Omega RS5 Omni's

mick wolfe

Omega RS5 Omni's
« on: 6 Jun 2016, 10:09 pm »

These have been in house for about a week and a half and I can safely say they're going to be an excellent fit on all parameters.

RDavidson

Re: Omega RS5 Omni's
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2016, 11:39 pm »
Cool! What finish are they? Walnut?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2016, 12:04 am »
Very nice Mick.  Looks like EKO Teak.

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2016, 03:14 am »
Cool! What finish are they? Walnut?

Canada Rob nailed it....EKO teak.

beowulf

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2016, 09:31 pm »
Those are super cool and the Teak is really beautiful... nice choice on the EKO.

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2016, 10:25 pm »
Thanks. Both the EKO Teak and "omni" design approach have been winners.

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2016, 01:25 am »
Hi mick wolfe,

Many thanks for the great pictures of your omni's. I would like to to focus a lot more on the duals including the omni's and the 1.5's. Very happy you are enjoying the sound in your system.

The EKO Teak looks great too.

Thanks again,
Louis

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2016, 07:43 pm »
Thx Louis. Yeah the photos posted here are from my iPhone, so I wouldn't call them great.....but certainly good enough to get a handle on the physical appearance of the Omega RS5 Omni.

Cante Ista

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2016, 12:33 am »

These have been in house for about a week and a half and I can safely say they're going to be an excellent fit on all parameters.

could you please expend on these parameters. What is most important to you? What music do you listen to? How big is your room and how much have you played with placement?

mick wolfe

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2016, 04:53 am »
Louis and I discussed the parameters of this design a couple times before the project actually came to fruition. My basic thought was to somewhat mimic my Ohm 1000's, but at the same time achieve a massive gain in efficiency and eliminate a x-over. One more perk was for my amp( Line Magnetic 218ia ) to "look" at a speaker that could be configured as a 16 ohm load.  My room is small to say the least at 10' x 11'. The Ohm 1000 is the only speaker I've ever found to really work in this room. This based on dragging a plethora of mini monitors thru the room over a two year period.  In the final analysis, the Ohm proved to be the most convincing by a wide margin. First off, it's "omni" presentation works better in a small room. Actually seems to "blow out" the walls and enlarge the room. Secondly, the omni presentation sounds more like music the way I hear it live. I guess that's why many prefer panels and open baffles as well.
So how does the Omega stack up against the Ohm? The strength of the Ohm 1000 is its voicing. Leaves most speakers (at this price point and beyond) in the dust in its ability to put the performer and instruments "in the room".  Well, the Omega "omni" is right there as well in this regard. The RS5 driver is superb, but after a demo of the Super 3i Monitor,  I realized 2- RS5's in a much larger floor standing cabinet would be needed to match the 1000. This is where Louis took over for the final design in regard to driver placement and cabinet size/design. Bottom line.....what seemed to be somewhat of a leap of faith in the beginning has turned out to be a nicely refined final product to my ear. I might also mention that both of these speakers ( Ohm or Omega) could certainly be at home in "venue" twice the size of the above mentioned 10' x 11' room. Thanks Louis.......Mick

mick wolfe

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2016, 04:04 pm »
As to the last part of your question....listening in a basic near field set-up that roughly amounts to a 7' equilateral triangle in regard to speaker placement and listening position. Back of speakers about 30" from the front wall and positioned with a slight toe-in. Listening to mostly blues, jazz, folk and world including reggae.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #11 on: 6 Jul 2016, 04:20 pm »
Those are VERY nice. Is this your first pair of Omega speakers? I have a pair of Supercharged Omega 3XRS's. It has the active built in 8 inch sub. I too took a complete leap of faith and man did I ever make the right choice. I love my speakers. Best pair of speakers I have ever owned. The RS5 driver is an amazing driver. Anyway, I am in talks with Louis right now to have him build me a pair with dual RS'5 drivers. So my question for you is, what does placing the second RS5 driver on top do to the sound? Louis was just going to do two RS5 drivers on the front. And two active 8inch subs in the back.   

mick wolfe

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jul 2016, 05:13 pm »
Jeff

Yes, my first Omega aside from the initial Super 3i audition. The up-firing driver opens up the soundstage and certainly helps with the "disappearing act" factor. In other words, the Omni disappears in much the same way as the Ohm 1000 I've mentioned. In addition, the second driver helps in sharing the workload and adds to the speaker's sense of ease.  These statements based on what I've heard in comparison to the Super 3i Monitor. Adding a second RS5 driver is a real game changer IMHO. This of course coupled with a wider baffle and larger cabinet. I'm also guessing, like the Ohm 1000, best suited for small to medium sized rooms. One more caveat....I do use a single REL T-2 as well in my room.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #13 on: 6 Jul 2016, 06:37 pm »
Jeff

Yes, my first Omega aside from the initial Super 3i audition. The up-firing driver opens up the soundstage and certainly helps with the "disappearing act" factor. In other words, the Omni disappears in much the same way as the Ohm 1000 I've mentioned. In addition, the second driver helps in sharing the workload and adds to the speaker's sense of ease.  These statements based on what I've heard in comparison to the Super 3i Monitor. Adding a second RS5 driver is a real game changer IMHO. This of course coupled with a wider baffle and larger cabinet. I'm also guessing, like the Ohm 1000, best suited for small to medium sized rooms. One more caveat....I do use a single REL T-2 as well in my room.

And the soundstage with just the one front firing driver is amazing, I can imagine what that second upward firing driver does. And yeah, the second driver for sure makes things a lot easier on both the speaker and amp. The Decware SE84UFO loves a 4ohm load and Louis told me that adding the second driver would drop that amp to a 4ohm load. What are the dimensions of your speaker. They look a lot taller than mine.

mick wolfe

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jul 2016, 07:51 pm »
36" x 12"( width) x 8" (depth)

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #15 on: 6 Jul 2016, 08:25 pm »
36" x 12"( width) x 8" (depth)

Yeah, bigger all the way around. 9 inches taller.  I am feeling inferior, yours are bigger than mine. LOL  :D
I like the fact that so much sound comes out of such a small footprint.

mick wolfe

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jul 2016, 12:37 am »
You're going to have to give me a break. This will be my first "size" contest victory :D  And yes, the Omegas play bigger than you might except, especially when throwing in the second driver. I'm thinking not having a x-over to negotiate really helps in this regard. And the excellent RS5 driver of course.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #17 on: 7 Jul 2016, 02:38 am »
You're going to have to give me a break. This will be my first "size" contest victory :D  And yes, the Omegas play bigger than you might except, especially when throwing in the second driver. I'm thinking not having a x-over to negotiate really helps in this regard. And the excellent RS5 driver of course.

Alright. I will give you a break. For now. But Louis and I are in talks right now and if he does the dual RS5 drive combo like yours and dual integrated 8's, mine will be bigger. Lol  :D In all seriousness though. I bet for the huge soundstage your Omni's are throwing, the sound to size ratio isn't even comparable.  What Louis has done with the design of his speakers is simple jaw dropping. They play so much louder and bigger than they look. I brought a friend over about a week ago and played some very demanding and dynamic music and the Supercharged 3XRS's didn't break a sweat. And then I told him all that sound was coming from a 2 watt per channel amp and he didn't believe me. How close are you to Colorado? I would love to hear your Omni's. I most likely will have a pair in the near future. Maybe a Christmas present to myself.   :D

mick wolfe

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jul 2016, 02:52 pm »
I'm in Tucson, so not exactly right around the corner, but I'm always open for auditions :D

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #19 on: 7 Jul 2016, 05:44 pm »
I'm in Tucson, so not exactly right around the corner, but I'm always open for auditions :D

Well, I used to live in Tucson. But that doesn't help now does it.