Recommendations for acoustic spanish guitar/flamenco....

Christof

« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2005, 09:20 pm »
Hifitommy, I picked up  Friday Night in S.F. on vinyl in Tucson a few years ago and have nearly played it to death...I love it.

Also just got turned on to Morao Y Oro  by Moraito...exactly the stuff I was looking for.  

You guys all have great suggestions and sure seem to know your music!

c.

nhtran

Re: a little more
« Reply #21 on: 16 Mar 2005, 11:00 pm »
Quote from: hifitommy

'friday night in san francisco' by di meola/mc laughlin/de lucia (interesting that all their names have spaces in them) is available on cd and sacd at:

http://entertainment.circuitcity.com/Music/Sea ...

I have both the cd and sacd of 'friday night'.  I don't think that the sacd is a true DSD recording (another PCM rehash from Sony).  I don't think its worth the additional cost.

BeeBop

« Reply #22 on: 18 Mar 2005, 11:10 am »
Quote from: Christof
Thanks for the suggestions...

I have a recording called Friday Nights in San Francisco with Paco de Lucia...

Oh yeah. Mediterranean Sundance is just incredible. Doesn't hurt that he is playing with Al DiMeola and John McLaughlin.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #23 on: 18 Mar 2005, 12:05 pm »
Someone on another forum recommended CHARO for this genre.
If you can keep the Cootchie-Cootchie image out of your mind and find an album that focuses on her guitar-playing, you might give it a listen.
She was on the Today Show recently, so there must be a new CD available??  It's kind of  a shock to see her play seriously---like when Jim Nabors (Gomer Pyle) or Jason Alexander (Seinfeld's George) would set aside their comedy and sing.

meby

Charo?
« Reply #24 on: 18 Mar 2005, 01:21 pm »
Man you learn something new everyday I did not know Charo could play the guitar. :o

carvalhot

« Reply #25 on: 18 Mar 2005, 02:21 pm »
Give Paco de Lucia's "Cositas Buenas" a listen, I think you will enjoy! This is pure Flamenco.

thomaspf

« Reply #26 on: 18 Mar 2005, 06:18 pm »
http://www.flamenceo-world.com is a specialized store which only carries flamenco related items. Their CD collection is quite good and I found them to provide excellent delivery to the US over the last couple of years.

This is of course not Mexican guitar but since there have been a few other pointers to Flamenco I thought I mention it.

For earthy sound you might want to try some of the old Sabicas recordings or Recital Flamenco from Manolo Sanlucar which is very sparsely arranged.

Other names that come to mind are Gerardo Nunez on his earlier recordings and Victor Monge "Serranito".

Cheers

Thomas

PhilNYC

« Reply #27 on: 18 Mar 2005, 07:01 pm »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
Someone on another forum recommended CHARO for this genre.
If you can keep the Cootchie-Cootchie image out of your mind and find an album that focuses on her guitar-playing, you might give it a listen.
She was on the Today Show recently, so there must be a new CD available??  It's kind of  a shock to see her play seriously---like when Jim Nabors (Gomer Pyle) or Jason Alexander (Seinfeld's George) would set aside their comedy and sing.

FWIW - Charo has won "Best Flamenco Guitarist" on a readers' poll in Guitar Player Magazine two consecutive years a few years back.  She was on the cast of last season's The Surreal Life and was shown giving Vince Neil (from Motley Crue) some guitar lessons...

nai02fungoid

One of my favorite albums of guitar music
« Reply #28 on: 10 Nov 2005, 09:29 pm »
I cannot remember the title.  The album was by John Williams and he recorded Spanish guitar music in the cloisters of a Spanish monastery.  Beautiful sound and lovely reverberations from the surroundings.  Just a gorgeous recording.

Chesky has some really good guitar recordings out as well that are worth checking out.