someone's selling their Bolder modded XR45 . . ..

J North

« on: 11 Dec 2004, 12:23 am »
Not mine, but thought someone here may be interested.

I agree with the ad that the high end on the stock Panny's leave something to be desired.

Gotta wonder why its for sale though . .. .

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intamult&1107899242

gongos

« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2004, 12:42 am »
The price seems pretty steep.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2004, 12:49 am »
Quote from: gongos
The price seems pretty steep.

I think it is actually higher than what it cost to modify + what you could have gotten an X45 for!!!

I think the person is a little off on his asking price.

If it was more reasonable, I would seriously consider buying it.

George

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2004, 01:18 am »
I modded two XR-45s for him.

I guess he decided he only needs one.  :wink:

It does have the Bybees on the L & R outputs. Mod cost was $950.00.

As there are very few XR-45s left, I guess he is trying to get full value for one.

jasonc

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2004, 01:37 am »
Hi guys,
I haven't had time to post anything here just yet with my new baby girl home  :D.
Wayne, I just got the one I do think I know who your referring to though.
To explain why I'm selling I guess it's important to note why I got it in the first place which was to have a great HT system and music system all in one.  The  modded 45 does offer this but my priorities have changed back to 2 channel listening lately (mind you the 45 is no sloutch in this dept.) but I just have that itch lately to try something else. If I had the money I would not be selling this unit but I don't so my curiosity could be your gain.  If I regret this decision  I guess time will tell.
As far as what I paid for it the unit was 300.00 and the mods came to 950.00.
1100.00 does seem steep for a used unit but I am trying to get the most I can for it.  I also feel after owning the unit it's worth every cent of that.  
If you're interested and you can't swallow the 1100.00 make me an offer, perhaps we can work something out.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2004, 01:48 am »
Quote from: jasonc
Hi guys,
I haven't had time to post anything here just yet with my new baby girl home  :D.
Wayne, I just got the one I do think I know who your referring to though.
To explain why I'm selling I guess it's important to note why I got it in the first place which was to have a great HT system and music system all in one.  The  modded 45 does offer this but my priorities have changed back to 2 channel listening lately (mind you the 45 is no sloutch in this dept.) but I just have that itch lately to try som ...

Jason,

Generally you don't get back more than 50% of the mod price when you sell.  As I know you are looking for substantially more, I don't think we have much middle ground.

I hope you get as close to your asking price as possible.  

Given the events of this year, I bet you do!!   :lol:  :lol:

George

jasonc

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2004, 01:59 am »
Hey George,
I'm gonna ride it as long as I can :lol:

Quote from: zybar
Jason,

Generally you don't get back more than 50% of the mod price when you sell.  As I know you are looking for substantially more, I don't think we have much middle ground.

I hope you get as close to your asking price as possible.  

Given the events of this year, I bet you do!!   :lol:  :lol:

George

gongos

« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2004, 03:34 am »
I'd think about offering something, but the starting price is just to high. I could buy both new for less.

jasonc

« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2004, 03:06 pm »
I've lowered the price on audiogon this morning to 915.00.
I will sell it to AC members for 875.00.
I'm looking to sell quickly.

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?intamult

Carlman

« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2004, 03:43 pm »
Quote from: gongos
I'd think about offering something, but the starting price is just to high. I could buy both new for less.

Just playing devil's advocate here.... (and I'm assuming the owner has taken impeccable care of this Panasonic)

If you wanted a like-new XR-45, you'd have to pay in the neighborhood of $300 shipped to your door.  Then, pay to ship it to Wayne... then pay Wayne $950 for the mods...  Then you'd have to burn it in.

So, we're at roughly $1300 and how much time?  weeks at least.  It's Christmas so add time for that...

There's plenty of people who would've jumped all over this at his asking price a few months ago.  I think it's belittling to Wayne to say the mods aren't worth anything now.  It's like saying, yeah, that WAS cool but now it's all about the JVC... How fickle are we?

It's not like Wayne's mods are 'some guy' that you don't know... He's vouched for his modification right here.  I just don't understand why the modification isn't worth as much now.... It's ready to go!  So to me it ADDS value because I can get it now.  

If I were in the market, I'd offer a thousand for it and hope he'd bite.  That would seem like a really good deal to me... I get the unit for what I was going to pay in mods anyway... without having to pay for the Panny or wait for the mods.

What don't I get?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2004, 03:51 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
Just playing devil's advocate here.... (and I'm assuming the owner has taken impeccable care of this Panasonic)

If you wanted a like-new XR-45, you'd have to pay in the neighborhood of $300 shipped to your door.  Then, pay to ship it to Wayne... then pay Wayne $950 for the mods...  Then you'd have to burn it in.

So, we're at roughly $1300 and how much time?  weeks at least.  It's Christmas so add time for that...

There's plenty of people who would've jumped all over this at his asking price a few  ...

You can get an x45 for less than $300, but the real point is that used gear (especially modified used gear) sells for a lot less than what it costs initially.  

This is not a knock against Wayne (who does excellent work - great job on my Panny RP-91), but just how the maketplace works.

It is no different from buying something new and selling it a few weeks or months later.  Do you honestly expect to get most of your money back?  In some rare cases where demand exceeds supply, this can happen.  However, this isn't the norm.

George

maxwalrath

« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2004, 05:29 pm »
maybe it's just me, but I've been very happy jumping on deals for modded cd players that came up on the used market. I don't see why a player from a reputable guy like Wayne or one of the other modders who care about customer service needs to be so heavily devalued. If something goes wrong, you can almost be assured that for a reasonable cost the modder would be willing to fix it.

I've bought two, both were way cheaper than I the used, very popular, highly regarded, mass market player I had before...and both sounded WAY better. Probably 5-6 Sony DVP9000es players were bought and sold while these cheaper modded players didn't get looked at by anyone.

I just sold a modded amp and lost a good deal of money, so I've been of both sides of the fence.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2004, 06:50 pm »
I think the point is, whether or not it is modded or stock gear, once it's used it's used.  The same principle applies to everything you buy.  

Why does exist?

If you buy a car that is 1year old, do you expect to pay 95% of the new sticker price?  NO.  You would expect at least 10% off.

The bulk of depreciation in most goods occurs within the first couple years.

Again, as someone else pointed out earlier, if the demand exceeds the supply, then the price will go up.  But in this case with the modded XR45, there are now more substitutes/alternatives that folks can go for; JVC FX10, HK digital receivers, Kenwood, Sony etc...

I think Jason will be able to get more bites now that his price is more realistic but the surest way to get closest to the true market value is via an auction.  I'd say post it on the Audiogon Auction block and see what you get.  

Cheers Jason! :D

MonkeyK

« Reply #13 on: 11 Dec 2004, 09:58 pm »
Quote from: zybar
You can get an x45 for less than $300, but the real point is that used gear (especially modified used gear) sells for a lot less than what it costs initially.  

Can someone please point out to me where?  This is the receiver that I want to start my system with, but I can't find one anywhere.

Thanks,
Mike

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 12 Dec 2004, 12:38 am »
endosmok on eBay told me he has one left and can still get a few more.

$350 is what he is asking but maybe he's giving free shipping.

eico1

« Reply #15 on: 12 Dec 2004, 01:24 am »
Quote from: maxwalrath
If something goes wrong, you can almost be assured that for a reasonable cost the modder would be willing to fix it...

I'd check the policy for the specific modder. In some cases of busted digital equipment, without the right knowledge, equipment, boards or components to swap, custom parts etc, there isn't too much one can do.

The warranty might just be for the mod itself, ie. the cap or whatever.

steve

CornellAlum

« Reply #16 on: 13 Dec 2004, 03:33 pm »
Quote from: heavystarch

I think that dude is way shady personally.  Knowing he bought all of those at a PX exchange where the dea is to help the buyer becauase he is in the military, and profiting from it just seems wrong to me, especially in the Christmas season and all.  Plus 350 for that seems high when you can find them used for about 250.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 13 Dec 2004, 06:12 pm »
Quote from: CornellAlum

I think that dude is way shady personally.  Knowing he bought all of those at a PX exchange where the dea is to help the buyer becauase he is in the military, and profiting from it just seems wrong to me, especially in the Christmas season and all.  Plus 350 for that seems high when you can find them used for about 250.

Yeah I hate it when people profit from good ideas.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 13 Dec 2004, 06:23 pm »
Hey Jason,

congrats on the sale of your modded XR45! 8)

CornellAlum

« Reply #19 on: 13 Dec 2004, 08:07 pm »
Quote from: CornellAlum

Yeah I hate it when people profit from good ideas.

I believe I am correct in saying it is actually illegal!!!!!