BDP-3--newbie question--connecting it to a wireless network

srb

Re: BDP-3--newbie question--connecting it to a wireless network
« Reply #20 on: 6 Feb 2018, 03:26 pm »
As long as you are using an IP address from the DHCP Pool defined by the Pool Starting and Ending addresses, and the address is not assigned to another device, there should be no conflicts or invalid address messages.

Steve

Ilkatze

« Reply #21 on: 6 Feb 2018, 04:14 pm »
Steve,

The IP address for the BDP isn't assigned to another device.  I'm not familiar with IP starting and ending addresses.  On a quick look at the topic, I found technical language beyond my understanding.  I'll keep with this and see how things go later in the day when I'm home again.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 6 Feb 2018, 07:08 pm »
A BDP with WiFi should be broadcasting it own wireless network, "Bryston Digital Player" and its protected by the password "bryston1" (without quotes).  Once you connect your computer or tablet to this wifi network you can talk to the BDP via your devices web browser and tell the BDP which wireless network is yours and what the password is.  You should have received a copy of the instructions linked below, but it sounds like you had not.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/WiFi/BDP%20WiFi%20Adapter-draft%201.pdf

Chris

Ilkatze

« Reply #23 on: 6 Feb 2018, 07:46 pm »
Thank you, Chris.

I did not have the instructions you mention, and I did notice that there was a netword called "Bryston Digital Player" (and I didn't view the instructions in the link you've referenced, as I figured--mistakenly--that they were specific to the Wi-fi dongle; I have the built-in Wi-fi).  I tried 'bryston" as the password, but now see that it should be "bryston1".

I ran a "reset password" on the digital player.  Will it be "bryston" or "bryston1"?  I *think* it said "bryston" when I did the reset.  Using "bryston" didn't work, though, when I tried connecting to the Bryston Digital Player network.

I'll try the new password later today when I arrive home.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #24 on: 6 Feb 2018, 07:59 pm »
WPA protection requires the password to be atleast 8 characters in length, the default wifi password should always be bryston1 and the default password for everything else should be bryston

Chris

Calypte

« Reply #25 on: 6 Feb 2018, 11:27 pm »
Hi

The ID and Password for the Bryston is ... bryston and bryston.

james
For the computer that doesn't connect, this doesn't work.  The computer that doesn't connect has gotten the idea that the BDP-pi is part of a domain called "OBSERVATORY."  It wants me to enter credentials for "OBSERVATORY."  In fact I have a computer named "OBSERVATORY" (I have an astronomical observatory), but it's not usually on unless I'm doing astronomical imaging, and it shouldn't have any relationship to the BDP-pi.  Entering the credentials for the observatory computer don't work to connect to the BDP-pi.  I have another computer that connects just fine to the BDP-pi.  The computer that works doesn't think the BDP-pi is part of OBSERVATORY.  My Android cell phone also connects without a problem.

Ilkatze

« Reply #26 on: 7 Feb 2018, 12:46 am »
Success!

I followed Chris's direction to use "bryston1" as the password, and all is well with the Wi-fi connection.

Thank you, Chris, and thank everyone else who took time to help me with this question.

Calypte

« Reply #27 on: 8 Feb 2018, 09:53 am »
It occurs to me that I haven't been accurate in describing my connection problem with the BDP-pi.  People are probably scratching their heads as to why the suggested passwords don't work for me. 

I can operate the BDP-pi using Manic Moose software from both laptops that have it installed.  I can operate BDP-pi using the Manic Moose software from my Android cell phone.  On any of these three instruments I can create playlists and I can play music (it's classical music mostly, not "songs").  The user and password "BRYSTON" work just fine for operating Manic Moose, although I don't have to enter it now.  It pops up and works just fine. 

What I can't do with one of the computers is directly access the Passport drive that I have attached to the BDP-pi, using the network window.  Using the problem computer, I can't add data ("songs") or modify files on the Passport.  The BDP-pi shows up in my network as part of the spurious domain "OBSERVATORY," and when I try to get into it so I can work on the drive, it asks me for a user and password.  Nothing I've tried works.  It's some sort of a Windows security problem (Win 8.1).  This isn't not a life or death issue, but there's a matter of convenience that makes use of the problem computer desirable.