Midwest Audio Fest: update!

Wayne1

« on: 12 Mar 2003, 10:47 pm »
It is getting closer to the time when we will load up the van to head out to Ohio.

I do have some very good news to pass along.

Not only will we have a very good digital source to show off our products, but I was contacted by Chris Brady of Teres Audio who aked if he could share our booth.

I was very excited, to say the least, and I readily agreed.

Chris and his incredible turntable will be in Lima spinning vinyl in the BOLDER Cable Company suite.

Please plan to stop by and take a listen.

For more info on the Teres Turntable, please check out his website: http://www.teresaudio.com/

Brad

« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2003, 10:48 pm »
Wow, great hookup, Wayne.

What is the phono stage going to be?

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2003, 10:53 pm »
Man oh man! Hi-rez, vinyl, tubes, and ribbons. This is going to be sweeeet  8)

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2003, 10:57 pm »
The final phono stage is still to be determined.

A lot will depend on what cartridge/arm combo works best.

Chris and I are going to hook-up this weekend and try out a few variations.

We will have the Radii pre-amp with its own MM phono stage.

Chris will bring along his own handmade MC stage.

I may get in touch with Kevin at K & K Audio about his MC transformer to use with the Radii.

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2003, 11:04 pm »
Another little tidbit  :)

I just ordered a new pair of VMPS 626Rs in FULL WRAP Dark Oak with Soundcoat, Auricaps AND the FST tweeter.

Brian just told me they should ship next week. :D

Mathew_M

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2003, 11:58 pm »
Major coup!  Those Teres tables give me a chub  :oops:  I just wish I had the money and vinyl collection to afford one.

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2003, 12:12 am »
Quote from: Mathew_M
Major coup!  Those Teres tables give me a chub  :oops:  I just wish I had the money and vinyl collection to afford one.

I wonder if Chris knew that Redpoint was going to be there?

There's going to be some killer TT's at the MAF, that's for sure.

Wayne1

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2003, 02:37 am »
Just got back from a listening session with the Teres.

It has been maybe 15 years since I really spent any time listening to vinyl.

I have been missing quite a lot :(

The turntable, arm and cartridge that Chris brought by retail for close to $10K :o , but OH MY GAWD what a sound it produced.

I dug around in my old vinyl and found a Mo-Fi copy of CCR Cosmo's Factory and I also have the new SACD release. The vinyl was SOOO much more involving.

I think we will have some really great sound to share with everyone in Lima.

Woodsea

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2003, 03:13 am »
Wayne, Please bring the new fst 626's, really need to hear to know if I NEED to upgrade :roll:
thanks

mgalusha

« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2003, 03:30 am »
I was fortunate enough to see and hear Chris's table today and as Wayne said, it was awesome. We also compared a Mo-Fi Dark Side of The Moon to the LP and the difference was quite dramatic. Now if I can just win the Lottery and upgrade my analog setup.  :o

Mathew_M

« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2003, 03:36 am »
It's about DAM time you DAM guys started playing some vinyl in those high end rigs of yours.  I bet that Teres is magical with the right recordings and I'm tempted now to go to Lima this april just to hear it (and maybe the Radii as well).

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2003, 04:14 am »
Wayne, don't forget to remind Chris that we're still wondering if he's going to start up a forum here :-)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2003, 05:50 am »
I too got to see/hear the Teres - dang thing looks more like functional art than any other audio gear I've had the pleasure to hear.  The pictures don't do it justice, especially the sheer mass of the thing.  It's thick!

But the sound was very, very good.

Comparing the sound from the Teres to the sound from the Sony SA777ES redbook output was a joke.  The Sony got stomped.  SACD was a lot closer to the quality of sound of the Teres, but Vinyl still has an edge in some areas that even SACD can't really match.  Fun stuff!

nature boy

« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2003, 03:36 pm »
And you guys thought I was joshing when I told you how good vinyl sounded on a good set up.

NB

Wayne1

« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2003, 03:55 pm »
I did speak to Chris about having a forum here. He had some concerns that I think I addressed. You and Marbles may want to e-mail him again so he can get answers straight from the source.

Chris played a recording of Billie Holiday that was recorded in 1958 with all tube electronics. This album he had was cut at 45 rpm. It was the BEST recorded music I have EVER heard. Truly magical :D

I will be bringing my new 626Rs with the FST tweeter, Auricaps, Soundcoat AND a few special mods I have been planning to do for some time. Do the words Bybees and NITRO internal wiring mean anything :wink:

I have also been in touch with Eighth Nerve and we will be using their products for room treatment in Lima. :mrgreen:

Jay S

« Reply #15 on: 17 Mar 2003, 01:33 am »
Quote from: Wayne1
Just got back from a listening session with the Teres.

It has been maybe 15 years since I really spent any time listening to vinyl.

I have been missing quite a lot :(

Sounds like a challenge to me!!   :wink:

Marbles

« Reply #16 on: 17 Mar 2003, 01:47 am »

I will be bringing my new 626Rs with the FST tweeter, Auricaps, Soundcoat AND a few special mods I have been planning to do for some time. Do the words Bybees and NITRO internal wiring mean anything :wink:

Do the words SHOW SPECIAL mean anything?  :angel:

Jay S

« Reply #17 on: 17 Mar 2003, 02:11 am »
Quote from: Marbles

I can't believe I missed that!  Wow, I bet it will sound super!  

There is a big annual audio show in Hong Kong...  :mrgreen:

Wayne1

« Reply #18 on: 17 Mar 2003, 03:50 pm »
There is a big annual audio show in Hong Kong...

Jay, If want want to pay for airline tickets and shipping of the gear, the DAM will be there! :D

I just received the suite layout today from Mike Baker. I sent it off to Bill at Eighth Nerve for his advice.

We should be able to seat between 8-11 people at any one time on the comfy couches, loveseats and chairs in the suite.

If you haven't made plans to attend yet, YOU SHOULD!!. It will be a blast!!.

Oh yeah, there IS a wet bar in the suite and I have talked Marbles into bringing a small keg from his local brew pub :beer:

JoshK

« Reply #19 on: 17 Mar 2003, 03:54 pm »
Actually Wayne, I was just going to ask when you were going to start providing your nitro wiring to VMPS as an option.