I2S DACs for the Raspberry Pi are getting really good

illini_skn

Re: I2S DACs for the Raspberry Pi are getting really good
« Reply #40 on: 27 Jan 2017, 10:37 pm »
Hello,
Excuse the silly question from a newbie but where are folks in the US ordering the Allo Kali and Piano from?  The only site I was able to find ships from overseas and I don't want to be hit with an unexpected tariff.  Is there a US vendor? Thanks in advance.

richidoo

« Reply #41 on: 27 Jan 2017, 11:35 pm »
illini Welcome to AC

Not a silly question, I wondered the same thing too! Or maybe we're BOTH silly??  :lol:

shadowlight

« Reply #42 on: 28 Jan 2017, 02:42 am »
illini Welcome to AC

Not a silly question, I wondered the same thing too! Or maybe we're BOTH silly??  :lol:

The Allo primary site is the one that ships out of Bengaluru/Bangalore, India and the other one is in Volumio UK website.  It was cheaper to order from India than UK site and I do not remember paying any tariff and it got to me in 4 or 5 days via FedEx.  In reality the reclocker, dac and powersupply showed up before I even got the tracking number.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it is also available via Max2Play site

megabigeye

« Reply #43 on: 28 Jan 2017, 01:59 pm »
Just a little update:
I finally got the Edimax wifi adapter for my RPi2 and switched my system over from the RPi3.  Everything worked well for one listening session.  Then the same problem as before; Volumio.local not showing up in my network. :banghead: 
I've reset my router back to single channel mode, but have yet to re-test to make sure everything is still working.  I also thought I had a USB extension cable lying around somewhere-- to try to get the dongle away from the board-- but I can't find it.  I'll update if I can get that to work.

Also, if you're planning on using an RPi (or at least one with the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro) with a Bottlehead Quickie: don't.  Unless you can get the RPi and Quickie some distance apart (haven't been able to experiment with how far that distance is) the Quickie acts like an antenna and picks up a lot of interference from the Pi, resulting in an annoying rhythmic clicking and hum.

From my experience so far, I'd have to NOT recommend the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro as a plug-'n'-play solution with WiFi.

Odal3

« Reply #44 on: 28 Jan 2017, 02:31 pm »
Megabigeye - accessing it via moode.local doesn't work with some devices. What I do is set a static IP address in the router (for example 192.168.1.228) for the rpi. I can then access it easily by typing in that IP address in the browser.

Hope you can get it sorted.

megabigeye

« Reply #45 on: 28 Jan 2017, 11:04 pm »
As far as I know, the only devices that can't use a local address are Android.  I've mostly been using a Macbook Air, and, like I said, it worked once and then stopped working a couple of hours later.  I also wasn't able to ssh in, it doesn't show up as an AirPlay device, and the IP doesn't show up in my network (well, last time it didn't, before I switched Pis.  I've not checked since, but I'm assuming).

shadowlight

« Reply #46 on: 29 Jan 2017, 12:49 am »
Do you have the ability to hook up monitor and keyboard?  If see, if you can check network configuration by typing "ifconfig" command or even restart networking

megabigeye

« Reply #47 on: 29 Jan 2017, 03:06 am »
Huh.  I thought Volumio didn't work at all with a monitor, but I'll give that a try.  I'm a Linux command line neophyte, so we'll see how far I get.  There's also the possibility that I've corrupted the microSD card by unplugging it so many times without properly shutting it down (though, looking at the lights on the Pi and DAC, it looks like it's booting correctly).  As of now, with my router using specific channels I'm still unable to connect to the Pi over WiFi.  I guess I should check it again with it connected to Ethernet.  This is getting kind of tiresome.

Also, for those interested: the clicking I hear in my Quickie is quieter-- though still barely audible over my music-- with the RPi moved toward the edge of the desk, maybe 18" away.  But with it moved about two inches further it becomes barely audible even without music.  Weird.  It doesn't get quieter gradually, but incrementally: from 0"~8" it's one loud level; from 9"-20" it's one step softer; from 20"+ it's one barely audible level.
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2017, 06:30 pm by megabigeye »

megabigeye

« Reply #48 on: 29 Jan 2017, 08:37 pm »
More updates.  With luck, you guys will be as bored/frustrated with this whole process as I am!

• I'm able to ssh in over Ethernet, with the DAC board attached.  Volumio is available as an Airplay device.  That means Volumio OS is (mostly) working.
  • I'm able to ssh in over WiFi without DAC board attached.  Volumio is available as an Airplay device.  That means WiFi dongle is working.
  • I'm unable to ssh in over WiFi with the DAC board attached.  Volumio is not available as an Airplay device.  That means DAC board is interfering with WiFi, even though I'm still using specific channels.
  • New problem: web UI is not working at all, even when I'm able to ssh in.  This means to me that something is wrong in the OS.

I may just re-flash the OS and see if that doesn't at least fix the web UI problem and by chance fix the WiFi problem, too.  I'm wondering if the whole thing was cause by my switching between Pi3 and Pi2 without trying to reconfigure anything.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #49 on: 29 Jan 2017, 10:20 pm »
For me Moode Audio worked better than Rune or Volumio with the on-board WIFI and a HiFiberry DAC.

shadowlight

« Reply #50 on: 29 Jan 2017, 11:38 pm »
@megabigeye,

I know this does not help but I have a Allo Piano 2.0 DAC with Kali Re-clocker and I am not having any issues with onboard wireless and DAC with Volumio.

I was also able to get console output via HDMI and able to type in commands once I hooked up a usb keyboard.  The default username is "root" and password is "volumio". 

You are very patient to continue trying to get it working.  Personally, I would have sold and replaced the DAC by now or see if Hifiberry will take it back, since the issues is clearly with the DAC interfering with the wireless and they have acknowledge that the bug does exist.

megabigeye

« Reply #51 on: 30 Jan 2017, 03:46 am »
Shadowlight,
Thanks.  Patient, or more likely stubborn.  :wink:  I'm trying to (slowly) teach myself Linux command line and get a bit into DIY audio, which requires an adjustment from my usual "work now, damn you!" attitude toward electronics.

I've thought about returning the HiFiBerry, but it was a gift purchased more than a month ago now.  I think HiFiBerry only takes them back if it was purchased directly from them; I'm pretty certain this one wasn't.  Anyway, it's a great sounding board that I will conquer one day! :cuss:
You're probably right, though. I probably should just buy a different DAC.

Also, what version of Volumio are you using?  I don't think Volumio2 has root access.

shadowlight

« Reply #52 on: 30 Jan 2017, 03:49 am »
Shadowlight,
Thanks.  Patient, or more likely stubborn.  ;)  I'm trying to (slowly) teach myself Linux command line and get a bit into DIY audio, which requires an adjustment from my usual "work now, damn you!" attitude toward electronics.

I've thought about returning the HiFiBerry, but it was a gift purchased more than a month ago now.  I think HiFiBerry only takes them back if it was purchased directly from them; I'm pretty certain this one wasn't.  Anyway, it's a great sounding board that I will conquer one day! :cuss:
You're probably right, though. I probably should just buy a different DAC.

Also, what version of Volumio are you using?  I don't think Volumio2 has root access.

Downloaded the latest version of Volumio today.  I am assuming using the wired connection is not an option?

Have you tried other OS?  Just to rule out that Volumio is not having stability issues with wireless.  I also, tried the latest version of PiCorePlayer with wireless and no issues.

megabigeye

« Reply #53 on: 30 Jan 2017, 05:08 am »
Huh.  Interesting that the newest download supports root access again.  Like I said, I may re-flash to see if that works.

I've not tried any other OSes, but it's on my list.  I'm not married to Volumio, but it has the most user friendly website, which is a plus in my book.  If I'm not mistaken, Rune and moOde are both built on Volumio and both have similar looking webGUIs.  What are the differences, do you know?  And how does piCorePlayer work?  You have to have LMS running somewhere?  Is it / can it be controlled from a browser?  Specific app?
Anyway, it's late and I've had a bit to drink, or I might try to answer these questions myself. :where'sthatdrinkingbymyselfemoji:

And, no, a wired connection isn't really an option.

megabigeye

« Reply #54 on: 30 Jan 2017, 04:12 pm »
So, I bit the bullet and ordered the Allo Kali/Piano combo directly from Allo.com this morning.  Hopefully that goes more smoothly!

And for those interested, if you order directly from Allo the bundled set is currently on sale for $86.  There's also a 5% off coupon that I found (sorry, can't remember what it was, but it was easy enough to find using Google).  Not a bad deal!

Odal3

« Reply #55 on: 30 Jan 2017, 04:45 pm »
This 8 channel in and out HAT board looks interesting for multichannel active crossover duties. I have been looking for something like this for a long time.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1250664710/audio-injector-octo-surround-sound-for-the-raspber/description

Looks like the developer is based in Sydney. Have anyone heard anything about it or his previous DACs?

Yatsushiro

« Reply #56 on: 31 Jan 2017, 08:31 am »
So, I bit the bullet and ordered the Allo Kali/Piano combo directly from Allo.com this morning.  Hopefully that goes more smoothly!

Piano, or Piano 2.1?

I have the Kali/Piano 2.1 setup, works very well, if you like the sound of Ti PCM512* chipsets. Have set mine up in Volumio, driving 2 Q Acoustic 3020 bookshelfs, and a self built sub.

megabigeye

« Reply #57 on: 31 Jan 2017, 02:08 pm »
Piano 2.0.

I'm still uncertain as to whether or not it's going to work with my Bottlehead setup, though.  I had the Pi without the DAC+ Pro hooked up to the Quickie last night and the rhythmic clicking was gone, but I still get a buzzing hum and a static sound when I stream from AirPlay.  Harrumph!
I'm wondering if there's some way I can shield the Quickie from RF?  I'm thinking of wrapping the whole thing it aluminum foil and then making myself a hat to match.

megabigeye

« Reply #58 on: 4 Feb 2017, 02:03 am »
This is not my week/day/something!

Got my Kali Piano combo by FedEx this morning and thought I'd give it a try before work.  That'd be a good way to start the day.  But wait.  What's this?  It's not working?!  What, the Pi is booting up but the DAC combo isn't powering on?  Oh, right.  The Kali can't run off the Pi's power.  Well, no worries, I thought, I've got a billion zillion pwer adapters lying around, one of 'em's gotta work.  I'll figure it out after work...  Except not.  Not only do I knot have a single barrel-style power adapter under 12V, but the Kali seems to have an odd sized pin that fits only ONE of my many power adapters (unfortunately that adapter is 24V at 5A). :banghead: :duh: :banghead: :duh: :banghead:

chip

« Reply #59 on: 23 Feb 2017, 09:35 pm »
Another dac - https://volumio.org/allo-boss-dac-available-volumio/

Way too many choices ......