BDP-1 powered drive size limit

zied

Re: BDP-1 powered drive size limit
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2016, 08:37 am »
My sony hard drive is the Sony HD-E1S 2.5 " 1000 Go USB.

Marius

« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2016, 08:42 am »
The BDP-1 does not read the Sony 2.5 hard disk (1TB) when it is attached directly. It works only with the hub.

That might very well be the reason for it to perform less than optimal. a 1 Tb drive needing a hub is unexpected.
I've had 2 2tb and 1 tb together work fine on their own on the BDP1. Working much better though with the Hub. Even so with the 2tb's and the 3tb now. And a dvd Writer. And 2 thumbs.

Advantage i could see of a hub over a powered drive is that the wall wart power transformer goes into the hub, and not into the drives attached to the bdp1. Seems an extra safeguard against dirty power?

Well as always, YMMV, and great to hear your enjoying the LAcies.

Cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 15 May 2016, 11:32 am by Marius »

srb

« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2016, 11:01 am »
The BDP-1 does not read the Sony 2.5 hard disk (1TB) when it is attached directly. It works only with the hub.

It sounds like a power issue.

The Sony HD-E1 has a max power consumption of 4.5W which means it could take 900mA of current to spin up and initialize, more than the 500mA current supplied by the BDP-1 USB 2.0 port.

Although you don't likely have the second rear port unused and available, I would expect that it might work with a USB Y-cable (2nd USB plug wired for power only) and would not be at all surprised that it would continue to work if the 2nd plug was then disconnected - of course it would need the additional power again on the next power cycle.

There is not always a correlation between drive size and power requirements, and newer larger drives often have lower power requirements than older smaller drives.  The Sony HD-E1 is primarily designed as a USB 3.0 drive (and USB 3.0 ports meet the 5V / 900mA / 4.5W requirements), but it does have a fallback USB 2.0 connection and should therefore have the capability to be bus powered by a standard USB 2.0 port.

I see this as a design flaw of this particular drive rather than a problem with the standard USB 2.0 / 500mA ports of the BDP-1, and wouldn't be surprised if the drive has problems with a number of other USB 2.0 computers and devices.

Steve

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2016, 02:09 pm »
HI CM,

I have all my files backed on my NAS.
I have never experienced a failure on my Passports, and started using them because James Tanner recommended these drives.

One of my smaller WD My Passports does make the squeaking noise, apparently indicating little power to spin them up. Had to put it upright. I've replaced it with the 3Tb Ultra now.

The reason i like multiple drives is risk management. If one failed, not all files are lost, and backup is easier.
I had a Lacie 500gb drive once in a nice aluminum casing, looking great, but it was expensive, power-hungry, noisy, and rather unreliable.

Since using the WD's i really never had reason to change, especially since i have my drives stashed away out of sight and out of hearing.

Thanks anyway, appreciated!
Marius

Hi Marius,

That's good news. I'm beginning to think it's hit and miss with these units. Some work for a long time, others konk out after just a few spins. My LaCie units are quiet like a mouse......

Cheers

Marius

« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2016, 02:51 pm »
Hi Marius,

That's good news. I'm beginning to think it's hit and miss with these units. Some work for a long time, others konk out after just a few spins. My LaCie units are quiet like a mouse......

Cheers

Hi CM

Which one is that? Do you have a link please? I'm trying to search the dutch website for power specs (bus or self-powered, V & Amps, but find none...

Might be tempted ;-)