New preamp looks very interesting. Would like to have some additional info:
- what is the gain of L2S?
- can the gain be adjusted?
- does it have a polarity switch?
Thanks for answering.
Welcome to the VR forum!
- The L2 Preamp's gain is approx. 8 - 10 dB (depending on the tube family used). I plan to take gain measurements with different tubes (but even that can vary from brand to brand), but let's just say approx. 9dB of voltage gain.
- The gain is not adjustable (initially I had a gain adjust switch in the design, but that mildly compromised the circuit so I eliminated it).
- However, you can internally bypass the DHT preamp stage all together. This runs the signal through an exceptionally clean, ultra high bandwidth Class-A JFET unity gain stage (0dB). I thought this would be a nice feature if someone wanted to listen *without* the DHT's in the signal path (to compare and contrast when using different amplifiers, speakers, etc. or just to change it up for a while), or if one is waiting on a new set of tubes and wanted to continue enjoying the L2 Preamp.
- The L2 preamplifier stage does not have a switch to swap absolute polarity of the L and R channels. The L2 DAC option for the L2 Preamp *does* have the option to swap absolute polarity on the fly
via the L2 remote handset.