Need recommendations on a phono stage

drphoto

Re: Need recommendations on a phono stage
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jul 2016, 12:11 pm »
Again, apologies to OP and all for off thread, but to saygrr. Yup, I heard the Essence 10's. Maybe one of the finest speakers going at the time. But that was way back in what? the 80's? Stunning detail, but not analytic. Big soundstage. All you could hope for. Except that they were huge and really expensive!

Ok, back on track to the OP. Mapletree makes a phono stage only I believe. I quite liked my full function pre, the Ulta 4C I think it was called.I think the phono stage alone is about $800. It does come with an outboard power supply, which is a good thing in my my mind, as it isolates any noise from the audio circuit.

It's a one man shop and the owner makes it all by hand in Canada.

Good luck. Vinyl is great. I dearly miss my Rega and Denon MC combo, but I simply didn't have time to sit down and play records. Sold to a buddy who uses everyday.

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jul 2016, 01:31 pm »
I recommend the K&K Audio Maxxed Out phono stage. Check out kandkaudio.com. I had an Audio Research PH3-SE with great northern sound reference mod. I like a lot but dynamics in the mid range was a little hard. The K&K took care of it. Give Kevin a call he is very easy to talk with. I was considering about 5 other units all more expensive. I'm very happy with my decision. I have a Mccormack TLC with SMC Signature mod line stage and a pair of DNA-1s mono blocked with Platinum+ mod from SMC. Speakers are Essence 10As with all the mods from Dale Pitcher. Cartridge is Clear Audio Maestro V2, a mm cartridge.

Have fun making your decision. I know it is not easy.

Jeff

Jeff,
I've heard nothing but positives on the K & K Maxxed Out. I know a Vegas dealer who has the silver wired transformers $$.
Thanks for the heads up. I had forgotten about K & K
Nick

I surprised the McCormack Micro Phono Drive (MPD) didn't appear as a suggestion. With both of you liking SMc's upgraded products you would be able to take your phono stage to any level you like. And if I'm not mistaken Steve M my even be able to accommodate you with your requirement for a warmer sound, you would need to confirm this with him but I'm sure he could adjust it some to your liking.
Here is a good thread on an extreme modded one, makes me more anxious waiting for my build to get done.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=132673.msg1414146#msg1414146
But the one thing I've noticed is the lack of the moddded units being sold on the used market, you very rarely see one come up for sale, to me that is a statement of itself.

saygrr
I know you were considering having one upgraded to the signature level are you still on the fence about it? I should be getting mine back sometime in the late fall. This will be the third upgrade to a MPD in the last ten years, I'm currently using a Platinum edition from 2009. I kind of like the idea of my TLC Signature and MPD Signature sharing the same VRE power supply.

Anyway you wouldn't have to take the MPD to the extreme like me or the thread above but the option is there to explore, plus with you starting from the entry level you would be able to explore all the different aspects that can affect the sound of your phono pre plus have the option to explore MC carts at the same time.

Just thought I would toss in my two old crusty pennies for thought.

mav52

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jul 2016, 01:37 pm »
I recommend the K&K Audio Maxxed Out phono stage. Check out kandkaudio.com. I had an Audio Research PH3-SE with great northern sound reference mod. I like a lot but dynamics in the mid range was a little hard. The K&K took care of it. Give Kevin a call he is very easy to talk with. I was considering about 5 other units all more expensive. I'm very happy with my decision. I have a Mccormack TLC with SMC Signature mod line stage and a pair of DNA-1s mono blocked with Platinum+ mod from SMC. Speakers are Essence 10As with all the mods from Dale Pitcher. Cartridge is Clear Audio Maestro V2, a mm cartridge.

Have fun making your decision. I know it is not easy.

Jeff

Didn't the OP mention his budget $2500 the Maxed Out is $4000 + heck of a stage though

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #23 on: 17 Jul 2016, 02:11 pm »
Rogue Ares is an excellent phono stage with many loading options, external power supply, and many very good review at just under $2k.

Another good option is a Cary PH-302, which we are selling at half off :

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649287685-cary-ph302-mkii-tube-mm-mc-phone-stage/

Both will give you that warm sound you want, the Cary perhaps more so.

Nick B

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jul 2016, 02:20 pm »
I'm using the atmasphere mp1 3.3 an the phono is dead quiet. Extremely musical. Another unit to consider is the Mp3 but both are above your budget. If you can stretch it that would be my first option. A dealer I know can get you the mp3 with phono for approx 4000 range.

Thanks, but I can't come close to that and I still need to buy a cartridge
Nick

Nick B

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jul 2016, 02:23 pm »
Rogue Ares is an excellent phono stage with many loading options, external power supply, and many very good review at just under $2k.

Another good option is a Cary PH-302, which we are selling at half off :

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649287685-cary-ph302-mkii-tube-mm-mc-phone-stage/

Both will give you that warm sound you want, the Cary perhaps more so.

Thanks, Will  check that out right now

drphoto

« Reply #26 on: 17 Jul 2016, 02:43 pm »
I'm certainly no authority in the area, but I loved my Denon high output MC cart. They no longer make the one I had, I think it was the 103?? Lot of reviews said it was best low/to mid priced cart at the time.

With my Rega deck, it was extremely musical, and it was dead quiet other than the occasional tick or pop from a stray bit of gunk. Of course I did invest in a vacuum record cleaner. It was way WAY better than the vinyl playback I had as a kid, and for the time, considered pretty high end. A Thorens deck with a Shure V15-4 cart. There was so much surface noise. I thought CD was a blessing when in came out due to lack of noise. Yeah...who knew

Hopefully the new Denon carts are as good. I'm sure there will be other opinions.

Digital is finally starting to sound pretty good,  (at least hi rez files....MP3 stuff sucks) but there's still something magic vinyl. Maybe it's more the experience than any thing. You have to be involved.

Nick B

« Reply #27 on: 17 Jul 2016, 03:14 pm »
I'm certainly no authority in the area, but I loved my Denon high output MC cart. They no longer make the one I had, I think it was the 103?? Lot of reviews said it was best low/to mid priced cart at the time.

With my Rega deck, it was extremely musical, and it was dead quiet other than the occasional tick or pop from a stray bit of gunk. Of course I did invest in a vacuum record cleaner. It was way WAY better than the vinyl playback I had as a kid, and for the time, considered pretty high end. A Thorens deck with a Shure V15-4 cart. There was so much surface noise. I thought CD was a blessing when in came out due to lack of noise. Yeah...who knew

Hopefully the new Denon carts are as good. I'm sure there will be other opinions.

Digital is finally starting to sound pretty good,  (at least hi rez files....MP3 stuff sucks) but there's still something magic vinyl. Maybe it's more the experience than any thing. You have to be involved.

At this point, I'd be looking at a bang for the buck mm cartridge or maybe a used one and do a retip  thru Soundsmith. I can always upgrade later. I have two armwands  for my Graham 1.5, so one cart would be for my 78s and the other for the 33s  The  Denon 103r is one I'm looking at

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #28 on: 17 Jul 2016, 03:24 pm »
Note that the AVA Viision free standing RIAA phono preamp DOES NOT USE a conventional wall wart power supply.

It simply uses a separate 120V to 15V AC step down transformer only  in the "wall wart" external little box.

The quiet analog plus and minus 12V DC supplies are internal and part of the main mother board, but on an isolated ground plane.

This keeps the power transformer away from the audio circuits and allows for much better quiet supplies thsn available in separate wall warts.

So, of course substituting a different linear external power supply won't work.

The Vision adjustable phono preamp is a more sophisticated device this you may have thought..

Frank

drphoto

« Reply #29 on: 17 Jul 2016, 03:47 pm »
Nick, yep that's the Denon I had. I thought it was fantastic for the money.

drphoto

« Reply #30 on: 17 Jul 2016, 03:48 pm »
MC with high output like a MM.

Nick B

« Reply #31 on: 17 Jul 2016, 04:33 pm »
Note that the AVA Viision free standing RIAA phono preamp DOES NOT USE a conventional wall wart power supply.

It simply uses a separate 120V to 15V AC step down transformer only  in the "wall wart" external little box.

The quiet analog plus and minus 12V DC supplies are internal and part of the main mother board, but on an isolated ground plane.

This keeps the power transformer away from the audio circuits and allows for much better quiet supplies thsn available in separate wall warts.

So, of course substituting a different linear external power supply won't work.

The Vision adjustable phono preamp is a more sophisticated device this you may have thought..

Frank

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't see a photo on the website. It would use a preamp sized chassis?

Nick B

« Reply #32 on: 17 Jul 2016, 04:43 pm »
I surprised the McCormack Micro Phono Drive (MPD) didn't appear as a suggestion. With both of you liking SMc's upgraded products you would be able to take your phono stage to any level you like. And if I'm not mistaken Steve M my even be able to accommodate you with your requirement for a warmer sound, you would need to confirm this with him but I'm sure he could adjust it some to your liking.
Here is a good thread on an extreme modded one, makes me more anxious waiting for my build to get done.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=132673.msg1414146#msg1414146
But the one thing I've noticed is the lack of the moddded units being sold on the used market, you very rarely see one come up for sale, to me that is a statement of itself.

saygrr
I know you were considering having one upgraded to the signature level are you still on the fence about it? I should be getting mine back sometime in the late fall. This will be the third upgrade to a MPD in the last ten years, I'm currently using a Platinum edition from 2009. I kind of like the idea of my TLC Signature and MPD Signature sharing the same VRE power supply.

Anyway you wouldn't have to take the MPD to the extreme like me or the thread above but the option is there to explore, plus with you starting from the entry level you would be able to explore all the different aspects that can affect the sound of your phono pre plus have the option to explore MC carts at the same time.

Just thought I would toss in my two old crusty pennies for thought.

I had a stock MPD and a 1st stage mod of the McCormack DAC 1. I sold both. I originally wanted to do an all McCormack system, but the path to the ultra was too expensive.  Yes, I was aware that Steve and Kris would work within my budget and they are great to deal with, but I just decided to go a different direction. I still have my McCormack DNA 1.0 Gold amp and it is excellent. It'll be a keeper for a long time.

Nick B

« Reply #33 on: 17 Jul 2016, 05:01 pm »
I received a PM about a Vinyl Song LCR unit  for apparently a very good price. Couldn't find any info about kit prices. I hadn't heard of the LCR layout before, but it appears this is used by some very high end companies. I did read some comments about noise issues from two posters, but this kit was professionally built and extra shielding was added to guard against that. I might add Jupiters and the idea of being about to pick the type of resistors is intriguing. Any comments would be appreciated

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #34 on: 17 Jul 2016, 06:38 pm »
Photo of internal circuits on page 1 and of outside of chassis, front and rear on page 2 are at the Vision phono preamp thread right here at AC at our home on this circle.

Also at our web site: www.avahifi.com. Mouse over PRODUCTS on home page, go down to Vibion phono preamp, and click.  Easy.

Frank*

saygrr

« Reply #35 on: 17 Jul 2016, 08:07 pm »
C17FXR Yes I seriously considered a Mccormack/smc phono stage. I struggled between the K&K and SMC for several months before I decided buying the K&K.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #36 on: 17 Jul 2016, 08:20 pm »
MC with high output like a MM.

That's the DL 160.

drphoto

« Reply #37 on: 17 Jul 2016, 11:18 pm »
Thanks, it was a few years back. That thing was pretty great IMHO.Too bad not made now.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #38 on: 17 Jul 2016, 11:22 pm »
Yeah, loved mine till it broke.

dolsey01

« Reply #39 on: 18 Jul 2016, 02:43 pm »
You might consider the Graham Slee loaner program, you can try any of his equipment at home for two weeks.  No purchase at all required, you just pay the shipping round trip.  I'm trying the Accession in a few weeks, as soon as it comes available from the next demo user.