Carver Amazing Silvers

rajacat

• Washington State
Carver Amazing Silvers
« on: 6 May 2016, 09:01 pm »
A pair of these have come up for sale locally. What would be a fair price? They look and are supposed to be new. The inspection stickers are still attached and they're in the original boxes.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Carver Amazing Silvers
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2016, 09:33 pm »
I sent out a Help! call to a couple of the Carver guys so they may chime in.
Funny with the timing as, one of them wrote me the other day and was telling me how great they sound with some restored Carver SS monoblocks in his room.
If you pop a ribbon you may be in for some difficulty but you'd really need to talk to an Amazing aficionado to get the definitive answer on that one.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2016, 09:49 pm »
If you pop a ribbon you may be in for some difficulty but you'd really need to talk to an Amazing aficionado to get the definitive answer on that one.
Even having a Amazing Silver Ed stored in my bedroom I dont know the current price, however there is 2 ribbon repairs shops:
Carveraudiorepair.com and a gentleman named Dave Sauter.

audio.bill

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2016, 10:16 pm »
According to a used price guide they retailed for either $2,000 or $2,400 new, and used they are currently worth from $385 to $570 per pair.

Mike B.

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2016, 11:19 pm »
I think I still have a 12 foot roll of Carver ribbon material. Kapton film with two bands of foil.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2016, 11:58 pm »
They want $800 which I suppose is a reasonably good deal since they're new. I've always been interested in planars and since these are local my interest was piqued. Superficially, they look similar to Apogees but I get the impression, from further reading,  that they're not in that league. Also they are not manufactured anymore so repairs and parts would be a hassle. Oh well... I like my current speakers. I should be satisfied with what I have. They're quite good. :)  A completely different animal from planars.
« Last Edit: 7 May 2016, 04:43 am by rajacat »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2016, 12:02 am »
Be aware the Silvers are 48'' & 3 woffers not the Platinum 60'' and 4 woffers.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2016, 12:07 am »
Perhaps poke around a bit and see if a set of Magnepan 1.6s don't pop up in around the same price range.
If you don't like them you could always sell them easily enough for the same price and parts and service isn't an issue.

PMAT

« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2016, 01:00 pm »
Hi guys, I paid $600 for my Silvers. I would pay way more if I had to. I cannot see the original ad from the op on my iPad. I've worked in audio and I've played hard in the audio world for 40 years and I can't think of a better speaker for someone on a budget willing to buy used. The silvers are a great size because the original Carver Amazings are too big for most rooms. Like all dipoles they need room to breathe as well. For those of you who don't really know about the speakers these are two ways with a 4 foot ribbon handling from about 150 Hz up and 3 12inch drivers for bass duty. If any are you near San Francisco this summer look me up. I'd be happy to spin some music for an audio lover vacationing out here or living out here. These 48 inch drivers are much easier to find than the 60 inch version. The Woofers are still available and materials exist to rebuild them. Set up is very specific as well.

PMAT

« Reply #9 on: 8 May 2016, 01:03 pm »
Double post.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2016, 01:43 pm »
For some reason the pictures are not showing in the first post.   :scratch:

PMAT

« Reply #11 on: 8 May 2016, 03:35 pm »
One of the great things about the speakers is that they have bass radiating from front and back of 6 12inch drivers. The top Driver is 4 feet off the ground so there is a swarm bass effect of 12 drivers which loads the room really well. Some people say open baffles don't have enough slam but I beg to differ. One thing you don't hear about or read about much is that these ribbons produce the crucial mid range really well. With proper set up and sufficient power the speakers will impress

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 8 May 2016, 07:16 pm »

I always smile when I Google a speaker, and it returns a result showing Lonewolf holding a beer!

PMAT

« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2016, 07:46 pm »
That's awesome.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 8 May 2016, 08:26 pm »
Best soundstage I listen so far, too much missing it((

PMAT

« Reply #15 on: 8 May 2016, 10:32 pm »
Even having a Amazing Silver Ed stored in my bedroom I dont know the current price, however there is 2 ribbon repairs shops:
Carveraudiorepair.com and a gentleman named Dave Sauter.
Update here Gustavo my friend. Neither place is currently repairing ribbons.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 8 May 2016, 10:52 pm »
Update here Gustavo my friend. Neither place is currently repairing ribbons.
Too bad, last time I see price was about $600/pair w/Sauter.

PMAT

« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2016, 05:05 pm »
I think I still have a 12 foot roll of Carver ribbon material. Kapton film with two bands of foil.
After reading this I contacted Mike and he offered to sell me his Kapton and send me photos. I said I'd pay whatever he wanted and pay for shipping. It's unobtanium after all. He asked me to pay the exact same thing he did years ago even though some material was missing and I said no problem. I still thought it was a good deal. I was in the hospital and said I'd pay the next day by PayPal. The next day he gave me 24 hours because another member here now wanted it. (Really? What about our agreement?) Weird, but ok, so I responded way before 24 hours, in fact it was 11 hours early. He sold it to dangerbird anyway. Think twice about doing business with this gentleman. Apparently his word is no good.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2016, 07:25 pm by PMAT »

cab

« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2016, 08:50 pm »
Always amazes me how cheaply some people value their integrity.

Mike B.

« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2016, 09:00 pm »
After reading this I contacted Mike and he offered to sell me his Kapton and send me photos. I said I'd pay whatever he wanted and pay for shipping. It's unobtanium after all. He asked me to pay the exact same thing he did years ago even though some material was missing and I said no problem. I still thought it was a good deal. I was in the hospital and said I'd pay the next day by PayPal. The next day he gave me 24 hours because another member here now wanted it. (Really? What about our agreement?) Weird, but ok, so I responded way before 24 hours, in fact it was 11 hours early. He sold it to dangerbird anyway. Think twice about doing business with this gentleman. Apparently his word is no good.

That is incorrect. I had two people contact me Sunday to buy the film. I told this guy the details of the deal and he said he would take it. I told the second person I had offered it to the PMAT. I would give PMAT 24 hours to complete the deal. I would then offer it to the number two guy. I didn't get payment from  PMAT and last night at 8pm offered it to guy number 2 who paid "promptly".  Just a suggestion. When you consummate a deal, pay for it then and there.