I have checked all connections, especially those for HDMI. Not an easy task because all my gear is enclosed in a cupboard. I found out that the HDMI connection was a bit loose. After some fiddling and rearranging the HDMI LED is green now. Let’s hope it stays that way.

The HDMI connection is infamous because of these issues but I don’t quite understand why this problem occurs from time to time. All cabling is within the cupboard, normally out of reach for everyone. My HDMI cables are from a first-class manufacturer, we are not talking here about no-name cables from an anonymous manufacturer. Perhaps I should replace my cables for HDMI cables with a tighter fit.

Kind regards,

WillyP

Try Pangea cables, they really grip well and are bargain priced.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2020, 07:24 pm »
Cable weight can do it alone.

There are a few aftermarket options on Amazon, and I'm sure elsewhere, that assist with HDMI staying put.

Perhaps fasten wires to a wall, etc so there isn't any sag on the connections?

WillyP

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2020, 11:22 pm »
Thanks for the answers, guys. Much appreciated. I think I will have to buy new HDMI cables.

I am a bit disappointed that I didn’t get any serious response from Bryston (James, Stan or Mike). And not for the first time.

Kind regards,

WillyP
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2020, 02:39 am by WillyP »

witchdoctor

« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2020, 03:38 am »
Sure, try the Pangeas, let us know if it works out. Can you ship it back to bryston under warranty if it doesn't help?

WillyP

« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2020, 01:15 pm »
Hello, witchdoctor,

Pangea cables are hard to buy in the area where I live. My dealer has Audioquest and if necessary, I can swap them for other cables. This is the easiest option for me.

I do not know if it is a problem with the SP3, this time. The unit is 2 years old now so leaving 3 years of warranty. As this is my second unit already I do hope that changing the cables will solve this issue. It only shows up now and then so it would be very difficult for an engineer to track down the problem, I guess.

Kind regards,

WillyP

witchdoctor

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2020, 01:33 pm »
I've use AQ interconnects with good results, let us know if it solves the issue.

WillyP

« Reply #11 on: 9 Feb 2020, 09:37 am »
A few days ago I replaced my trusty old Transparent Audio HDMI cables with Audioquest Chocolate cables. As far as I can say, I saw no difference in picture quality. There was a small difference in sound quality: the sound was a bit more open. Not very much, but it was audible.

Until now the SP3 has locked every time, without a hitch. Let's hope the situation stays that way.

Kind regards,

WillyP
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2020, 12:16 pm by WillyP »

WillyP

« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2020, 01:58 pm »
Hi all,

I have been using the new cables for about a month now and unfortunately, the problem is still there. From time to time the SP3 doesn't lock after I have powered on my TV, SP3 and Blu ray player in that order, as recommended in the manual of the SP3; changing the order doesn’t make a difference. The HDMI LED is red and stays red. The only thing that helps is a power off/on cycle and then the SP3 will lock.

There is another problem, though, that is worse. Even when the HDMI LED is green, that does not imply that the SP3 is successfully locked. Sometimes I can hear severe distortion coming from my loudspeakers and a power off/on cycle is necessary.

What makes things difficult, is that these issues occur randomly and not very often. They are not linked to a certain CD or DVD and - coincidence or not - I can’t remember that the lock problem ever happened when playing a Blu ray.

I am afraid it is very difficult for a technician to track down the problem. Last month I played a CD or DVD almost every day and the lock issue occurred about 4 to 5 times. The problem with the distortion, when the HDMI LED is green, while the SP3 hasn’t locked, drives me mad. We all know the stories about a device that is sent to a qualified technician, who can’t find anything. The device is returned after a few weeks and back home the problem is still there. That would be a complete nightmare for me.

In the next coming weeks, I will use a good quality coax cable between the Blu ray player and the SP3. I hope to find out if there are still problems with locking (probably not) or the distortion. At the moment I am not sure if the problem is caused by the HDMI board or the DAC board. Also, it will be a possibility for me to compare the sound quality between the HDMI and the coax connection. In theory, the latter is of lower quality, but perhaps the difference is insignificant or acceptable.

Is there something else I could try? Where is Stan Bleszynski when you need him?

Kind regards,

WillyP

witchdoctor

« Reply #13 on: 2 Mar 2020, 03:17 pm »
The BIG problem is that the light is green indicating lock and then you get distortion. That doesn't seem like a cable issue to me. There are workarounds but this should not be happening and will greatly depress the resale value of your SP3. I recommend shipping it to Bryston for repair. If it gets worse you might experience even bigger issues.

If you want a workaround I'll post one, let me know.

WillyP

« Reply #14 on: 2 Mar 2020, 03:33 pm »
Witchdoctor, thanks for your reply. What are the bigger issues? And what is the workaround? The 7.1 output from the Blu ray player?

Kind regards,

WillyP

witchdoctor

« Reply #15 on: 2 Mar 2020, 03:37 pm »
Here is a work around but its better to get your SP3 fixed. This Essence DAC has an HDMI in and will send HD/ 4K video to your display via HDMI and has 7.1 analog outs that would send the audio to your SP3 via single ended analog inputs. This has the added benefit of making your SP3 4K ready. The DAC was reviewed in Stereophile and the reviewer preferred it the DAC in his Marantz 8805 processor (Marantz flagship). The bigger issue IMO is it may be the HDMI board needs replacing, not just the port:

https://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/product/evolve-ii-4k-hdmi-v2-0-7-1-channel-dac/

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #16 on: 2 Mar 2020, 04:35 pm »
^ LOL. So.... buy a new DAC. That's your "workaround"?
Typical salesperson.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 2 Mar 2020, 11:21 pm »
@willyp:
Have you tried checking the physical integrity of the connectors (jacks) on your SP3 (and also on your sources -- TV etc)? There might be some solder issues inside the unit, at the connector/circuit board joint; you will know only by opening up the unit and doing a visual/manual check. Sometimes it can be nothing more than a loose connector. Did you try jiggling the cable after it is connected, to see if the distortion varies? It seems like your problem initially was solved with a new cable, and then reappeared, as you stated. Could be a mechanical issue with a loosened connection over time. Worth checking before shipping back to Bryston. Just a suggestion.
good luck.

gbaby

« Reply #18 on: 3 Mar 2020, 01:59 am »
^ LOL. So.... buy a new DAC. That's your "workaround"?
Typical salesperson.

You mean typical lunatic.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 3 Mar 2020, 02:23 am »
witchy pooh.