19 (46.3%)
BDP-pi
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Quick survey for Bryston BDP owners

zoom25

Quick survey for Bryston BDP owners
« on: 12 Sep 2016, 10:41 pm »
How many BDP-1, BDP-1 USB, and/or BDP-2 do you guys own of each (if applicable)?

Do you guys use the BDP streamers in your side rigs or main rigs? What other digital players do you guys own or plan to get in the near future?

I was thinking to myself that if I got a streamer for another rig, I'd very likely go for another used BDP-1 over say a BDP-2. The BDP-1 can be had for less than half of BDP-2's MSRP. My library is easily handled by BDP-1, and I don't care much about the extra speed of BDP-1. Although, I am curious about SQ differences between the BDP-1 and BDP-2 release, along with the updated card that BDP-2 got awhile back.

Thoughts?

Krutsch

Re: Quick survey for Bryston BDP owners
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2016, 11:33 pm »

Do you guys use the BDP streamers in your side rigs or main rigs? What other digital players do you guys own or plan to get in the near future?

I was thinking to myself that if I got a streamer for another rig, I'd very likely go for another used BDP-1 over say a BDP-2. The BDP-1 can be had for less than half of BDP-2's MSRP. My library is easily handled by BDP-1, and I don't care much about the extra speed of BDP-1. Although, I am curious about SQ differences between the BDP-1 and BDP-2 release, along with the updated card that BDP-2 got awhile back.

Thoughts?

I use my BDP-1 in my Head-Fi rig, which I consider my main rig. My living room is served by a Sonos Connect box and a Cubox-I4 running Roon Bridge. I've considered replacing the Cubox with a BDP-Pi, but haven't made up my mind on that purchase.

As for buying another BDP-1, good luck finding one. They are even hard to find on eBay, let alone at retailers or on-line. I looked a while back.

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2016, 11:37 pm »
High I'm using a bdp-1 for playing wav files.

I also purchased an Intel I7 custom made computer $2200 CDN, bypassing the soundcard to my Bda-1. Which IMO is comparable in SQ to the Bdp-1 except I think it would be considered bright sounding by most audiophiles, using VLC media player. Certainly not the warm pleasant sound of the Bdp-1.

Planning on getting the BCD-3. Also have a cheap Sony Blu-ray, Sony NS9100ES and  a Tascam CD-RW901SL Professional Recorder. :smoke:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2016, 11:38 pm »
The BDP-Pi is my favourite

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2016, 12:06 am »
BDP-1 all the way, man.  On main rig, feeding BDA-1.
No glitches whatsoever -- Looney Loon only.
Life sentences for both  :lol:

[btw...honestly, it's the DAC that "sounds great" -- BDP-1 has no analog output]

zoom25

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2016, 12:11 am »
I use my BDP-1 in my Head-Fi rig, which I consider my main rig. My living room is served by a Sonos Connect box and a Cubox-I4 running Roon Bridge. I've considered replacing the Cubox with a BDP-Pi, but haven't made up my mind on that purchase.

As for buying another BDP-1, good luck finding one. They are even hard to find on eBay, let alone at retailers or on-line. I looked a while back.

I live in the GTA, so I see Bryston all the time here. Lucky me  :D

Another thing that the Bryston has going for itself is that it looks beautiful and stacks perfectly with other Bryston gear or 17"/19." I will say, the other streamers that have appealed me is the Cambridge Audio CXN and 851N. I used to be into the Aries before, but don't think will go with it at those prices. Will prefer Bryston for sure.

zoom25

« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2016, 12:20 am »
BDP-1 all the way, man.  On main rig, feeding BDA-1.
No glitches whatsoever -- Looney Loon only.
Life sentences for both  :lol:

[btw...honestly, it's the DAC that "sounds great" -- BDP-1 has no analog output]

I know the BDP-1 doesn't have an analog output, but it's the most analog sounding out of all my transports and streamers/ :wink:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2016, 01:29 am »

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649298520-bryston-bdp1-silver-17-green-led/

Pundamilia

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2016, 03:07 am »
How many BDP-1, BDP-1 USB, and/or BDP-2 do you guys own of each (if applicable)?

I have a BDP-2 in my main (all-Bryston except for speakers) system for which I recently traded in my BDP-1 (for the faster processor, more memory and newer sound cards). I can't comment on improvements to SQ as I made several other changes to the system at the same time. I have my music library on an HSG 2.5 external USB connected to the BDP. I also have the library duplicated/backedup on a MacMini server, but I can't really play music directly from it without dropouts (could be my network performance).

I am considering a non-Bryston solution for my office, but haven't decided on anything specific yet. I have a Win 7 desktop with a Julia board in it in the office and may base the secondary system on that - or maybe not!

vonnie123

« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2016, 06:54 am »
BDP-1 and Sonore microRendu.  Both in the main rig.

Sonos Connect ZP90 for in main rig & bedroom.

Roon/HQPlayer software, JRIver, and Sonos software.

Looks like Audio Advisor has a demo BDP-1 USB (19")

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1BYBDP1USB

Rod_S

« Reply #10 on: 13 Sep 2016, 12:15 pm »
I have the BDP-2 and it's now my main audio player. It replaced my Sony 300 disc changer after I ripped all of my CD's to FLAC files to a NAS and now whenever I can I purchase the high-res digital copy of any album I want.

I still have my Denon DVD-A1UD for multi-channel BD's, DVD-A's and SACD's. The BDP-2 recognizes a multi-channel digital file however my SSP can not recognize such a stream and only silence comes out. It would be cool to find out the BDP-2 can pass on the multi-channel signal.

OTM

« Reply #11 on: 13 Sep 2016, 01:09 pm »
I have 1 BDP-2, and do not use any streaming ie Roon etc services.
All CDs have been transferred to the player. In the future I  would like to attach a Bluetooth transmitter to my system to feed  background music to a porch and deck.

MoPac

« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2016, 02:32 pm »
 I have the BDP-2.  Play local files only.  Love the sound and all is well with operation now that I have figured out what works best for control: MPAD tp play & the Moose for playlist management and other maintenance functions.  Wish there was a better Droid control point app; Sounirok scrambles the local album art a bit.

Also have a Sqjueezebox Touch in  the headphone system.  Wish everything worked as well as the Touch+iPeng or Touch+Orange for Droid,   ( Shame no Logitech for dumping Squeezebox ).  The BDP-2 is very close in operational ease, but obviously trumps the Touch in sound quality.

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
« Reply #13 on: 14 Sep 2016, 03:33 pm »
BDP-1 into an SP-3 (ie. using internal DACs) for main system, with music library on a FAT formatted 2Tb drive connected to the BDP via USB.

Squeezeboxes in all of the other rooms accessing a copy of the same music library, but stored on a NAS instead.

I liked the idea of Roon, but my NAS was too old to run it and I don't want to leave my PC on all the time (it has an 850W PSU!)

Ian

zoom25

« Reply #14 on: 14 Sep 2016, 07:33 pm »
Side question: How do you guys find the performance of BDP-1/2 going through AES into BDA-1 vs. BDA-2? I know the USB is much better on the BDA-2, but how does the AES compare? BDA-3 also welcome.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 15 Sep 2016, 12:26 am »
Side question: How do you guys find the performance of BDP-1/2 going through AES into BDA-1 vs. BDA-2? I know the USB is much better on the BDA-2, but how does the AES compare? BDA-3 also welcome.

AES does very well with my BDP-1/BDA-1. With some tracks (Flac and MP3), BNC seemed to be a touch faster. Could be just my imagination.
Cardas Clear AES (bought from CAM at a big discount  :thumb:), Cardas High Speed Data BNC.

using only G-Tech drives attached at rear ports of BDP-1 via powered USB hub. All Furutech F-2 USB-A-miniB cables.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/prod_pdf/ftech_formula2.pdf

tie_breaker

« Reply #16 on: 15 Sep 2016, 02:48 am »

I have a bdp-2 and a bda-3.  Both aes and spidf are connected.  I can switch between the two on my bda-3 while listening. For me the aes is definitely superior.  The aes sound is larger, more airy, and spidf is flatter.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #17 on: 15 Sep 2016, 10:44 pm »
Did/do you have the USB hooked up too? I'd love to know how AES/EBU compares to USB.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #18 on: 15 Sep 2016, 11:16 pm »
I'm curious as well I'm looking at the Pi but if the AES is superior then the 2 will come into play

tie_breaker

« Reply #19 on: 18 Sep 2016, 12:01 am »
I'm curious as well I'm looking at the Pi but if the AES is superior then the 2 will come into play

I just compared usb to aes/ebu.  I am using a kimber orchid aes/ebu cable and an audioquest coffee usb cable.  For some reason when usb is connected, bdp2 does not output via aes but only usb.  So I had to reboot the bdp2 when switching between.  Nevertheless aes definitely sounds better, crisper and cleaner sound.  With usb bass is a bit muddier, highs not as crisp.