Bryston SP3 4K passthru

jklowan

Re: Bryston SP3 4K passthru
« Reply #40 on: 4 Mar 2018, 01:13 pm »
Hoping that isn't the case, why would I turn the TV on to listen to music. I guess the balanced outputs are there, just seems odd. So the TV has to be on for DVD-A or SACD playback? Gonna play today so we shall see

dminches

« Reply #41 on: 4 Mar 2018, 01:34 pm »
HDMI is the last "interface" I would use for digital audio.  Any of the others would sound better.

jklowan

« Reply #42 on: 4 Mar 2018, 02:03 pm »
that's why I have them, this is about the sig other, trying to simplify the act so she can watch dvd's and play cd's by selecting the dvd button. thanks

WillyP

« Reply #43 on: 4 Mar 2018, 02:49 pm »
Hoping that isn't the case, why would I turn the TV on to listen to music. I guess the balanced outputs are there, just seems odd. So the TV has to be on for DVD-A or SACD playback? Gonna play today so we shall see

My former AV processor always locked on the input signal when HDMI was used. The SP3 first locks on the output signal (to the TV) and then on the input signal (from the Blu-ray player for example). This works for me every time; when the TV is off there is no sound because the SP3 won't lock. For DVD-A and SACD, you have to use the HDMI connection or alternatively the multi-channel output. Welcome to the world of HDMI.

Willy

jklowan

« Reply #44 on: 4 Mar 2018, 03:04 pm »
so do I need to set the device so it defaults to the rca inputs for dvda or sacd playback or will it find that on it's own?

WillyP

« Reply #45 on: 4 Mar 2018, 03:09 pm »
I don't use the multi-channel output, but normally when you have chosen your settings for the first time the SP3 remembers it for the next times that you choose the input.

Willy