The RESISTOR thread. The one ohm resistor on Magnepan high or midrange

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
I decided to try the combo set. Going to make a set of one 3.9 Duelund CASTwith two PATH, and the 39 ohm PATH trim. (I might go up to a 50 ohm trim or 100 just to see what it sounds like. but those trim resistors would not be broken in, and I want to now hear the combo.. so it is the 39 ohm PATH that stays for at least a few days)

In the meantime I had a flash if inspiration.. Put in the OEM ceramic resistors BACK IN.. just see what they sound like!
Immediate sense (same music as two minutes before) well, still music after all. Well balanced. In fact really well balanced. A bit veiled, steely. but not as much as I thought it would be. The music does seem more like from a speaker, than just floating out in space. The magic of 'real' is not a forte' of the ceramic resistor.

The difference between free OEM. and several hundred dollars of resistors is small.
But I have no problem saying yes the aftermarket resistors sound better.
((When I look at cost, and realize I spent $1100 on one pair of IC to replace $350 ones and the small improvement that gave. Then the resistor cost is not a problem, in context.))

As the music is playing a crescendo.. steely.. If I never heard it not being that way. ? would not even know it.

Added: Hour later, finished the 'new' combo sets. Which is one Duelund CAST 3.9 ohm and two PATH Audio 3.9 ohms, and the PATH Audio 39 ohm trim.
Cobbled them together. (NONE of these ever would win an award for appearance. Just bundled together with bits of blue Teflon tape, speed nuts on the wires)

Immediate impression. The sound of the treble and note edges are there from the Duelund  and are sweet, But not the tilt to the highs (not as much. a little, like a hair**.. but full bodied mids and lows **I am playing classical piano duet so.. But the violin and piano sound great! The piano low note have that little growl.. (shivers) So the comment on this is tempered by one album and may change  my opinion a little after a few days of various things played.

So I think this is the final bunch of 3.9 resistors.
I still may swap the trim to 50 ohms or 100 ohms..
With the  39 trim the total is 1.258
with the  50 trim the total is 1.267
with the 100 trim the total is 1.283
No trim brings it right up to the limit 1.30
PATH Audio does not make many higher values .. so 39 ohm them 47 ohm and 50 and 100.
So the values I can make are only a few. Buying more, like a 4.5 ohm one. to go with two 3.9 and then refinding a trim to make it between 1.25 and 1.30 could be done, but that is not gonna be me.
I should just drop the trim and see what broken in 1.3 sounds like.. maybe in a few days. After I listen to the setup as is with a variety of music.
Then I could decide either the 50 or 100 trim, or none.

Added a little later.. Well yeah. really nice sound. Playing Bela Fleck "Drive". detail detail and a great sweet sound. I am happy. Goosebumps!

Added next day: I can say the sum of the parts is greater than the individual resistors. A synergy adds up with using both types. I am, again, really happy with the results. The journey was worth the goal.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2019, 05:41 pm by Elizabeth »

Elizabeth

Almost a month later, I am satisfied with the 1.3 ohms as the final set of values. Naturally I have thought of playing further with higher (swapping a 1.3 to a 4.7 which is the closest, and then again adding a trim resistor. Or dropping the current 1.3 ohms with a trim... But all in all the 1.3 seems to be working out over a very large variety of music. I have 'moved on' in my fiddling to adding butcher blocks under stuff. And noticing how dampening or hard surfaces change the sound. But that is a different story.
So after all the fooling around. I have left the 0.75 Duelund CAST for the treble (with the choke I made of 30 some turns of wire)
And the combination of one 3.9 ohm Duelund CAST with two Path Audio 3.9 ohm resistors in parallel to give 1.3 ohms for the midrange value

Endo2112

• Particularist
I'm glad that you were willing to give the Path's a go!! I've enjoyed your resistor thread immensely, very thorough and well written.

Congrats,

Don

Elizabeth

I'm glad that you were willing to give the Path's a go!! I've enjoyed your resistor thread immensely, very thorough and well written.

Congrats,

Don

Yes the Path Audio resistors are good. MY one warning is the very long break in time I found to be important, in judging them. After several weeks I was about to 'give up' on them, and someone wrote an oddball response (I view such as 'cosmic warning to  pause, stop and think, 'something is fishy' warning from the cosmos.) which made me step back, and ask myself what could I be wrong about... and give the Path another few weeks. And glad I did.
My theory about why they took so long... is due to using multiple resistors in parallel, they did not have the usual current needed to break in at the typical pace.
I am all for not falling for long break in.. but the Path really did take a long time on my speakers, to meet my standards, anyway.

I.Greyhound Fan

I tried the 1 ohm resistor supplied by magnepan  to tone down the tweeter a little in my 1.6's.  I did not like the sound.  I then tried a 1 ohm Mills resistor and it gave a warm sound but the sound stage was smaller.  Although I did not use it for more than 2 hours.   I then switched to a Duelund graphite 1.2ohm and the sound was smoother,  cleaner with  a hint of more transparency and air.  I still use it today

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
  The resistor choice depends on ones systems character to begin with. Magnepan allows for attenuation of the tweeter for "brighter" or "hot" systems by allowing a resistor to be tried to tame tweeter.
  My experience on this matter over numerous years of experimentation is that it was NOT the tweeter that needed attention. It was either ones front end or accessories added like power cords or other tonality changing tweaks.
  Yes a resistor is an inexpensive way of so called tuning. My thought is look into what else is causing ones dislike of the tweeter.  What we found setting up numerous Maggie systems were inferior power products like conditioners, PC, IC's and usually the culprit the speaker cable and jumpers.
  With some systems though few the resistor was ALL the Doctor ordered. Not an easy task but fun along the path to Nirvana. Enjoys your journey and look in the right place.

charles