Are "Tunas" still a "Thing"?

dB Cooper

Are "Tunas" still a "Thing"?
« on: 28 May 2016, 02:05 pm »
Does anybody make Tunas anymore?

The humble Tuna, once a key ingredient of any audio system, seems to be a thing of the past... I have never seen one on display at a show, or a review or an ad in recent memory. And threads on her about them are rare- I wasn't even sure where to put this.

Guess FM is considered passé, but I can tell ya, my Van Alstine Super Tuner Two (built in a Dyna FM-5 chassis) sounded as good (on the right source material and the right station) as a lot of friends' primary sources did. Friends who weren't even audiophiles used to give me unsolicited raves on it.

Curious as to who here still runs a Tuna, which one(s), and what percentage of your listening time would you estimate it gets. I don't have a component Tuna anymore (recently gave away a disassembled Dyna FM3 which sat around here for years) but my Tivoli One has a line out and pretty good sound.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Are "Tunas" still a "Thing"?
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2016, 02:39 pm »
I have one in the shop system and an old receiver for desktop. Mostly for NPR, sometimes for Bob and Tom and in the case of desk, it acts as a lift for monitor. Car system gets used much the same. I haven't thought about it much elsewhere. My wife listens to AM radio talk shows but fidelity is so far down her list as to be no concern.

Yet another thing once held in high regard now relegated to near dinosaur status.

But the old ones with lit band indicators smoothly reeling up and down the dial still impress me some...

Phil_S

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2016, 02:43 pm »
Magnum FT-11...WETA (PBS) & WPFW (Pacifica) - Classical & Jazz respectively.  I listen about 10-15% of the time.

sunnydaze

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2016, 03:29 pm »
Wish they were.  Maybe my listed Carver TX-11A would sell!      :o

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2016, 03:35 pm »
I wonder if the definition of Tuna has evolved to the point where it would not just include AM and FM, but also XM and stream satellite/internet stations as well. If that's the case, then yea.... Squeezebox comes to mind. But to have a black box that doesn't nothing but AM and FM and a remote for the volume control would be like buying a car missing all the "necessary" features we've all come to expect. A/C, sunroofs, power seats and windows, Bluetooth, etc..etc..

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2016, 03:42 pm »
Radio yes, tuners no. I have an Onkyo T-9 and Sony XDR-F1HD sitting idle. There's very little of interest to me on FM these days in my town, so I mainly stream.

I do listen to the radio in the morning mainly because I haven't find a bathroom radio that streams.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2016, 03:56 pm »
I bought one years back (Sansui TU-717) when I lived in a DC area.  I listened a bit and then I got a modded TU-717.  Over the course of about a year, I probably listened about 6-7 hours total, if that.  So I traded it for a pair of speakers.  There is not really good FM where I am now.  When I had my Squeezebox Touch, I listened to high quality internet radio and found it better to my likely vs. the tuner (especially since I had a good DAC).  I also had a pre/pro at the time with HD Radio, and, other than tuning in the stations initially, I did not listen.

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2016, 04:26 pm »
I have 12 of them from the Marantz 115B to the Marantz ST-17 and several Sony SA50ES, XDR-F1HD, Onkyo T4555, Marantz ST7001, Parasound T/DQ-1600, Denon TU-1500RD, and a few Yamahas. I also have several HD sony radios upstairs, along with a couple of receivers (Outlaw and Marantz). I listen to lots of FM.

'ner

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2016, 05:30 pm »
Haven't had one in years....can't even remember what happened to it.  :scratch:

The thing is that I have all my music downloaded (10K+ songs) on the computer and I usually play it on shuffle - my own radio station so to speak.

When I listen to the radio, the overly loud ads (often with those squawky female voices) are really irritating.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2016, 05:40 pm »
Sure, each system has a tuner.
I got hooked on tube tuners so run 3 Sherwoods and a Harman Kardon.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2016, 05:42 pm »
The thing is that I have all my music downloaded (10K+ songs) on the computer and I usually play it on shuffle - my own radio station so to speak.

When I listen to the radio, the overly loud ads (often with those squawky female voices) are really irritating.
Agreed on all counts!
And not to mention "the loop" of the same songs over and over on the radio.  :roll:
That's one nice thing about Pandora, Spotify, etc..etc... there's an endless supply of "If you liked that, you'll like this too...."

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2016, 06:19 pm »
I use a Kenwood KT 917 every day. It accounts for about 95% of my listening. Go on line and check out KVNF. That's where I hang out.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2016, 06:43 pm »
I used to use my tuner quite often, an Adcom GFT-555II, but I took my antenna off the roof a couple of years back, and haven't listed to it since. Most FM stations now stream their programing, so there isn't much need for it. By the way if your looking for minimal compression and enjoy Classical and Jazz music, try Vermont Public Radio.

Doc

richidoo

« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2016, 07:10 pm »
Listening to mine now, a Sansui TU-717. Just had it tuned up, new dial lamps, new caps.  :thumb:  It's on all the time, listening to WCPE.

There is very little analog left in most FM signals. The source material is digital files, they stream from studio to transmitter in compressed format, then they add Nielson rating encoded signal, and some stations even use 3rd party software to boost the Neilson signal to make it even more harsh and gritty. This is the reality of commercial radio stations. Government supported and charity run stations tend to sound better without boosting Neilson, and some broadcast full resolution signal with minimal processing.

I have two good jazz stations and an excellent, classical station that is run by an audiophile/engineer. 100kW 24/7/365 music, no news. So that's worth investing in a great tuner and rooftop yagi.

Yamaha makes a tuner and most cell phones have FM tuner built in, so technically people own more tunas than ever! But my cell phone uses the headphone wire for antenna, so I never use it for FM.

dB Cooper

« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2016, 07:14 pm »

And not to mention "the loop" of the same songs over and over on the radio.  :roll:

Yeah, most of the radio stations are owned by the same outlets and run the same stuff. When you hear "Stairway", you know "Maggie May" ain't far behind. Public stations do better about that. And yes, most of them stream, but not always with good SQ- WPFW's (mostly jazz) stream is a measly 64kbps. And they're about 50% 'talk radio'. My Tivoli is fine for that. The best classical station I've ever heard was KWAX-FM in Oregon; they had a fantastic 320K AAC stream, almost CD-quality, but they apparently couldn't play nice with the organization that manages royalties and licensing and don't stare anymore. There's a classical station here in the DC 'burbs that I could pick up with a tuna, but they have a very 'safe' repertoire.

Wayner

« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2016, 07:33 pm »
Listening to mine now, a Sansui TU-717. Just had it tuned up, new dial lamps, new caps.  :thumb:  It's on all the time, listening to WCPE.

There is very little analog left in most FM signals. The source material is digital files, they stream from studio to transmitter in compressed format, then they add Nielson rating encoded signal, and some stations even use 3rd party software to boost the Neilson signal to make it even more harsh and gritty. This is the reality of commercial radio stations. Government supported and charity run stations tend to sound better without boosting Neilson, and some broadcast full resolution signal with minimal processing.

I have two good jazz stations and an excellent, classical station that is run by an audiophile/engineer. 100kW 24/7/365 music, no news. So that's worth investing in a great tuner and rooftop yagi.

Yamaha makes a tuner and most cell phones have FM tuner built in, so technically people own more tunas than ever! But my cell phone uses the headphone wire for antenna, so I never use it for FM.

One of the biggest "classic rock" stations in the US is right here in Minneapolis, KQRS. They have gone back to vinyl for all of their music. On Memorial day they are doing the Beatles "A to Z" on vinyl. Should be fun, as there are some Beatles LPs that I have never heard.

If you want to talk about pre-programmed, revolving door music, then give NPR a listen to. Its the same crap every Monday, every Tuesday..........very sickening for me.

'ner

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2016, 07:48 pm »
NPR here is 100% talk

Panelhead1

stI'll use one a lot
« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2016, 09:18 pm »
  Use a Day Sequerra M-4 to feed a Dac. Used to use a Sangean HDT-1X to do the same. It not as good as real 44.1/16 or 96/24 files. The variety is fantastic.
  Hope there are always a classical, jazz, and Pacifica station available locally.

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2016, 09:52 pm »
I have two Sony XDR-F1HD's, one at home and the other in my shop and both get a lot of use. The shop tuner is on from 9:00 am - 6:00 pm switching from NPR to KXCI to Downtown Radio 99.1, Tucson's latest low power, commercial free independent station. Tucson now has two independent stations with real DJ's and no set play lists.

JakeJ

« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2016, 09:54 pm »
Currently using a Naim NAT05.  I listen to local NPR (KFAE 89.1 FM) as it has excellent classical and jazz shows as well as Click and Clack reruns, Inland Folk, Thistle & Shamrock, and my new fav, The Retro Cocktail Hour.  I often listen to Bob and Tom on the way to work.  I own a Kenwood KT-917, Tandberg 3001A, Kenwood KT-8007, The Fisher Radio Company all tune R-200, and others I can't remember right now.

I have had a love affair with radio since childhood.