Can You Suggest Uplifting Female Christian Folk Singers?

Music Maven

Hello,

I enjoy: a sweet female voice/ honest, wholesome Christian lyrics/ a rhythmic folk or "middle-of-the-road" tempo/ a simple, pure uncluttered sound. Possibly an Irish sound...

Some performers or groups I like: Wendy & Mary (long ago disbanded unfortunately) Point of Grace, Sierra, Marie Brennan, Alison Krauss has done a spiritual record, Jana Alayra.

Anyway, I don't really care so much for the "big gospel singing family sound" so much as a smaller, more quiet introspective "devotional" sound.
Something a bit closer to "cathedral" or Christian folk club than tent revival, if that makes sense.

I've been away from this for a while, so would certainly enjoy some of the female Christian singers/duos/groups that touch your soul.  :idea:  :wink:

Thanks!
Jerry

Eric

« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2004, 05:51 am »
Pick up an older album by John Michael Talbot and Terry Talbot called,  "The Painter". They were them main players in a group called Mason Proffit. Also check out works by Michael Card

birdwizard

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2004, 06:23 am »
I went to college with John Michael Talbot's daughter, Amy.

Man that girl could really party :)

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2004, 12:03 pm »
I haven't heard this but you might be interested in Iris Dement's latest CD. Dement has a rather odd voice/delivery, so she's not for everyone but many people just LOVE her.

Martin

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2005, 04:04 am »
Hi Jerry
 These are ones I know of off hand...if your still looking.

Jill Paquette -Jill Paquette (Carol Kingish)
 Cece Winans - Alone in His Prescence (soulfull)
 Sixpence none the Richer  (Quirky Vocals)
 Crystal Lewis - Fearless (White girl can saanng!)
 Amy Grant - Simple Things (Very Light)
 Jaci Velasquez - Jaci Velasquez (Powerfull 16 yr old voice)
 Staci Orico - Staci Orico (funk/pop/hop)

Some good recordings in there also
Martin

ghersh

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2005, 07:33 am »
Quote from: birdwizard
I went to college with John Michael Talbot's daughter, Amy.

Man that girl could really party :)

So what would Jesus do?

gongos

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2005, 09:56 am »
Le Tigre :lol:

Music Maven

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2005, 05:34 am »
Thanks, Martin, for the thoughtful list of suggestions.

The thread has been inactive for so long, I was surprised to see some new posts.

Gongos, Le Tigre? For real???

The tougher the world gets, the more I look for quality refuge in inspirational music...

Jerry

gongos

« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2005, 06:16 am »
There's a laughing face there for a reason.

Music Maven

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2005, 06:34 pm »
Gotcha!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2005, 06:59 pm »
Well, I discovered a GREAT little album by Rosie Thomas called When We Were Small.  She doesn't at all preach; in fact, a song or two could be considered a bit too strong by the Christian RIght (Wedding Day, for example).  But a Christian webzine did an interview with her after her most recent album, Only With Laughter Can You Win, and the interview was all about her strong Christianity and how it comes through in the album.  

Here's the link:
http://www.christianitytoday.com/music/glimpses/2003/onlywithlaughtercanyouwin.html

Ted

Music Maven

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2005, 02:09 am »
Thanks, Ted B... this looks promising too.

It looks like I'll have quite a shopping list once I get to the record store!

Jerry

jkelly

Sara Groves
« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2005, 02:36 am »
Sara is a former school teacher that decided to give a concert at her school one night and the rest is history.  You can listen to some of her songs on her website (the player is in the upper right).

http://www.saragroves.com/

Jeff

Music Maven

« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2005, 08:36 pm »
Thanks, jkelly, for your suggestion, too.

It's good that some other folks are interested in the inspirational or devotional music. I've really been away from it lately so now will have some new artists to try.

Some of the old ones I used to like, such as Wendy&Mary, aren't recording anymore together I think, and I'm not sure if Point of Grace or Sierra are still around.

Jerry

rotcoddam

« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2005, 02:03 am »
Try Darlene Zschech who sings lead and directs the Hillsongs. She has one of the better voices in music, not just Christian music. The Hillsongs sound varies from soft devotional worship to uplifting vibrant praise. Really varied. one of my  favorites for the last seven or eight years.

KKM

« Reply #15 on: 19 Feb 2005, 03:29 am »
Quote from: Music Maven
Thanks, jkelly, for your suggestion, too.

It's good that some other folks are interested in the inspirational or devotional music. I've really been away from it lately so now will have some new artists to try.

Some of the old ones I used to like, such as Wendy&Mary, aren't recording anymore together I think, and I'm not sure if Point of Grace or Sierra are still around.

Jerry

I've looked in vain but would love to find any CD from Wendy and Mary. The only thing I have is a cassette tape which I recorded from my roommate's LP back in '83. It's well worn.

Music Maven

« Reply #16 on: 19 Feb 2005, 05:05 am »
Thanks Rotcoddam for your suggestion. I found a website with some information about The Hillsongs from Australia.

KKM, I wish I could help you. I wish I could own a CD of Wendy and Mary myself, but I only have three of their old albums. I'm not certain if CDs were ever released. I recall the albums were on Word Music, and I don't know if they'd have the answer. I have lost all track of them. Last I knew, one of them, I think Mary Rice-Hopkins, was recording children's music.
I think Wendy is or was married to Terry Talbot, brother of the famous Christian musician John Michael Talbot. If you ever find there was a CD of Wendy and Mary please post about it here.

Jerry

kwmcmillen

Re: Can You Suggest Uplifting Female Christian Folk Singers?
« Reply #17 on: 1 Sep 2010, 05:22 pm »
Hi my name is Karen Mcmillen, I have a Cd out called "Man of Sorrows".  My music is gospel based but I believe it fits the criteria you are looking for.  You can find my Cd if interested on Cdbaby.com.
under my name Karen McMillen Man of sorrows.  You can download songs or buy the Cd.  Thank-you for your time and consideration, I hope you enjoy the music, it is very uplifting and soothing to the soul.  Sincerely Karen Mcmillen.

Mama Virtue

« Reply #18 on: 1 Sep 2010, 05:28 pm »
My husband really like Jadin Lavik (I think that's the name) It's a male singer but his songs are very uplifting and well recorded! We also really like Tenth Avenue North, Mercy Me is good too if you want more mellow music. Of course those are all male vocals.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #19 on: 1 Sep 2010, 07:39 pm »
Although I'm not sure you would call Eva Cassidy ( "Songbird" LP or CD) as a Christian female vocalist, I do believe the Lord took her up to Heaven just to hear her sing in person. Some wonderful tracks, "Wade in the Water" makes me want to get baptized again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songbird_(Eva_Cassidy_album)