L2 Signature Preamplifer - Information and Discussion Thread

Vinnie R.

Re: L2 Signature Preamplifer - Information and Discussion Thread
« Reply #20 on: 2 Aug 2018, 02:24 pm »
Daaaamn!!! Even the bare chassis looks sassy  :wink:

Awesome job Vinnie. I will have to rename my LIO trust fund...

BTW heard the new amps in Axpona and they were brilliant...unfortunately could not spend a lot of time due to the constant flow of eager enthusiasts

Thank you, rollo and soulforged!

Also, I posted some new details of the new L2 Phonostage option (click on the L2 Phonostage tab) on the L2 Signature Preamplifier page:
https://www.vinnierossi.com/l2-signature-preamplifier/

Vinnie

jtwrace

« Reply #21 on: 2 Aug 2018, 02:46 pm »
If one buys the L2 pre does one get a discount on the L2 amps? 

Vinnie R.

« Reply #22 on: 3 Aug 2018, 04:20 pm »
If one buys the L2 pre does one get a discount on the L2 amps?

Hey jtwrace et al,

There is not a package discount with buying the L2 Pre + L2 Monos together (but I do allow for LIO trade-in's for those buying the
L2 Pre and L2 Monos together). 

For those looking to only purchase the L2 Pre, I can offer "some" LIO trade-in credit, but you need to email me directly about this.

I have also received some questions about if there is any L2 "introductory" pricing, so I need to clarify:

The current prices listed on the website for the L2 Preamp and L2 Monos *are* the introductory prices, and most likely will not change throughout 2018.  After that, they are likely to increase.

Thanks,

Vinnie

jtwrace

« Reply #23 on: 3 Aug 2018, 04:49 pm »
There is not a package discount with buying the L2 Pre + L2 Monos together (but I do allow for LIO trade-in's for those buying the
L2 Pre and L2 Monos together). 

For those looking to only purchase the L2 Pre, I can offer "some" LIO trade-in credit, but you need to email me directly about this.

I'm confused about the above.  The first sentence says you do allow for LIO trade in for the package.  If one is only buying the Pre a LIO trade in isn't 100% credit like the VR model has been? 

Vinnie R.

« Reply #24 on: 3 Aug 2018, 05:27 pm »

I'm confused about the above.  The first sentence says you do allow for LIO trade in for the package.  If one is only buying the Pre a LIO trade in isn't 100% credit like the VR model has been?

Hi jtwrace,

Sorry for the confusion.  Let's take it step-by-step:

- If you are buying the L2 Preamp + Monoblocks together, there is no discount pricing.

However, if you are buying the L2 Preamp + Monoblocks together, and you have a LIO, you can trade-in your LIO (100% trade-in credit).

- If you are only buying the L2 Preamp, there is not a 100% LIO trade-in credit.  I should be able to offer partial trade-in credit on a case-by-case basis, so one needs to email or call me directly about this (not via the forum).  It would be up to you if you want to take the partial trade-in offer, or sell it privately. 

Vinnie

jtwrace

« Reply #25 on: 3 Aug 2018, 05:32 pm »
Got it now, thanks! 

tbzc

« Reply #26 on: 6 Aug 2018, 12:42 pm »
New preamp looks very interesting. Would like to have some additional info:
- what is the gain of L2S?
- can the gain be adjusted?
- does it have a polarity switch?

Thanks for answering.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #27 on: 6 Aug 2018, 07:50 pm »
New preamp looks very interesting. Would like to have some additional info:
- what is the gain of L2S?
- can the gain be adjusted?
- does it have a polarity switch?

Thanks for answering.

Hi tbzc,

Welcome to the VR forum!

- The L2 Preamp's gain is approx. 8 - 10 dB (depending on the tube family used).  I plan to take gain measurements with different tubes (but even that can vary from brand to brand), but let's just say approx. 9dB of voltage gain. 

- The gain is not adjustable (initially I had a gain adjust switch in the design, but that mildly compromised the circuit so I eliminated it).

- However, you can internally bypass the DHT preamp stage all together.  This runs the signal through an exceptionally clean, ultra high bandwidth Class-A JFET unity gain stage (0dB).  I thought this would be a nice feature if someone wanted to listen *without* the DHT's in the signal path (to compare and contrast when using different amplifiers, speakers, etc. or just to change it up for a while), or if one is waiting on a new set of tubes and wanted to continue enjoying the L2 Preamp.

- The L2 preamplifier stage does not have a switch to swap absolute polarity of the L and R channels.  The L2 DAC option for the L2 Preamp *does* have the option to swap absolute polarity on the fly via the L2 remote handset. 

Best regards,

Vinnie

8)

flkin

« Reply #28 on: 8 Aug 2018, 06:07 am »
Hi Vinnie

Beautiful beautiful design!  :thumb: Congratulations for making design and ultimate sound come together so well.

Can you summarise what's the difference between the L2 preamp and the LIO DHT preamp for existing users of your LIO DHT system today? How is the sound impacted and what changes can we expect to hear?

Also will the LIO platform continue to be developed?

Thanks, Kin, Thailand

Vinnie R.

« Reply #29 on: 9 Aug 2018, 03:36 pm »
Hi Vinnie
Beautiful beautiful design!  :thumb: Congratulations for making design and ultimate sound come together so well.
Can you summarise what's the difference between the L2 preamp and the LIO DHT preamp for existing users of your LIO DHT system today? How is the sound impacted and what changes can we expect to hear?
Thanks, Kin, Thailand

Hi Kin,

Thank you!

I'll be discussing in detail the differences in sound quality, functionality, etc. in the next coming weeks (along with adding a new L2 Preamp Tube Rolling thread).  The increase in performance of L2 Preamp vs. LIO DHT PRE is substantial, and just as the L2 Monoblocks are by far my best amplifier design to date, the L2 Preamp is by far my best preamplifier design (and the same is true with L2 Phonostage).  They are completely new, incomparable designs from the ground up.

Right now I'm very busy getting L2 Preamp into production.  We are on target to begin production of the L2 Preamp, L2 Phonostage, and L2 Dac in early September. :hyper:

Yes, it will.  8)

Thank you,

Vinnie

flkin

« Reply #30 on: 10 Aug 2018, 06:46 am »
As the LIO DHT is already sounding so good in my system with your DAC2.0, I can't imagine it being taken to the next step!

Look forward to your coming discussions.