New King of 2.5k or less universals

Ears

« on: 5 Nov 2004, 05:33 pm »
The new King is the Onkyo sp1000 universal that lists for 2k, but can be had for 1675.00 or less.

Forget the Denon 5900 and 3910....there is a new sherriff in town :D

I have owned all three of these players and the S/I based Onkyo is clearly better not only for video, but also cd/sa-cd playback.

Forget dcdi as it is now second best and Denon only used it in there recent players to save money over using Silicon Images.

For more unanimous opinions on the Onlyo sp 1000, go to www.avsforum.com dvd section and read the thread entitled Integra dps 10.5 (Same exact player) and read all the personal as well as pro reveiws of the Onkyo sp 1000.

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2004, 08:04 pm »
How often do you change players? :lol:

Onkyo huh? Not one I'd think of when I'm thinking good DVDP.

I'm rather pleased with my current player as it is. But I might have to take a look at the Onkyo on my next visit to the local shop to see what it's like.

Ears

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2004, 10:05 pm »
Quote from: bubba966
How often do you change players? :lol:

Onkyo huh? Not one I'd think of when I'm thinking good DVDP.

I'm rather pleased with my current player as it is. But I might have to take a look at the Onkyo on my next visit to the local shop to see what it's like.

The 3910 was an in home comparison only,,,,anyway do not take an Onkyo sp 1000 home unless you plan on buying it....because you won't be taking it back :D

Jay S

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2004, 04:57 pm »
The buzz is that the Onkyo is the player to beat... stock.  I don't know of anyone who has modded an Onkyo but there doesn't seem to be much space at all inside... whereas the 3910 has plenty of space for a linear power supply and all sorts of stuff.  I'd love for someone to compare a modded 3910 vs an Onkyo.  

Used to be that the street price of the Onkyo was 2x the 3910, now is looks like you're looking at 1675 vs 1000.

Ears

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2004, 07:31 pm »
Quote from: Jay S
The buzz is that the Onkyo is the player to beat... stock.  I don't know of anyone who has modded an Onkyo but there doesn't seem to be much space at all inside... whereas the 3910 has plenty of space for a linear power supply and all sorts of stuff.  I'd love for someone to compare a modded 3910 vs an Onkyo.  

Used to be that the street price of the Onkyo was 2x the 3910, now is looks like you're looking at 1675 vs 1000.

Beleive me the onkyo could be modded whith better caps,internal wiring,clock whith its own power supply ect whithout problem.
The toridal transformer would of course stay.

The video section would remain the best regardless of mods and I have no faith right now in Denons QC at all, and I am in no hurry to mod the sp 1000 like I would have been the 3910.

EVS and RAM East are just waiting for somone to send 1 in as they are both interested in modding the Onkyo.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2004, 07:47 pm »
I have been keeping my eye on this one too.  Looks like it could be the best "stock" Uni-player under $4k

Ears

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2004, 12:45 am »
FYI.... the best universal for 4k or less is available at Vanns for 1446.70 shipped.
This is well over 500.00 off what I paid, but even at list, it is a bargain.

Greg

Jay S

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2004, 01:51 am »
Great news re new price.

Anyone done a comparison with the Teac Estoric DV-50?

Ears

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2004, 02:06 am »
Quote from: Jay S
Great news re new price.

Anyone done a comparison with the Teac Estoric DV-50?

One owner compared to a dv-50 at work were they sell them and said the dv-50 was better at cd/sa-cd but not by a lot.
The sp 1000 is the superior video player though.

The actual player he compared was an Integra dps 10.5 which is the exact same player whith added bnc component and a longer warranty for 2.5k.

I think it would be asking a lot for a 2k player to be as good at audio as the dv-50.

The main players that I have seen compared in pro and private reveiws have been the Denon 5900/3910 Marantz 9500 and Pioneer 59avi.

The pro reveiws were French and German were the sp 1000 cost 5k in U.s dollars.

There is also a new reveiw in a british rag that gave the sp 1000 5 out of 5 stars.

I don't beleive there are any U.S reveiws just yet.

Greg

andy_c

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2004, 07:24 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
I have been keeping my eye on this one too.  Looks like it could be the best "stock" Uni-player under $4k

This one seems to be a winner.  Just got mine last Saturday from Vann's (at a price of $100 more than what they're advertising it for now).  Sounds great with my RM30's.  It has a kind of easygoing sound, much mellower than the Denon 2900 it replaced.  Sound on Redbook is greatly improved from the 2900, though the improvement on high-res is not as dramatic.  I've found the RM30's are somewhat unkind to poorly recorded disks, and much of my collection is old jazz, poorly recorded.  The sp1000 makes the system much more forgiving overall.  This is a big, big improvement for me.  I find myself listening to music for longer periods of time now.  I had previously thought that my shorter listening sessions were a result of conditioning from LP's years ago, only listening to one side.  But apparently there was some listener fatigue coming into play with the Denon.  I'm a happy camper and would definitely recommend this piece of gear, especially at the price Vann's is selling it for.  Build quality is top notch.  Bass management is not nearly as flexible as with the Denons though, with a fixed cutoff frequency and slope.  The only thing that bugs me a bit about it is that programming track sequences is difficult without a monitor, at least for me.

Ears

« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2004, 12:46 am »
www.hometheaterchoice .com just gave the sp1000 its third rave reveiw and 5 out of 5 stars.

Now weve heard from the Germans, French and British...can a U.S. reveiw be far behind  :D

You will have to buy the rag to read it though as its in this months issue.

Greg

Ears

« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2004, 12:53 am »
Quote from: andy_c
This one seems to be a winner.  Just got mine last Saturday from Vann's (at a price of $100 more than what they're advertising it for now).  Sounds great with my RM30's.  It has a kind of easygoing sound, much mellower than the Denon 2900 it replaced.  Sound on Redbook is greatly improved from the 2900, though the improvement on high-res is not as dramatic.  I've found the RM30's are somewhat unkind to poorly recorded disks, and much of my collection is old jazz, poorly recorded.  The sp1000 makes the syste ...

Andy... you need around 200 hours on sa-cd for instance before it really shines on this or any other decent player...same goes for redbook.

I have very revealing speakers  and whith well recorded sa-cd, it  has that same musical foot tapping thing going for it as compared to the digital sounding Denon 3910 and 5900.

I can listen to the sp 1000 for hours and hours and my foot never stops tapping :D

andy_c

« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2004, 02:14 am »
Quote from: Ears
Andy... you need around 200 hours on sa-cd for instance before it really shines on this or any other decent player...same goes for redbook.

Well, I'm an objectivist kind of guy (see my web page in profile), so I don't believe in the breakin thing, except for speakers.  No offense intended.  But right out of the box, this machine is a clear winner over the 2900 and moves my system to another level.

Ears

« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2004, 02:20 am »
Quote from: andy_c
Quote from: Ears

Well, I'm an objectivist kind of guy (see my web page in profile), so I don't believe in the breakin thing, except for speakers.  No offense intended.  But right out of the box, this machine is a clear winner over the 2900 and moves my system to another level.

Well you can beleive this, the sp 1000 is now sold out at Vanns.

I would read your point of veiw, but why bother break in is real, especially with digital.

andy_c

« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2004, 02:54 am »
I would read your point of veiw...

Oh, did you mean the page I referred to?  It doesn't say a thing about breakin, it's just a bunch of equations about phono preamp design.  I wasn't trying to sell you on a point of view.

Anyway, back to the Onkyo - I agree that it's a great piece of gear and would recommend it to anyone considering a player in this price range.

gitarretyp

« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2004, 07:52 am »
I'm going to guess that the onkyo likely has better video than the marantz dv9500, but how do they compare on the audio front? Has anyone here actually had a chance to demo a 9500 or own one?

How about an even less likely comparison: Has anyone compared the redbook and sacd performance of the onkyo to the marantz sa-14v1 (what i currently own)?

Ears

« Reply #16 on: 12 Nov 2004, 01:25 pm »
Quote from: gitarretyp
I'm going to guess that the onkyo likely has better video than the marantz dv9500, but how do they compare on the audio front? Has anyone here actually had a chance to demo a 9500 or own one?

How about an even less likely comparison: Has anyone compared the redbook and sacd performance of the onkyo to the marantz sa-14v1 (what i currently own)?

The only comparison I have seen was in a German reveiw and the Onkyo won over the Marantz 9500 for video and audio....although they did mention that the Marantz was slightly more musical so the audio side might be best compared in your systym.

Greg

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #17 on: 12 Nov 2004, 05:24 pm »
Onkyo DV-SP1000 info link.... :)

jermmd

« Reply #18 on: 12 Nov 2004, 05:49 pm »
will this player output SACD and dvda via analog out or do you need to output digital to a seperate decoder?

Joe M.

andy_c

« Reply #19 on: 12 Nov 2004, 08:53 pm »
It has both 2-channel and multichannel analog outs.  I think all universal players have those nowadays.