December Get Together?

Mike D

December Get Together?
« Reply #20 on: 16 Nov 2004, 05:39 pm »
Sounds GrrrrRRRRRREAT!

Realistically, I'll be there around 11:00 or noon.  :-)

DeadFish

December Get Together?
« Reply #21 on: 16 Nov 2004, 05:45 pm »
Sounds good to me Scott, if you feel like having folks there that long.
You might get worried about having your wife shopping that long though...hehehehe :wink:
Looking forward to it.
What can I bring, foodwise?

DF

Scott F.

December Get Together?
« Reply #22 on: 17 Nov 2004, 03:23 am »
Quote from: DeadFish
Sounds good to me Scott, if you feel like having folks there that long.
You might get worried about having your wife shopping that long though...hehehehe :wink:
Looking forward to it.
What can I bring, foodwise?

Don't mind at all, in fact, I'm looking forward to it.

Know what you mean about the wife shopping that long. Thats a scary thought.

Don't think you'll need to bring any food, should have that covered. If you guys don't mind we'll do the usual, brats, salzista.... sazzista..... sassitza.... Italian sausage, maybe some burgers and the usual munchies. You may want to bring your favorite beer though. I'll have plenty of the hard stuff and setups.

Should have the Daedelus by then, Klaus sent the rest of the $1500 system (Thanks Klaus!) and sounds like Bill is sending something pretty cool too. Add those to the stuff everybody else brings and we should loads to play with.

Can't wait :mrgreen:

I guess we should do a head count so I can make sure I have plenty of food and liquor. So far it's (in alphabetical order):

Adrian
Alan
Alex
Blackmore
Bmed
DeadFish
Drummerwill
G
Mike D.
Pjchappy (maybe?)
Sturgus
Thom P. (early?)

pjchappy

December Get Together?
« Reply #23 on: 17 Nov 2004, 04:47 am »
Well, I should be able to make it around 1ish or so. . .depends on my hangover. . . :P

p

drummerwill

December Get Together?
« Reply #24 on: 17 Nov 2004, 05:11 am »
Scott can I bring the Lococmotive ? I think the new Silver secondary trannies may be broke in now !

Willie

Scott F.

December Get Together?
« Reply #25 on: 17 Nov 2004, 01:02 pm »
Quote from: drummerwill
Scott can I bring the Lococmotive ? I think the new Silver secondary trannies may be broke in now !

Willie

Absolutely!

I added you guys to the list.

bmed

December Get Together?
« Reply #26 on: 20 Nov 2004, 02:52 pm »
Hey Scott,  Count me in for now.  I may have to do some Christmas with family or shopping that weekend since I'm working over the holiday, just not absolutely sure.  Maybe I can drop my wife off in Clayton for shopping and head out for a couple of hours if nothing else.

Cheers,
Brad

Scott F.

December Get Together?
« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2004, 04:52 pm »
Hiya Brad!

Added you to the list :mrgreen:

This should be pretty cool. I've got some cool review gear in. I'll have about 5 systems set up total (including the HT thing).

I plan on setting up my vintage mono setup in a dedicated room. It will be a Stromberg Carlson integrated mono amp (complete with a phono stage, 6L6 PP), a Scott 300 mono tuner, my Dual 1229 setup for mono 78's (and a big arse pile of blues and jazz 78's), a Denon CD player rigged for mono and an Altec Iconic 2 way floorstander.

Hey! Anybody got any cool NOS 6L6's? I've got a few to choose from but if somebody had some big name ones and could bring them that would be great.

Mike D

December Get Together?
« Reply #28 on: 20 Nov 2004, 04:57 pm »
Scott

I'll be there mid to late afternoon.  :-(  I've got a wedding to go to on Friday night.  

What does it mean if someone gets married on a Friday night instead of a Saturday afternoon?  Sounds like change.  To quote Garth from Wayne's World, "We fear change."

Scott F.

December Get Together?
« Reply #29 on: 30 Nov 2004, 02:22 am »
Hiya Guys,

Just updated the list with Bosterkisco (Bob) and Thom P. Looks like Thom may be able to make it early afternoon. He said he was going to try to bring his latest creation (2a3 plus a signature pre) for us to play with.

Also, just got in the Bulter Audio BK2250 amp. This is the one that Bill mentioned in an earlier post. If you want to read a little about it heres the link.

http://www.butleraudio.com/main.html

I may just have to do another dedicated system based around this amp and the Daedelus speakers for the get-together  :mrgreen:

Geeeez, this place could end up looking like an Audio Salon  :o

steve k

December Get Together?
« Reply #30 on: 30 Nov 2004, 02:34 am »
Wish I could make this one, Scott. I'd love to hear one of Thom P's creations. The kids have string concerts all day and we have our company Christmas party that night  :o so we're booked solid. I've been talking to a local guy lately who's into Maggies (he has IIIA's  :D ) and has been into tubes in the past--particularly old Marantz amps. He's anxious to meet some DIYer's so he's come to the right place. His name is Alex and I'll get him directions to your place later. I'm trying to hookup with him some weekend soon to hear some tunes. Take plenty of pics.
steve k.

Scott F.

December Get Together?
« Reply #31 on: 30 Nov 2004, 03:18 am »
Quote from: steve k
Wish I could make this one, Scott. I'd love to hear one of Thom P's creations. The kids have string concerts all day and we have our company Christmas party that night  :o so we're booked solid. I've been talking to a local guy lately who's into Maggies (he has IIIA's  :D ) and has been into tubes in the past--particularly old Marantz amps. He's anxious to meet some DIYer's so he's come to the right place. His name is Alex and I'll get him directions to your place later. I'm trying to hookup with him some weekend soon to hear some tunes. Take plenty of pics.
steve k.

Bummer you can't make it :(  Maybe you can make it out sometime before the review gear leaves (shortly after the New Year).

Absolutely, Alex has found the right group. If he can make it out on the 11th be sure to give him directions or have him contact me and I can send them to him. Wouldn't hurt to have him log in here and check the site once a week or so that way he can keep up to date with the goings on.

pjchappy

December Get Together?
« Reply #32 on: 30 Nov 2004, 07:17 pm »
My firm X-mas party just got moved from Dec. 4 to Dec. 11. . .not sure if I can make it now, though it is still possible.

p

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
December Get Together?
« Reply #33 on: 30 Nov 2004, 08:37 pm »
HI Guys,
  Glad to hear the Butler arrived in time for your get together. I was going to see if you wanted to pair one of my Reference Jolida 801's with the Daedalus but it looks like you are all set. This is the 801 that will be driving these speakers in our new showroom and it would have liked some circle member opions but time is getting short and you now have an exceptional amp that mates very nicely with these speakers.
 I can't wait to read the responses from this session! Have fun and be careful not to crack Scott's foundation!

mikelafs

• Tim Simpson was my first audio Guru.
im the fng
« Reply #34 on: 6 Dec 2004, 04:45 pm »
gentlemen,
                is it possible i will learn something from you guys?

when the next meeting is set! let me know  i would like to attend
                                                         thanking you all in advance
                                                                                    mike

DeadFish

December Get Together?
« Reply #35 on: 6 Dec 2004, 10:51 pm »
Hey Mike!
You must be in luck as this coming saturday (if you read the rest of this thread) is time for another meet and a lot to listen to.
Learning, there is much of, whether you want to or not.
(as I had  to quit worrying over solid state and to learn to love the Tube!) :wink:
We are a severely varied bunch with equally varied tastes.
Just for the exposure to all the varieties of equiptment we all have, which is way more brands than are stocked in all of the hifi stores in St. Louis, can be a major, if confusing, education.  Equally the broad expanse in musical tastes!
Whatever way your pleasures tend, you'll either find someone with your taste in music or gear, OR perhaps have something to learn for us!
Welcome aboard!

Regards,
DeadFish

steve k

December Get Together?
« Reply #36 on: 6 Dec 2004, 11:20 pm »
Welcome to the asylum, Mike! :o

It's always good to meet another audio addict. Deadfish is right, if you can make Saturday's get together, Scott has one major event planned. Wish I could make it and meet you but I did get treated to a preview last weekend and you guys are in for some really nice sounding gear!

It's a great group of people and you'll never get to hear the variety of equipment in any St. Louis stereo stores as you will with this bunch.

Welcome aboard.

steve k

Scott F.

December Get Together?
« Reply #37 on: 7 Dec 2004, 02:34 am »
Hiya Mike,

Welcome aboard!

If you can make it Saturday, I think you'll have a good time. If nothing else, our gatherings are a great place to find out about new music. We've always got pads of paper and pens laying around so we can all take note of the great groups that someone has just found.

As for learning.......well we all are still learning everyday we play with more gear. Even with all the cool gear that passes through my doors, there's no way I could ever absorb all there is to know about audio. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around tube design. One of these days it'll all come into focus in all it's Technicolor glory. Right now it's sort of like that snow on a distant UHF station. It kinda drifts in and out.

Thats one great thing about the group of guys here, we've got a pretty vast expanse of knowledge base to pull from. Combined, I'd bet the 'regulars' (of which there are about 10-12) I'd bet we've got close to 200 collective years listening, tweaking and designing high end audio gear.

I copied you on the message for this weekend. You've got mail!

Scott F.

December Get Together?
« Reply #38 on: 7 Dec 2004, 05:06 am »
Just updated the list.

Looks like Adrian is going to make it for the first time!
Also had to scratch Bob (bosterkisco).
Brent (bgrazman) will be out of town until after the first of the year too.

alexstl

December Get Together?
« Reply #39 on: 9 Dec 2004, 04:38 am »
Hello,  My name is Alex Bornstein.  I learned about GAS through SteveK in a magnepan chat room.  I also have IIIa speakers bought new 15 years ago.  I just renovated them this summer.

I am hoping to come to the get together this weekend and will post or call Scott on Friday.  I am not a tweaker but have had this addiction/illness for for over three decades.  My first purchase was a McCintosh reciever, 1700, which cost one month of salary at the time, when I had no savings.  I didn't eat well that month and my friends paid the rent, but  I still have it 34 years later and it works perfectly.  

I have a Linn Sondek LP12 I might be interested in selling.  Generic arm that came with it and an older Grado cartridge.  Tuned up a couple years ago by Zaw.  I am very interested in hearing the SET low power amps with single speakers.  I am interested in learning more about and buying active crossovers for my MG IIIas and possibly a tube amp for my mid range/tweeters.  I will power the bass with an old PS Audio 200C I bought with the Maggies.  I look forward to meeting you all.