Building the ZEUS

ketcham

• Industry Participant
Re: Building the ZEUS
« Reply #40 on: 25 Mar 2019, 04:01 pm »
It has been 3 months since I posted on this thread but I wanted to update Daedalus followers regarding amplification.

I sold off my SET parallel 300b circuit 60 watt amplifier for a single stage 7.5 watt simple circuit amplifier.  This 7.5 watt amplifier drives the Zeus without issue!  Ever for high dynamic range streaming movies the bass is tight, visceral and without distortion. 

Interestingly on a recent 6Moons review, this amplifier was negatively criticized and the reviewers findings were drastically different.  However his speakers were 92-93dB efficient, as I recall.  Zeus are 99 dB.

John.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #41 on: 25 Mar 2019, 06:54 pm »
It has been 3 months since I posted on this thread but I wanted to update Daedalus followers regarding amplification.

I sold off my SET parallel 300b circuit 60 watt amplifier for a single stage 7.5 watt simple circuit amplifier.  This 7.5 watt amplifier drives the Zeus without issue!  Ever for high dynamic range streaming movies the bass is tight, visceral and without distortion. 

Interestingly on a recent 6Moons review, this amplifier was negatively criticized and the reviewers findings were drastically different.  However his speakers were 92-93dB efficient, as I recall.  Zeus are 99 dB.

John.

Thanks John, For the record getting a speaker to really play well with others requires more than just high sensitivity. An extremely flat impedance curve is almost as important. I have heard some speakers that are about 90db sound great with low power amps, but they presented a very flat impedance load to the amplifier. Our systems do both, and that is why they do so well with any quality amp. The impedance is better than +/- 1.5 ohms above 100 hz. Many systems out there have as much as a 12ohm range above 100hz and even at high sensitivity that type of load does not do well with amplifiers.

cheech

« Reply #42 on: 25 Mar 2019, 08:21 pm »
ketcham, would you be agreeable to stating , either in this post or via pm, which 7.5 watt amp you are now driving the Zeus with. I have Argos V2s and have been considering trying either a 300b or 2A3 amp .  I current rotate driving the Argos with either a Line Magnetic 518IA 22wpc 845 Set, Finale Audio 7189 MK2 22wpc EL84M/7189A , or Modwright LS100/KWA100SE combo. Thanks

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: 25 Mar 2019, 08:57 pm »
https://www.audioshark.org/allnic-175/new-product-6-watt-px25-tube-monoblocks-15501.html

There is a thread I started here that will give you information.  I run Osram PX25 valve circ 1937.  and Osram U52 Rectifier.

These amps are dead silent.  Ear to speaker...silent.

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/allnic4/

cheech

« Reply #44 on: 26 Mar 2019, 12:44 am »
Thank you ketcham

A_shah

« Reply #45 on: 26 Mar 2019, 08:33 am »
https://www.audioshark.org/allnic-175/new-product-6-watt-px25-tube-monoblocks-15501.html

There is a thread I started here that will give you information.  I run Osram PX25 valve circ 1937.  and Osram U52 Rectifier.

These amps are dead silent.  Ear to speaker...silent.

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/allnic4/

John ,
thanks for the link to 6moons review , it was an interesting read

Asghar

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #46 on: 4 Feb 2020, 02:53 am »
It has been some time since I posted anything regarding Daedalus. 

Having now listened to many types of speaker design,  I have found nothing on the market that compares to Lou's speakers.  After some adjustments in my system, I am confident that his speakers perform splendidly with low wattage amplifiers.  To my taste, read SUBJECTIVE interpretation, SET amplifiers provide better micro detail without sacrificing dynamics.  Source implementation and preamp are also pivotal.  However, when given a 'proper' signal these speakers are without limits. 

Importing and exporting electronics and even international freight remains at its easiest historically, I encourage anyone worldwide to give Daedalus strong consideration.  The price to value, especially of this quality is quite possibly unbeatable.

advanced101

« Reply #47 on: 4 Feb 2020, 04:53 pm »
I know you run the Allnic Amps, what is the rest of your system?  I have an Allnic H3000, has me itching to get an Allnic Preamp. 

dodgealum

« Reply #48 on: 4 Feb 2020, 09:58 pm »
Thanks for checking in.....was wondering how you were enjoying the big boys! Over a year now with my Apollo's and the honeymoon goes on, and on, and on.............

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #49 on: 5 Feb 2020, 07:36 am »
The presentation is the sum of all parts and I finally am getting some genuine magic from my system.  One challenge is that my system exists in the main living space of the house so there lay certain functional limitations.  Lou, however, was kind enough to visit traveling through town and gave me more insight. 

I would say the Zeus are very easy to handle, pack and position.  They would perform fine in a room with 9' or greater ceilings.  The 11's are likely the sweet spot for value and performance.  My wife prefers the 11's by a wide margin from an aesthetic standpoint.  The Zeus project predated her, so they were grandfathered into the relationship.  :thumb: