Need drivers for portable speaker

Audio Mark

Need drivers for portable speaker
« on: 2 Jan 2017, 06:36 pm »
I'm building stereo portable speaker, and I'm in search of a good drivers for reasonable price, which will suit all my needs (read down below, marked by numbers).

So , can someone suggest good DaytonAudio or any other drivers for great bass in sealed box with passive radiators.

1) Driver impedance must be 8 Ohms
2) Max. speaker diameter is 4" (~10cm)
3) Great bass (low freq.) response.
4) Box will be H*W*L 12*10*35 cm ~4,2 Liters (~0.14 ft3) | ~2 Liters (~0.07 ft3) per driver |
5) Amp is bassed on TPA3110 (2x15W)
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2017, 09:57 am by Audio Mark »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Need drivers for portable speaker
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2017, 07:18 pm »
Pick any good 4" full range and carry around a portable sub woofer. 
4" and great bass don't really go together.

Audio Mark

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2017, 07:45 pm »
Pick any good 4" full range and carry around a portable sub woofer. 
4" and great bass don't really go together.

Yes I know. But it is possible get lower than 80-100 hz ?

jkelly

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2017, 08:15 pm »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2017, 11:49 pm »
If your box dimensions are outside measurements, most 4 inch drivers won't fit.

As mentioned small driver and small cabinet means lack of bass (and low efficiency).  Fostex might be your best option.  Check Madisound.com

Not cheap, but the best small driver might be the E. J. Jordan Eikona driver.  Reportedly works in sealed (4 liters, F3 = 85 Hz); ported (slightly larger, F3 = 55 Hz); and transmission line (floor standing, F3 = 27 Hz) cabinets.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2017, 01:28 am »
Have you looked into the GR Research LGKs? They're a full range driver that I believe is only 3" diameter. They have a large following in the GR Research section, and I've only read raves about them. The GR site seems to be down now but you can search the forum for them

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=16.0

May require consulting with Danny Richie of GR on those custom enclosures, although your dimensions may be close to the size of the enclosures he sells for them.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2017, 02:49 am »
Does this look like it might work?

http://meniscusaudio.com/soprano-pair-p-1369.html

A small driver, two way kit using the fine drivers from SB Acoustics.

This kit came about at the request of Jeff's brother who needed a small set of speakers.  Jeff had used SB drivers in the past with great results and found the little 4" units to be no exception.  Read the build in the pdf link below this page.  This is a 4 ohm system.

http://meniscusaudio.com/images/Introducing%20the%20Sopranos%20by%20Jeff%20Bagby.pdf

Dmason

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2017, 02:52 am »
If you will be using a TPA or other D amp, they prefer 4 ohms but are quite versatile and load-invariant. So, you should be looking at 4 ohm drivers.

I've had great results playing with Fountek EX89 3" driven by TPA3116 using the 20 watt chip. Really good on well produced music. The acceleration of these drivers, in part due to the insanely outsized Nd magnet structure, their ceramic damped Al cone, coupled with the iron grip driver control, and inherent sweetness of the TPA3116 using the 20 chip, is at times thrilling for something so small. IPad and iDSD, battery powered source and DAC makes a killer small world combo.

Madisound has the 8 ohm EX89 for $34/ea., so get 4 and wire them in series for a 4 ohm load, and pick up 3db efficiency, greater output, and mo betta...

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2017, 03:36 am »
"4) Box will be H*W*L 12*10*35 cm ~4,2 Liters (~0.14 ft3)"
"Have you looked into the GR Research LGKs?"

The box for the GR-Research Little Giant Killer is just over 7.1L, but is ported.  It might work just fine in a sealed 4.2L box, but bass will be limited. 

Audio Mark

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2017, 09:56 am »
Thank you guys for replies. But I did a mistake and didn't mentioned that box volume (0.14 ft3 or 4.2 L ) is for both drivers. They will be in one 4.2 Liters box, and only ~2 Liters per driver. So it change all the thing.

Audio Mark

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2017, 10:05 am »
Also, can you suggest any program to calculate at which frequencies driver will play in certain box (in my situation it's about 2 liters)

Audio Mark

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2017, 10:08 am »
If your box dimensions are outside measurements, most 4 inch drivers won't fit.

As mentioned small driver and small cabinet means lack of bass (and low efficiency).  Fostex might be your best option.  Check Madisound.com

Not cheap, but the best small driver might be the E. J. Jordan Eikona driver.  Reportedly works in sealed (4 liters, F3 = 85 Hz); ported (slightly larger, F3 = 55 Hz); and transmission line (floor standing, F3 = 27 Hz) cabinets.

Thank you. Also, can you suggest any program to calculate at which frequencies driver will play in certain box volume ?

JLM

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2017, 11:14 am »
Some vendors like Parts Express indicate the ideal sealed and ported volumes.  Fostex even provides recommended enclosure designs.  A search of the internet for "sealed/ported loudspeaker cabinet calculator" will provide a multitude of simple programs.

Audio Mark

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2017, 09:26 pm »
Some vendors like Parts Express indicate the ideal sealed and ported volumes.  Fostex even provides recommended enclosure designs.  A search of the internet for "sealed/ported loudspeaker cabinet calculator" will provide a multitude of simple programs.

What is more important for me: f3 or fb freq. for sealed box ?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #14 on: 3 Jan 2017, 10:08 pm »
Will this be next to a boundary (wall/floor) ?

Audio Mark

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jan 2017, 10:11 pm »
Will this be next to a boundary (wall/floor) ?

It's a portable speaker, so it will be in different situations.

JLM

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jan 2017, 11:11 pm »
What is more important for me: f3 or fb freq. for sealed box ?

F3 is the frequency where the speaker bass response is down 3 dB from the nominal response.  Bass response in sealed cabinets roll off more slowly, matching better to room gain, making it easier to place close to walls without "bass boom". 

Fb is the tuning frequency for ported cabinets.  Bass response in ported cabinets roll off faster but at lower frequencies. 

jkelly

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jan 2017, 10:24 pm »
This looks like a nice driver, but is 5".

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-5-fullrange/fostex-ff125wk-5-full-range/

Looks like it is used in the inner spirit speaker:

http://unityaudio.ca/products.html

Jeff

Audio Mark

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jan 2017, 10:41 pm »
This looks like a nice driver, but is 5".

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-5-fullrange/fostex-ff125wk-5-full-range/

Looks like it is used in the inner spirit speaker:

http://unityaudio.ca/products.html

Jeff

To expensive and it's 5"...... but thanks.

jkelly

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jan 2017, 12:27 am »
But 4.1" hole!