BDP-3--newbie question--connecting it to a wireless network

Ilkatze

I got my BDP-3 today.  It has the built-in Wi-fi option.

Everything is plugged in, and the unit seems to be working nicely.

My question is about "finding it" or "connecting it" to my wireless network.  My network requires a password--is this an issue?

Nothing happens when I type my.bryston.com (no devices are found).  Using the IP address for the BDP doesn't work either.

I see "Bryston Digital Player" as a "connectable network", but can't connect to it, even using the default password--just something I tried.

I imagine my problem is extremely easy to fix and that I've overlooked or missed something in the manuals/posts on this circle.

In case it can help, after turning on the player, the display reads "Bryston BDP-3" on the first line, and on the second line there is an "N".  A bit later, the second line shows "MPD Ready".

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

Mag

Re: BDP-3--newbie question--connecting it to a wireless network
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2018, 03:03 am »
If you are running your network through your computer are you using a firewall?

Ilkatze

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2018, 03:07 am »
Hello, Mag.

Yes, I'm using a firewall.

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2018, 03:16 am »
Okay I have to go to my other computer I'm on my tablet.
You need to add a subnet, Bryston digital player, then type in the ip address.

Ilkatze

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2018, 03:27 am »
Thanks for your idea, Mag, though I'm not familiar with adding a subnet.

I added a rule with the player's IP address, but it had no effect.  I use a Norton product and will look into how to create a subnet.

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2018, 03:32 am »
Okay with my firewall I have to 'add new item' to network zone. Then under 'general tab' BDP-3, digital player. Then under 'hosts' type in the IP Addresses. On my BDP-1 the IP Address ranges from 192.168.0.100, 192.168.0.101, 192.168.0.102, 192.168.0.103. Host name IP address.

Hope this helps, may have to reboot router afterward.

Ilkatze

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2018, 04:05 am »
Hello  again, Mag.

I have an option to add a device (trusted device), so I added the BDP.  I used the IP address.  There was no effect.  I tried the MAC address, but that didn't help.

I rebooted the router--no effect there either.

I'm sure the problem is with me--just not sure how to get this thing working.

Is it odd that there isn't a password entry option on the digital player?  Cell phones, printers, televisions, and Wi-fi speakers have connected to my network with a password  option.

We can continue this thread offline if you wish.

In the meantime, I'll continue looking into how to get this thing working.

Thanks for the time you've taken to help me.

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2018, 04:20 am »
I'm pretty sure it's the firewall, I had the same problem.
Reset network on BDP, reboot router, an add BDP to your network using IP address. Should work.

Ilkatze

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2018, 04:36 am »
Darn....I did a network reset on the BDP, rebooted the router, and the player is added under my firewall.  Still nothing.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit.  I don't  see anything  odd in my settings.  I turned on network discovery, turned on file sharing--a television now shows up, but still no digital player :(

Mag

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2018, 04:51 am »
Using your browser typing bryston ip address in url window you should get the BDP display. Remember the ip address changes on BDP when you reboot it. To see what the ip address is on BDP you have to scroll the arrow key when it initializes.

Ilkatze

« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2018, 05:12 am »
Unless I'm reading something incorrectly, it seems that the BDP-3 is keeping the same IP address throughout reboots/resets.

When  I type the IP address into a browser (I've tried 3 different browsers), I get a "connection timed out" message.

Mag

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2018, 05:30 am »
You should have network setting on bdp. You have to scroll down on arrows to find it, reset the network. I have a bdp 1 so may be different then what you see.

Ilkatze

« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2018, 05:45 am »
I'm going through another network reset now.  I've done this previously, as well as restarting the network service.

Things are still the same.

I'm  thinking the issue may be related to my Windows settings or something in the router.

I'll get back to this sometime tomorrow.

Thank you very much for your help.

Calypte

« Reply #13 on: 6 Feb 2018, 06:50 am »
I'm interested in reading this.  I can access my BDP-pi readily on one of my computers and on my cell phone.  But on another computer it wants me to enter an ID and password, and it shows the BDP-pi as being under another device, for which it wants the ID and password.  I have no idea what the network wants me to enter.  I've tried everything I've used recently, including the info for that other device, but nothing works.  I don't understand why it works fine with one computer but not the other.

Mag

« Reply #14 on: 6 Feb 2018, 07:49 am »
Below are screen shots of my computer. The first is my network, note BDP-1 is below 'Trusted' which was an added item. I then reconfigured the Firewall. Next is the BDP with the IP addressed, note 192.168.0.104 is not listed.
Next is the screen shot of IP address in Google browser, 192.168.0.104

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #15 on: 6 Feb 2018, 11:38 am »
I'm interested in reading this.  I can access my BDP-pi readily on one of my computers and on my cell phone.  But on another computer it wants me to enter an ID and password, and it shows the BDP-pi as being under another device, for which it wants the ID and password.  I have no idea what the network wants me to enter.  I've tried everything I've used recently, including the info for that other device, but nothing works.  I don't understand why it works fine with one computer but not the other.

Hi

The ID and Password for the Bryston is ... bryston and bryston.

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #16 on: 6 Feb 2018, 12:08 pm »
Try rebooting the computer once all settings are entered in?   :scratch:

Ilkatze

« Reply #17 on: 6 Feb 2018, 02:09 pm »
I'll be out until late afternoon, though in the meantime, here is more information on my issue with not being able to access the BDP-3 through a browser.

On two different cell phones, it's the same as with my computer--no access (using http://my.bryston.com).

I'll try a tablet later today (early evening).

I'm thinking I need to change something in my router (ASUS RT-AC68U)--I don't see anything in my router configuration that I recognize as allowing a DHCP reservation (something I noticed on p. 7 of the BDP manual), but my knowledge of networking is limited.  I'll remain hopeful on resolving my problem.  I'll ring Bryston support later this week if my issue persists.
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2018, 04:06 pm by Ilkatze »

srb

« Reply #18 on: 6 Feb 2018, 02:52 pm »
I don't see anything in my router configuration that I recognize as allowing a DHCP reservation (something I noticed on p. 7 of the BDP manual), but my knowledge of networking is limited.

You can set static DHCP reservation addresses in the ASUS RT-AC68U under Advanced Settings > LAN > DHCP Server

Set Enable Manual Assignment to Yes, then enter the MAC Address and IP Address of the device.

Then set that static IP address in the BDP-3 configuration.

Steve

Ilkatze

« Reply #19 on: 6 Feb 2018, 03:04 pm »
Steve,

Thank you for your idea.  I'd tried that, but wasn't sure about the IP address.  When I use the IP for the BDP, I get a message saying that the address is invalid.  Is there something different I should use for the IP address?
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2018, 07:56 pm by Ilkatze »