Looking at the Rogue Audio Sphinx/ Croft Integrated

tdogzthmn

Looking at the Rogue Audio Sphinx/ Croft Integrated
« on: 11 May 2016, 03:52 pm »
Hey All,

I know the amp is a Hybrid design but since the amplification section is Class D I felt I would ask in this forum...

I'm currently running a NAD D3020 which is also based off the Hypex UcD modules and feel this amp does a great job for its price and feature set.  However I'd like to explore some more powerful Hypex based integrated amps and it seems like the Rogue Sphinx would be a good step up. 

The other amp I own and enjoy is the Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3 which uses a 12at7 driver tube, not too dissimilar from the 12au7 found in the Sphinx.  My speakers are  8" fullrangers from Blumenstein Audio and rated at 92dB. 

The D3020 does a great job with my speakers but I feel the larger drivers would benefit from the added power and the high damping factor of the Sphinx.  There seems to be alot of positive reviews for the amp and I would imagine the newer v2 version is just as compelling.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: 12 May 2016, 10:14 pm by tdogzthmn »

Wind Chaser

Re: Looking at the Rogue Audio Sphinx
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2016, 05:27 pm »
If you crave more power, than the Rogue is a safe bet. I gave the Sphinx some consideration but chose to move in another direction.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2016, 05:38 pm »
A good friend had one for quite a while.  It ran out of steam driving my pair of Gr-Research Neo 2X speakers with 87dB/1W@1m in a medium size room, and not at really high volumes.  Didn't deliver as well as a pair of Dodd 6bq5 tube amps at 12-14 wpc.  As a matter of fact, my friend sold it and bought my little tube amps. 
And I like hybrids.  My main amp is a Moscode 401HR
Maybe it will be exactly what your looking for, but it didn't do much for me. 

maty

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2016, 05:48 pm »
Do not buy it.

Rated power (1% THD + N, 1 kHz) [W] 8 ohms, 2x 100
Rated power (1% THD + N, 1 kHz) [W] 4 ohm, 2x 194
Sensitivity (for maximum power), [V] 1x 1.0
Signal / noise ratio (A-weighted filter with respect to 1W) [dB] 70  :nono:  :nono:
The dynamics [dB] 90  :nono:  :nono:
The attenuation coefficient (for the 4 ohm) 72

tdogzthmn

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2016, 06:22 pm »
Do not buy it.

What is your quote referring to? 

maty

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2016, 06:28 pm »
They are measurements of Rogue Sphinx, very bad!

srb

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2016, 06:44 pm »

You could take that gem of wisdom and say do not buy any tube amplifier on the planet.  They are all very bad!

tdogzthmn

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2016, 06:45 pm »

Do you have direct experience with that amp or my NAD D3020?  My experience has told me that Specs. alone are never the full story for how a piece of gear will sound. 

tdogzthmn

« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2016, 06:48 pm »
And thanks to the other posters for their more descriptive responses.

maty

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2016, 06:51 pm »
You could take that gem of wisdom and say do not buy any tube amplifier on the planet.  They are all very bad!

Others 100% tube amplifiers have better S/N at 1W !!! Only 70 dB is very very very bad.

maty

« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2016, 06:55 pm »
I do not have experience with NAD D3020.

NAD D3020 Measures:
    Rated power (1% THD + N, 1 kHz) [W] 8 ohms, 2x 62
    Rated power (1% THD + N, 1 kHz) [W] 4 ohm, 2x 109
    Sensitivity (for maximum power), [V] 1x 0.47 [maty: acceptable]
    Signal / noise ratio (A-weighted filter with respect to 1W) [dB] 88
    The dynamics [dB] 106
    The attenuation coefficient (for the 4 ohm) 75

The ideal sensitivity for maximum power: 0.2 V.

NAD declared power output 2 x 30 W into 8 ohms. I do not know if I got some other amplifier, but "my" D3020 gave up 66 watts at 8 ohms and 132 watts at 4 ohms. Exactly twofold increase in two times lower impedance! With two channels simultaneously we have 2 x 62 and 2 x 109 W - still great. The sensitivity for the analog input is - lower than the standard - 0.47 V. surprising, especially in a pulsed, low-noise (S / N = 88 dB), the growth rate reaches 106 dB.

Limitations can be seen only in the passband (Figure 1), at 10 Hz is still excellent (-0.2 dB) above 10 kHz takes longer decline, but -3 dB point calculated for good 45 kHz. It is noteworthy that no anomaly in terms of the tweeter, which are usually gripe pulse amplifiers.

Slightly worse is the distortion spectrum (Fig. 2), the strongest harmonic is the third at -72 dB, and the second is a little lower, at -77 dB, -90 dB level before you see a fifth at -85 dB. Level THD + N less than 0.1% can be achieved only when the output power exceeding 5 W to 8 ohms and 7 to 4 ohms (Fig. 3), consolation we see softer than usual, the area distortion...

the strongest harmonic is the third at -72 dB, and the second is a little lower, at -77 dB in a $400 amplifier is acceptable.

dpatters

« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2016, 06:56 pm »
I have a friend that owns a Rogue Sphinx driving some Martin Logans. I thought the sound was quite good. I wasn't looking at specs when I was listening to the music.  Lots of good reviews out there and Rogue is a well respected company.

Don P.

maty

« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2016, 07:05 pm »
Yes, more good reviews...  :evil:

dpatters

« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2016, 07:08 pm »
Just offering my perspective. YMMV as always.

srb

« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2016, 07:11 pm »
I thought the sound was quite good. I wasn't looking at specs when I was listening to the music.

Well, you were obviously wrong.  The sound was (is) very very very bad.  Do you expect me to give any weight to your actual subjective evaluation versus a textbook specification numbers jockey who has never auditioned the product?  ;)

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2016, 07:17 pm »
Remember the Sphinx is a $1300 amp, if it sounds pretty good it's a bargain, and reports are it sounds very good, and not just for the money.  I too am looking at the amp as it would fit my needs perfectly, i.e. has a good headphone amp and phono amp built in.  My question is then since these are the two things that are improved in V2 is it that much better than the 1st model to preclude buying used.  I'm thinking yes, but what do you guys think?

maty

« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2016, 07:37 pm »
-> http://www.stereophile.com/content/rogue-audio-sphinx-integrated-amplifier-measurements

Vade retro

Even without taking into account its affordable price, Rogue Audio's Sphinx offers excellent measured performance with little sign of the usual compromises made in class-D designs. It also has an excellent, moving-magnet–compatible phono stage...

Someone needs to graduate glasses...

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2016, 07:38 pm »
Remember the Sphinx is a $1300 amp, if it sounds pretty good it's a bargain, and reports are it sounds very good, and not just for the money.  I too am looking at the amp as it would fit my needs perfectly, i.e. has a good headphone amp and phono amp built in.  My question is then since these are the two things that are improved in V2 is it that much better than the 1st model to preclude buying used.  I'm thinking yes, but what do you guys think?
I can't say which model my buddy had- early or late.  At more moderate volumes, my memory is that it sounded ok, pretty decent phono section, attractive unit. Don't think my friend found tube rolling very effective.  Price is right.  Not the most refined or musical amp out there, but not the most expensive either.  It probably boils down to how it interacts with your particular speakers. 

tdogzthmn

« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2016, 10:58 pm »
So...

I went to a local audio dealer that happened to have the Rogue Sphinx.  I was able to demo the amp with a pair of Harbeth 40 Monitors.  The amp threw a very impressive image with lots of punch and clarity.  The take-away was this amp is worth continued pursuit.  It's also a great reason that you should trust your ears always. Numbers are certainly indicative of some things, but in no way are the full picture, or mean that an individual will like or dislike a piece of gear.

I hope to try the amp in my own system in order to get a better picture.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2016, 11:45 pm »
I hope to try the amp in my own system in order to get a better picture.

Your dealer can help you out with that.  :thumb: