Are "Tunas" still a "Thing"?

*Scotty*

Re: Are "Tunas" still a "Thing"?
« Reply #60 on: 31 May 2016, 01:25 am »

dB Cooper

« Reply #61 on: 31 May 2016, 10:44 pm »
Light beer was actually designed to reduce alcohol consumption. Very few people are brought to the local detox center because they were drinking beer, especially light beer. Distilled spirits are the leading cause for visits to detox.

Demonizing beer companies because they make a "lighter" alcohol content beer proves how badly some people completely miss the boat. Again, people were manipulated into thinking "tastes great, less filling", but the real purpose was to be more filling, less drunk. Light beers are heavily promoted at sporting events, because they know that their fan base is filled with beer drinkers, and the goal for the event was to get thru it without casualties. So while some folks think the beer companies are ripping them off, they are actually saving their ass.

'ner

It's so they can sell you more beer before they have to cut you off. They don't care how much alcohol you consume; they care how many beers you buy. Same reason they put out all the salty snacks in bars. They know what they're doing. And the girls all look purtier at closing' time....

Anybody ever bern to a bar that had a good tuna?   :|

Wayner

« Reply #62 on: 31 May 2016, 11:11 pm »
What ever.............At some point people will have to learn about personal responsibility rather then blaming others for their own follies.

*Scotty*

« Reply #63 on: 31 May 2016, 11:34 pm »
Quoted from article i linked to at Mental_Floss.com ,"But it wasn't until 1967 that Joseph L. Owades, a biochemist for Rheingold Breweries in Brooklyn, produced a variation that would change the fate of the drink and make him the "Father of Light Beer." His invention: Gablinger's Diet Beer.

Owades's drink hoped to reverse a trend he'd noticed—people had stopped drinking beer to avoid gaining weight. To reduce the brew's calorie count, Owades employed an enzyme that broke down starches found in malt, leaving behind fewer carbohydrates. While Gablinger's Diet Beer was ahead of its time, Rheingold's marketing was not. The beer company pushed Gablinger's as a healthier alternative to traditional beer. But the poorly conceived ads featuring "a man with the girth of a sumo wrestler" devouring a plate of spaghetti, then washing it down with a diet beer, didn't appeal to the weight-conscious women it supposedly targeted. The beverage flopped.

With Rheingold's consent, Owades gave his recipe to Chicago's Meister Brau brewery, which released the equally unsuccessful Meister Brau Lite. But when Miller Brewing Company acquired Meister Brau in the early '70s, it sensed an opportunity. Miller tweaked the formula and repackaged the brand as "Lite Beer from Miller." The timing was fortuitous. Miller Lite, as it became known, debuted just in time to catch a new wave of "healthier" products, including diet soda and low-tar cigarettes.
Scotty

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #64 on: 31 May 2016, 11:41 pm »
What ever.............At some point people will have to learn about personal responsibility rather then blaming others for their own follies.
No. Sadly. No, they won't. We've gotten away from such things.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #65 on: 1 Jun 2016, 02:21 pm »
For anyone who is NPR-phobic, there are community radio stations like KAFM in Grand Junction, Colorado who don't mess with the signal and do play an eclectic mixture of music. These stations generally strive to provide something for everyone so you will find different programming at different times of day and days of the week. There is very little talk on KAFM but, of course, unless you live in this valley you will have to stream them.

There are also syndicated shows on public radio like the late lamented Car Talk and the less lamented Prairie Home Companion. Another one which I think many of you might enjoy is E-Town, which is a live music show with weekly guest artists. It's hosted by Nick and Helen Forster, as has been the case since its inception some 25 years ago. I'm sure there are many more with which I am not familiar. Look around.

dB Cooper

« Reply #66 on: 2 Jun 2016, 08:21 pm »
It's time to let go of Car Talk, and I say that as a fan. It's over. Ten-year-old phone calls about twelve-year-old cars don't seem like a good use of air time to me.

As for Prairie, I change the station immediately as soon as I hear Keillor's voice. I don't know why but that voice just turns me off massively. Even a good tuna won't save it.

WGH

« Reply #67 on: 3 Jun 2016, 02:13 am »
Ten-year-old phone calls about twelve-year-old cars don't seem like a good use of air time to me.

I beg to differ, some of us like our old cars. Car Talk and an excellent mechanic keep my '77 Jeep Wagoneer running like new, which is good because it is my only vehicle. My friends who drive nondescript look alike little white bubble cars never get thumbs-up from bikers and dogs. Yes, dogs love old Jeeps more than any vehicle made because they instinctively know if they get in one they are going to have a good time.

dB Cooper

« Reply #68 on: 3 Jun 2016, 02:30 am »
They can podcast that sh** then, I think its a fairly niche segment of the population trying to keep 29yo cars alive. I'm sure there are user groups that provide way more useful info anyway. Guess you got a good one; '70's American cars were not renowned for their QC.

Guess the tuna topic has run its course  :?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #69 on: 3 Jun 2016, 02:44 am »
I don't listen to Car Talk to figure out how to fix old cars (which I own), I listen to them to learn how to diagnose car problems that afflict even the look-a-like bubbles.  It's also as much about the interactions with the callers, and the entertainment the warden and I get from it.   I also get to look smart when I figure it out before Tom and Ray (usually because I've heard that segment before and she hasn't.)   :peek:

That said, it's only a matter of time.....

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #71 on: 3 Jun 2016, 01:19 pm »
Like it or not, folks, I think Garrison Keillor will be remembered as an American icon on par with Will Rogers and Mark Twain. For me, Prairie got old eventually but you can't help but applaud the achievement represented by keeping a weekly radio show of that kind alive for 40 years. It was like The Smothers Brothers show in many ways but operated without the benefit of visual and lasted about 35 more years.

I agree with Thunderbrick about CarTalk being primarily about entertainment. Read up on the credentials of the Magliozzi brothers. They really knew what they were talking about and they brought it to us with a humor and grace unmatched by anyone else in show business. Forget about any practicality. That was purely incidental side benefit. They were a beautiful pair of humans who brought compassion, understanding, right-living and love to my radio every week for a couple of generations. Car Talk may not have been for everybody but everybody benefits in the long run when that level of character is shared so generously. I'll never forget them.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #72 on: 3 Jun 2016, 01:45 pm »
Like it or not, folks, I think Garrison Keillor will be remembered as an American icon on par with Will Rogers and Mark Twain. For me, Prairie got old eventually but you can't help but applaud the achievement represented by keeping a weekly radio show of that kind alive for 40 years.

+1!  For many years I scheduled my Saturday morning house/lawn repairs to match the Car Talk broadcast slots.  Same with relaxing to PHC in the evening.

Both have begun to run out of gas, but so have each of us. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #73 on: 4 Jun 2016, 12:31 am »
Bob - Tom Magliozzi, the older brother passed away in 2014 from Alzheimers. He was 77. I'm not too sure when the last new show was aired but it was awhile ago and I recall al lot of melancholy people mourning everywhere. They were a cherished public radio tradition. Love the accent so much I went and married a Massachusetts girl. She's from Salisbury. Born in Newburyport. You met her.

dB Cooper

« Reply #74 on: 5 Jun 2016, 11:58 pm »
One of the reasons Car Talk is hard for me to listen to now is the weekly routine of Ray needling Tom about not being able to remember the previous week's "puzzler". It's kinda not funny now.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #75 on: 6 Jun 2016, 12:36 am »
It's all reruns now I guess since half the team has been dead over 2 years. I didn't even know they were on the air. Pure nostalgia at this point. It's one of those"things of my youth" kind of stings for me. One of those "Souvenirs" that John Prine sings about. I've come to believe that aging is about gradual loss, prosthetic compensation and ultimately, loneliness. Little dips into the familiarities of our youth help enormously to cushion the shock. I think it is called reverie.

Click & Clack had a good long run and I'm glad I got to run part way with them.

As noted above, Tom died of Alzheimers. Now we know they were joking with us about a grim reality --- Tommy Magliozzi really was losing it.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #76 on: 6 Jun 2016, 01:41 am »
Yeah, but the irony could as easily being killed by a car.

That "remembering last week's puzzler" had been going on for a long time as part of their schtick.  Who knew it's turn out that way?   It may even have been Tom's plan to "use it in the act" as a way of staying on board.  Certainly no reason to criticize them.

Speaking of Tom, Tom :wink:, I don't mind the aging so much; I don't mourn the loss of youth.  As we get older we adapt and find new interests, "compensate" as you so rightly point out.  Grandkids are a huge part of that, new hobbies, a new-found wisdom, and hopefully the reassurance that "DAMN!  This ride was a BLAST!"