Need recommendations on a phono stage

Nick B

Need recommendations on a phono stage
« on: 16 Jul 2016, 11:02 pm »
I'm in the market for a phono stage and used units are fine. My max is $2,200 or so including any upgrades. From my research to date, I'd consider a Herron VTPH-2,  Avid Pulsus, Audio Note L3 V2,  LKV 2-SB. I'd like flexibility as to various loading options and prefer a unit where I don't need to take the lid off, but that's not all that important. I would prefer a warm, tending toward lush,  midrange as my current tastes are leaning in that direction. The unit can be for mm only as I've never owned a mc cartridge.

My associated equipment is
McCormack DNA 1.0 amp gold level
Antelope Gold DAC with Voltikus power supply
SP Tech Timepiece 3.0 speakers
Auralic Mini with Mojo Audio power supply
Basis Ovation turntable with Graham 1.5 T arm
Shure Ultra 500
all cabling by Gary Anderson

I consider this a neutral, revealing system that is slightly on the warm side. It resolves very well.
My phono hasn't been used in about 8 years. The Shure stylus is damaged.
Thanks for your input.
Nick

audioguy213

Re: Need recommendations on a phono stage
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2016, 11:21 pm »
Manley Chinook, roll tubes to taste.

saygrr

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2016, 12:55 am »
I recommend the K&K Audio Maxxed Out phono stage. Check out kandkaudio.com. I had an Audio Research PH3-SE with great northern sound reference mod. I like a lot but dynamics in the mid range was a little hard. The K&K took care of it. Give Kevin a call he is very easy to talk with. I was considering about 5 other units all more expensive. I'm very happy with my decision. I have a Mccormack TLC with SMC Signature mod line stage and a pair of DNA-1s mono blocked with Platinum+ mod from SMC. Speakers are Essence 10As with all the mods from Dale Pitcher. Cartridge is Clear Audio Maestro V2, a mm cartridge.

Have fun making your decision. I know it is not easy.

Jeff

drphoto

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2016, 01:04 am »
Nick, are you looking for a preamp or just a phono amp? Years ago I got a Mapletree tube pre with the phono when I ran my Rega P3-24.

I got it used for a good price. I thought it was pretty great. but of course mine is one of a million opinions you'll find on the net.

Minn Mark

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2016, 01:05 am »
Nick,
I suggest you audition the AVA Vision phono before you spend a lot more $$. I considered the Musical Surroundings Nova and LKV and Parasound units before hearing this AVA unit, which drives a Sumiko Blackbird HOMC on a VPI Classic I tt in my 250watt solid-state system feeding bi-wired Magneplanar 3.6R's.

It is silly good for the money. Exceedingly quiet, dynamic and adjustable for MM/MC.  And AVA gives a 30 day money back guarantee.

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=179&Itemid=237

Think about it.  Great reviews (see TAS) including this happy customer.

Mark

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2016, 01:07 am »
I recommend the K&K Audio Maxxed Out phono stage.

:thumb:

One of the guys in our audiophile group has the K&K Audio Maxxed Out, it's excellent.

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2016, 01:07 am »
Sorrry to go off the original thread.

Sayer, I heard some Essence speakers a long time ago and though they were phenomenal Are they still made?

Nick B

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2016, 01:19 am »
Nick, are you looking for a preamp or just a phono amp? Years ago I got a Mapletree tube pre with the phono when I ran my Rega P3-24.

I got it used for a good price. I thought it was pretty great. but of course mine is one of a million opinions you'll find on the net.

Drphoto
Just a phono stage. The dac has a preamp built in.

Nick B

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2016, 01:31 am »
Nick,
I suggest you audition the AVA Vision phono before you spend a lot more $$. I considered the Musical Surroundings Nova and LKV and Parasound units before hearing this AVA unit, which drives a Sumiko Blackbird HOMC on a VPI Classic I tt in my 250watt solid-state system feeding bi-wired Magneplanar 3.6R's.

It is silly good for the money. Exceedingly quiet, dynamic and adjustable for MM/MC.  And AVA gives a 30 day money back guarantee.

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=179&Itemid=237

Think about it.  Great reviews (see TAS) including this happy customer.

Mark

Mark,
Are you using the supplied wall wart or a linear power supply? I'll keep reading up on it. I nearly pulled the trigger on an AVA amp years ago, but that was still when Frank was hardwiring and I wanted an IEC
Nick

Nick B

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jul 2016, 01:40 am »
I recommend the K&K Audio Maxxed Out phono stage. Check out kandkaudio.com. I had an Audio Research PH3-SE with great northern sound reference mod. I like a lot but dynamics in the mid range was a little hard. The K&K took care of it. Give Kevin a call he is very easy to talk with. I was considering about 5 other units all more expensive. I'm very happy with my decision. I have a Mccormack TLC with SMC Signature mod line stage and a pair of DNA-1s mono blocked with Platinum+ mod from SMC. Speakers are Essence 10As with all the mods from Dale Pitcher. Cartridge is Clear Audio Maestro V2, a mm cartridge.

Have fun making your decision. I know it is not easy.

Jeff

Jeff,
I've heard nothing but positives on the K & K Maxxed Out. I know a Vegas dealer who has the silver wired transformers $$.
Thanks for the heads up. I had forgotten about K & K
Nick

Nick B

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jul 2016, 01:43 am »
Manley Chinook, roll tubes to taste.

Years ago, Manley gear had reliability issues. Any idea if the quality control is good nowadays?

Nick B

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jul 2016, 01:45 am »
:thumb:

One of the guys in our audiophile group has the K&K Audio Maxxed Out, it's excellent.

Thanks.  K & K is getting a few votes

saygrr

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jul 2016, 02:06 am »
drphoto Sorry to say Essence is no longer in business. The 10As are a very fine speaker especially with the updates.

saygrr

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jul 2016, 02:11 am »
Your welcome Nick B It is a decision you have to make, but I hope you call Kevin. He has put a lot of effort into this unit and you would be hard pressed to find another stage that has the quality of parts in it that the Maxxed Out has at it's price.

Jeff

Minn Mark

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jul 2016, 02:27 am »
Nick,
Sorry, I should have indicated I have the Vision phono circuits built into my AVA pre-amp. I have an "all AVA" system (PREAMP, AMP,DAC) The reviews in the press however I believe were done using the wall wart.

Frank is always happy to talk to folks directly; modifications to suit are generally on the table unless prohibitive for some reason.  Give him a call.

Best,

Mark

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jul 2016, 03:08 am »
Thanks.  K & K is getting a few votes

The build isn't that difficult, mine is right here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139171.0

However, Kevin charges very little for his own builds in all honesty.

It's a superb phono preamp, you can see what I paired it up with in my systems page.

Good luck!

Best,
Anand.

Nick B

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jul 2016, 05:28 am »
The build isn't that difficult, mine is right here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139171.0

However, Kevin charges very little for his own builds in all honesty.

It's a superb phono preamp, you can see what I paired it up with in my systems page.

Good luck!

Best,
Anand.

Hey Anand,
The Maxxed Out price on the website is $2,850 and that's over my budget. It's also unclear to me if that's a kit price or fully assembled. I did a search and some of  those units are selling used for under $2,000, so that may be an option. It certainly is highly regarded
Nick

Dragon_vibe

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jul 2016, 07:52 am »
I'm using the atmasphere mp1 3.3 an the phono is dead quiet. Extremely musical. Another unit to consider is the Mp3 but both are above your budget. If you can stretch it that would be my first option. A dealer I know can get you the mp3 with phono for approx 4000 range.

felixscerri

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jul 2016, 07:59 am »
G'day all, does the OP have any DIY electronics construction experience?  I can think of a number of simple DIY MM phono stages with truly excellent overall and sonic performance such as this one:  http://diyaudioprojects.com/Chip/Opamp-Phono-Preamp/  This unit is actually switchable between MM and MC, but if MC is not needed, simply omit the MC stage components as I have with mine.  I have also included a couple of simple modifications to improve the already excellent performance slightly.  Regards, Felix.         

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #19 on: 17 Jul 2016, 12:10 pm »
Hey Anand,
The Maxxed Out price on the website is $2,850 and that's over my budget. It's also unclear to me if that's a kit price or fully assembled. I did a search and some of  those units are selling used for under $2,000, so that may be an option. It certainly is highly regarded
Nick

Nick,

That's the assembled price.

Don't forget the Trio phono stage: http://www.kandkaudio.com/trio-phono-stage/

Kevin is VERY understated when he talks about the sonics of his products. The Trio is much less expensive but I bet it has a lot of the sonics of the Maxxed Out version since Kevin was in the design helm for both. Give him a ring, he's a wonderful designer and very "grounded", it's hard to get him to rave about something!

Best,
Anand.