Recommendations for acoustic spanish guitar/flamenco....

Christof

The Picture:

Deep in Mexico, you walk into a small, dark, dank bar, heavy with smells of burnt Chili's, Mescal & Modelo in the air.  You take your hat off and sit at the bar, squinting to read the labels on the dusty bottles behind the dark counter waiting for the Mestero to take your order. Then from behind, you start to hear the faint sounds of what must be a guitar....you recoginze the sound of nylon strings which seem to cry and laugh at the same time.  You look over your shoulder and see a musician sitting off to the side, dressed in black, like Cash after a long night on the town.  He begins to play louder, every note thought out.  The musician speaks through his instrument, getting down in a fashion that makes time stop and dreams begin...the Tequilla flows.  

The Credits:

Who is this musician ??????????

Something like the Spanish version of BB King breakin' down on Lucile or Dylans recording of Pat Garret & Billy the Kid.  So far everything I find sounds so over produced and fake.

Anything come to mind?

Thx...christof

PhilNYC

« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2004, 04:49 am »
Paco De Lucia?

Campindog

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2004, 05:25 am »
Early Armik recordings

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2004, 05:28 am »
Esteban..... :?

BillyM

« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2004, 07:26 am »
Quote from: PhilNYC
Paco De Lucia?

Have been listening to their music all week.  

"Casa Bernardo" is so dynamic, it makes my audio-loving hairs on the back of ny neck stand an applaud, as well as "Que Venga el Alba" though maybe not as "dark musty bar" as you would like.

For that dark bar sound, I suggest "El Tesorillo" by the same artist

...these are all off of one CD, though I cant remember the name of it for the life of me (I store all my music lossless by artist/songtitle only, then digital out of computer)

--BillyM

Christof

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2004, 01:37 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions...

I have a recording called Friday Nights in San Francisco with Paco de Lucia.  I love it but it's on vinyl and my table situation is grim.  I'll look into the other recordings as with Armik.  Thanks again.

Anyone else have any ideas?

thx...christof

drewfidelity

« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2004, 01:54 pm »
Laurindo Almieda-That may not be the correct spelling
Charlie Byrd

8thnerve

« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2004, 02:35 pm »
Ottmar Liebert

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2004, 03:28 pm »
I can recommend two cd's....both excellent !!! :)
    [/list:u]
      AND[/list:u]
        [/list:u]
          Give them a listen...... :guitar: [/list:u]

Mike-48

« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2005, 05:04 am »
        If you are looking for real solo Spanish guitar with a strong flamenco influence, look for anything recorded by Manitas de Plata. For example,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000023FQ/102-3437450-2952917?v=glance

This is not produced music, so if you are looking for something more -- well -- commercial, look elsewhere.  I'm not sure, exactly, from your inquiry.

By the way, I heard him perform at Carnegie Hall about 20 years ago (not sure if it was this performance), and it was great.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
          • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
        « Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2005, 05:39 am »
        Quote from: Mike in NC
        If you are looking for real solo Spanish guitar with a strong flamenco influence, look for anything recorded by Manitas de Plata. For example,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000023FQ/102-3437450-2952917?v=glance

This is not produced music, so if you are looking for something more -- well -- commercial, look elsewhere.  I'm not sure, exactly, from your inquiry.

By the way, I heard him perform at Carnegie Hall about 20 years ago (not sure if it was this performance), and it was great.

I listened to all the track samples on amazon and manitas de plata is great CD.  Nice suggestion! :D  8)

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
        « Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2005, 11:00 am »
        Mike,
        If you are who I think you are, hello again!  Do you still have/like the Revel's?  I went thru some experimentation, but still have the/your 3.3's.  

Christof,
        I have a friend here from Spain ... I'll ask her for some out of the way recommendations.

Figo

« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2005, 11:54 am »
        http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/worldmusic/worldmusic.html

Look here!

I come from Cadiz, Spain and this guy knows what he is talking about when it comes to flamenco!

Also, Paco De Lucia - Entre dos aguas

the title song might just be the most famous/amazing spanish guitar song ever.  First recommendation goes to Paco

Mike-48

« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2005, 01:53 pm »
        Inscrutable,

Yes, I am that Mike. I am enjoying the Revels. I put quite a few acoustics treatments into the room, and that made a huge difference as well.  Glad you are enjoying the 3.3s!  As I remember, you were going to get them up to your 2nd or 3rd floor. How did THAT go?

jackman

« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2005, 02:08 pm »
        I used to be a big fan of Spanish and Gypsy guitar.  Some good suggestions have already been made.  

I caught Al Dimiola, Paco DeLucia and John McLaughlin when they toured together years ago.  Some scorching guitar on that stage, all acoustic and long before MTV's Unplugged!  The opening guitarist was Steve Morse from the Dixie Dregs.  Took a lot of balls to open for those guys but Stever really delivered.  I've seen several but here are some of my favorites, check for spelling errors:

Paco DeLucia - probably most famous flaminico style guitarist

Gypsy Kings - they have lots of guitarists and are all good.  These guys are amazing, I love this music.

Carlos Montoya - I caught him live at my school when I was in college at U of I, Chicago.  He was old then so he's probably dead but that guitar came alive in the hands of the old master.  I also was lucky enough to see Andres Segovia play live prior to his death.  He was very old but played so beautifully.

Okay, it's not flaminco or Spanish but you should check out Christopher Parkening if you like classical guitar.  Saw him live at Orchestra Hall in Chicago and the hair on my arm was standing up when he played Bach, solo on a classical guitar.  Sounded like 3 very good guitarists were on stage but all this sound was coming from his single guitar.  All the while, he was just sitting there with a smile on his face as if it was TOO easy.  On one record, on a particularly challenging section, you can hear him humming in the background as he tears through some impossible classical guitar.  By far, the most talented guitarist or musician I have ever seen.  Like Segovia, the only composer he would not attempt is Mozart.  I prefer this stuff live versus recorded.  

Lastly, and don't laugh, Steve Stevens, the guitarist who has played on every Billy Idol record recorded a Flaminco album.  Here is a link:  
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004NHAB/qid=1107439551/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/103-5256849-2797443?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

I met him at the Chicago House of Blues, where I had a Foundation membership last year, when we caught Billy Idol.  He picked up Flaminco music and did a 10 minute solo between Billy's songs.  This guy is such an underrated rock guitarist and a very good live flaminco guitarist.  He's about 5 feet tall but looks big on stage!  His best flaminco guitar is on the Black Light Syndrome, a rock album.  If you see this one used, pick it up.  Or check out Amazon to see if you like it.  Steve is a really nice guy who chatted with us before the Idol show and lit up the stage for about 2 hours.  Also, Billy Idol is still a great live act.  He is about 50 years old but can still rock and still appears to like the ladies (chatting up some young honies near the stage all night).

Christof

« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2005, 02:41 pm »
        Thanks for all the great artist info!

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
        « Reply #16 on: 4 Feb 2005, 12:28 am »
        Wow! jackman really covers the genre! A little off topic but I can recommend Sergio & Odair Assad play Rameau, Scarlatti, Couperin, and Bach. Superb  transcriptions of Baroque classics on 2 classical guitars, great recording as well. Another guitarist, although in a compleatly off topic style would be Ozzie Kotani, a player of Hawaiian slack key style guitar. His inntonation is classical in style and always takes me back to the islands when I hear it, on Dancing Cat records.

jackman

« Reply #17 on: 4 Feb 2005, 12:47 am »
        Hey Konut,

Sorry to hijack this thread but cool suggestions brudda.  I am a big fan of slack key guitar and the Hawaiin sound.  I'm also a fan of ukulele music and, after my sytem is done, I'm going to get me a uke.  There is a company called "Fluke" that makes nice ukuleles.  A shop near my house has great selection.  Plus, when our baby comes in July, I'll need something quiet to play with.  Love listening to Iz singing and playing the ukulele.  It's a sweet sound when played right and really highlights the vocals.  That music just makes you feel good!  

My guitar teacher (yes I took lessons but it was just so I had someone to play with every week) had some bad things to say about Parkening but I love the way he plays classical.  Segovia said he was the first player to ever capture some famous Bach piece before his 35th birthday.  It was common belief among classical guitarists (including Segovia who invented the art) that you couldn't truly convey emotion until your mid to late 30's.  When he heard Parkening play, he was supposedly astounded.  His playing is effortless.  He also won the world fly fishing championship.  Probably one of those guys who is good at whatever he chooses to do.  

In the end, I'm not a Rock, Jazz or Classical fan.  I'm just a music fan.  I even love world music, like Orchestra Baobab's "Pirate's Choice".  Check out this clip on Amazon.  It was out of print for a while but has been re-released.  Am I nuts or is this music that will stir your soul?  

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005UPF7/qid=1107477927/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8__i1_xgl15/103-5256849-2797443?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

It's not Spanish guitar but I love it!  I listen to this music and it breaks my heart to think about the mess in Western Africa.  The people have a lightness of spirit and the music of this band is so sweet.  They draw from so many influences and their rythm is as good as you would expect from a Western African band.  Listen to the clips on Amazon.  Is there anything better than this music?  Not for me.  Senegal!  

Sorry for ruining yet another thread!

Jman

panderso

« Reply #18 on: 4 Feb 2005, 12:49 am »
        For the kind of little Mexican taverna feel, yeah, Paco de Lucia's 'Entre Dos Aguas (Philips) for sure.  And Strunz & Farahs 'Primal Magic' (Mesa) as well.

Perhaps a bit too clean a studio for the ambience you seek; but David Russel's recent release 'Aire Latino' (Telarc) is pretty fine, nonetheless.

hifitommy

a little more
        « Reply #19 on: 13 Feb 2005, 07:43 pm »
        carlos montoya's 'flamenco direct', two separate LPs that were  cut direct to disc are spectacular recordings of flamenco and gutiar in general.  there are places on the record where it sounds like he is going to rip the front of the guitar off.  

they are rare and very likely pricey if you find them.  

'friday night in san francisco' by di meola/mc laughlin/de lucia (interesting that all their names have spaces in them) is available on cd and sacd at:

http://entertainment.circuitcity.com/Music/SearchResults.aspx?SEARCH=FRIDAY+NIGHT+IN+SAN+FRANCISCO&sec=All%20Music&si=ccnew&channel=b2c&partner=cc&catOid=-13220

thats cheeeeep enough.  if you have an sacd player, i strongly suggest that the sacd is the way to go but its single layer so you MUST have sacd playback capability if you want the sacd.