BDP-1 powered drive size limit

zied

BDP-1 powered drive size limit
« on: 7 May 2016, 08:34 am »
Hello,
I would like to buy a new powered external hard drive for my Bryston BDP-1. My previous readings on this forum suggest that BDP-1 has some issues reading large hard drives (larger than 2TB). However, there are very few powered hard disk models on the market with a capacity lower than 3TB. My question is the following: would a self-powered hard drive such the LaCie 302003EK Porsche Design Desktop Drive P'9230 (3TB capacity) work fine with my BDP-1?
Thanks

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
Re: BDP-1 powered drive size limit
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2016, 08:47 am »
I use two of these with my BDP-1: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0084LZI5Y and have never had any problems; they are 2Tb and still available to buy.

I would also add two things:

1. For various technical reasons I have found FAT32 to be the most reliable format (the file size limit being irrelevant for audio)

2. I've only ever use the USB slots on the *back* of the BDP-1

Ian

ttsto

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2016, 03:45 pm »
Hello,
I would like to buy a new powered external hard drive for my Bryston BDP-1. My previous readings on this forum suggest that BDP-1 has some issues reading large hard drives (larger than 2TB). However, there are very few powered hard disk models on the market with a capacity lower than 3TB. My question is the following: would a self-powered hard drive such the LaCie 302003EK Porsche Design Desktop Drive P'9230 (3TB capacity) work fine with my BDP-1?
Thanks
I had two x 3TB USB Seagate powered drives some years ago and after several upgrades of firmware it worked.  However I would recommend you to go a NAS route rather than USB drives. It provides far more flexibility in usage, for example you can quickly add files to your library over network
I use now a QNAP HS-251 with 2x3TB WD Red drives. It is very quiet as it has no fan and very fast as it has a Celeron CPU and gigabit internet

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2016, 04:40 pm »
I use a powered USB hub with 3 GTech 500-GB drives into it. No issues whatsoever with BDP-1.

zied

« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2016, 05:20 pm »
Thank you very much for your replies. I already have an Apple time capsule (3TB). Is it possible to use it as a NAS for BDP-1?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2016, 07:52 pm »
Thank you very much for your replies. I already have an Apple time capsule (3TB). Is it possible to use it as a NAS for BDP-1?

Should be, but we havn't tested one for some time

Marius

« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2016, 01:19 pm »
I've just added a dvd writer to my 3 passports (2TB) to my BDP1.
Don't want the 3,5 drives, since they tend to make more spinning noise than their 2,5 counterparts. Most of the 3,5's use their own power adapter , which possibly introduces electric noise we don't need. Bus powered 2,5 drives obviously live form the BDP which is optimal.

Although i didn't have problems with the 3 drives, powered from the BDP1 on itself, I've now also tested a usb powered hub for the dvd writer. All drives are attached to it, and they've never been faster. Effortless and flawless.

All i can say is: no worries, buy the USB hub, add all to it and enjoy. Ive even added a 4th drive, but havent really tested it yet, thought the first impressions seem fine.

As an extra point of care, Chris pointed out you should also powerdown the hub when powering down the BDP. Ive got them on the same power switch, so thats taken care of automatically.

Library size is an entirely different aspect though, given the BDP1's limited memory and processing power compared to the BDP2. The BDP1 does it all, and takes more time when the library grows. But, the Bryston DB should be turned off, album art won't work without issues with larger libraries (30-60Kplus), or not at all, confusing the BDP/MM to the point of not working at all ....

Cheers,
Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2016, 03:01 pm »
I've never powered down my USB hub when downing the BDP-1. They are on separate power distributors. Not sure why Chris recommends downing the hub, if indeed he had.   :scratch:

Marius

« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2016, 03:11 pm »
check what Chris said in the other thread:

The software was designed to just have one drive attached at a time, perhaps you should try turning the BDP off, only plug in one optical drive and use it with just that one drive.  Also your USB hub might keep the BDP-1's system board running, so when you turn the BDP off make sure to unplug the USB hub as well.Cover art can be added from the menu on the left in the cd backup utility.Cheers,Chris

I've never powered down my USB hub when downing the BDP-1. They are on separate power distributors. Not sure why Chris recommends downing the hub, if indeed he had.   :scratch:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 8 May 2016, 07:13 pm »
I leave both on continuously. No harm done.

zied

« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2016, 02:29 pm »
Thank you very much for your replies.
I have received my new LaCie 302003EK Porsche Design Desktop Drive P'9230 (3TB capacity) this morning. I have just copied my music (FLAC, 600 GB) in it. So far, my BDP-1 has absolutely no problems reading music on the new 3TB hard disk. It works perfectly. I have also ordered a USB Hub. I will connect other hard drives to it as soon as I receive it.
Finally, I have tried to use my Apple time capsule as NAS with my BDP-1, but without success.
Marius, could you please tell me what is the advantage of connecting a dvd writer to your BDP1?

Marius

« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2016, 02:51 pm »

Finally, I have tried to use my Apple time capsule as NAS with my BDP-1, but without success.
Marius, could you please tell me what is the advantage of connecting a dvd writer to your BDP1?

HI,

The reason i tried the dvd writer, is because i wanted to test the BOT functionality in MM, without buying one ;)
Your mileage may vary, but if you read the Bot thread, you'll read what others have found.

As i write, im filling my new 3tb WD Passport, and when ready tomorrow.... ill hook it up to the USB hub. fingers crossed!

about your Time Capsule: you should be able to add it in the Nas setup, given the correct credentials. The reason i didn't do it, and turned to my Nas, is that is is very easy to authorize the BDP, with its own user account (not the admin account!) to read a certain (set of) folders on the NAS, with dedicated permissions, while on the Apple TM, i don't even know if you can. Also, i didn't want to mix my time machine backups, with heavily used music files. Just a matter of precaution i took. Separate your risks;-)

Cheers, and happy experimenting,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2016, 10:03 am »

Personally speaking, I would steal clear of using a Time Capsule as a NAS drive. They are not equipped with highly reliable drives, designed to spin 24/7, and are EXTREMELY aggressive in spinning down the drive when it thinks it's idle.

I've run into problems with file access after spin down (e.g. large Time Machine backups) and I would expect to experience hiccups in playback, when streaming from a TC to a BDP. As always, YMMV.

Marius

« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2016, 04:18 pm »
HI,
I can now testify that with a powered hub, my BDP1 is playing music from a 3Tb WD passport ultra, along with 2 2Tb WD passports. And 2 usb thumbs, and a dvd drive  .. ;)

the 3Tb does make a bit more spinning noise, so careful positioning is in order.

Cheers,
Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2016, 04:28 pm »
I have had a bad experience a long time ago, with a WD Passport drive. It failed. Did not lose much, but I am sensitized now, and use LaCie and G-Drive units. No problems into powered hub.

Why not consolidate all your Passport drives there into one or two powered 3-4TB Porsche Design desktop drives? Then backup everything once....in case.....  :rules: :tempted:

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2016, 06:34 am »
HI,
I can now testify that with a powered hub, my BDP1 is playing music from a 3Tb WD passport ultra, along with 2 2Tb WD passports. And 2 usb thumbs, and a dvd drive  .. ;)

the 3Tb does make a bit more spinning noise, so careful positioning is in order.

Cheers,
Marius
We owned 4 WD Passport drives, all 4 died within 2 years... 3 of them were plugged in and never touched again, so "rough handling" definitely was not the problem for those 3.
Be safe and buy a NAS with at least 2 drives designed for a NAS. Yes, the good ones are expensive, but like with audio gear: for quality you pay.

Marius

« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2016, 06:38 am »
HI CM,

I have all my files backed on my NAS.
I have never experienced a failure on my Passports, and started using them because James Tanner recommended these drives.

One of my smaller WD My Passports does make the squeaking noise, apparently indicating little power to spin them up. Had to put it upright. I've replaced it with the 3Tb Ultra now.

The reason i like multiple drives is risk management. If one failed, not all files are lost, and backup is easier.
I had a Lacie 500gb drive once in a nice aluminum casing, looking great, but it was expensive, power-hungry, noisy, and rather unreliable.

Since using the WD's i really never had reason to change, especially since i have my drives stashed away out of sight and out of hearing.

Thanks anyway, appreciated!
Marius

I have had a bad experience a long time ago, with a WD Passport drive. It failed. Did not lose much, but I am sensitized now, and use LaCie and G-Drive units. No problems into powered hub.

Why not consolidate all your Passport drives there into one or two powered 3-4TB Porsche Design desktop drives? Then backup everything once....in case.....  :rules: :tempted:

zied

« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2016, 06:45 am »
I have received my USB hub (a D-Link DUB-H7 Hub 7 ports). I then compared 2 different configurations with my BDP-1:
First configuration, a 2.5 Sony hard disk (1TB) connected to the D-Link Hub connected to the BDP-1
Second configuration, Lacie Porsche design desktop drive (3TB) connected to the BDP-1 (no hub).

After several tests, It is clear that the second configuration provides by far the best performance in my system (BDP-1; BDA-2; BP26; 4BSST2; PMC IB2).

Marius

« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2016, 08:20 am »

First configuration, a 2.5 Sony hard disk (1TB) connected to the D-Link Hub connected to the BDP-1

There are many factors that influence the results. Quality and specs of the drives and hub used, size of library, etc etc.

Why would you attach the 1 Tb drive to the hub?

zied

« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2016, 08:36 am »
The BDP-1 does not read the Sony 2.5 hard disk (1TB) when it is attached directly. It works only with the hub.