giving Yaqin a try

restrav

Re: giving Yaqin a try
« Reply #100 on: 8 May 2016, 01:40 am »
" i buy im stuck with it for a number of years :D "

You are going to enjoy it!

My Yaqin has been trouble free but the MP should serve you well.
Keep us informed!

thanks man. i have a good feeling about it

restrav

« Reply #101 on: 8 May 2016, 01:42 am »
Pull them out a minimum of 4', not 1', if possible.  If you listen to music recorded on location- classical music and "live" recordings, you'll appreciate what I'm sayin.  It'll change yer listening life, bro.

Will do.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #102 on: 9 May 2016, 06:03 pm »
Kindly report back to we interested parties. 

restrav

« Reply #103 on: 17 May 2016, 11:01 pm »
It arrived yesterday morning and has been playing music for 25 hours now. after just 2 hours I sat for a listen and it is already producing the best sound I have ever been able to achieve.

This thing is monumentally huge and heavy. I was not expecting it to be this big. 100% quiet. so hum or noise whatsoever. I guess it could be different with very efficient speakers but with mine it is dead quiet which makes that fan be heard all the time. it is really annoying. I inspected it and it is hard wired into the AC input so i couldnt easily disable it.

I spotted all the high quality parts that they claim to have used and I am particularly impressed by the alps volume pot. The caps used are unknown to me.

with KT88 it preforms perfectly for my listening levels. I bypass the volume on my DAC and feed the signal to this amp directly. in this configuration the volume on the amp is on 12 at normal listening levels and at 5 it is too loud. with my most dynamic progressive rock tracks it is being pushed to the limits so i cant wait to try the KT150s.

now the speakers are 4 feet from the rear walls and the two speakers are 6.5 feet apart. specially on live well recorded tracks the midrange is particualry beautiful. Last night I watched the daily show through them with my wife and she pointed out that voices have never sounded this unobtrusive and beautiful ever. she really likes to watch movies through them lol.

I think its a keeper. im gonna audition the new Nuprime class D with Magnaplans 1.7s in the coming month just because im curious but I doubt i will want to change.

restrav

« Reply #104 on: 17 May 2016, 11:08 pm »
My search for a DAC is not over yet. i wont keep the LKS DA003 even though it is sometimes phenomenal, it is not what i want. With all the bells and whistles that its USB input has, the sound in consistently better through SPDIF optical output fonboard on my 100 bucks motherboard in my PC. I am dumbfounded. I dont know what is up with that.

Im thinking of trying Gustard X20u but dont have the funds now so i invite suggestions for a 200-300 bucks DAC for the time being.

the only other missing link right now is a pair of speaker cables. right now im using AudioQuest Bare wire and the severe oxidation on the exposed bare wire at the terminals are really bugging me, im still looking for a pair under 100 bucks or make DIY for myself.

Im also making a DIY power cable with fake Chinese Oyaide plugs  that i bought because someone told me that they are indeed quality made. 

and DH labs AC cable

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #105 on: 17 May 2016, 11:13 pm »
It arrived yesterday morning and has been playing music for 25 hours now.
Some tube amps dont even can not stand one 8-hour music session, there is a topic about a brand of this type a few months ago you can seach for details.
This you do is quite dangerous. Any way congratulations for the robust amp.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #106 on: 18 May 2016, 12:12 am »
1.7s and tubes are a magic combination.

With tube amps, don't leave them running unattended.  Even the best of them can have their adrenaline producing moments and no sense in tempting fate.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #107 on: 18 May 2016, 12:47 am »
"With tube amps, don't leave them running unattended."

+1

I'm currently using a Music Hall tube dac. USB, Toslinck(optical) coax inputs and rca, balanced output.

restrav

« Reply #108 on: 18 May 2016, 03:05 am »
thanks for the heads up. i was at work i drove back home and turned it off.

since you guys have a lot of experience with tubes, would this an ok buy?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161692810552?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #109 on: 18 May 2016, 03:10 am »
My 2 cents are: if you has the KT88(finesse) and KT150(muscle and bass) the KT90 and 120 are useless.

restrav

« Reply #110 on: 18 May 2016, 03:13 am »
My 2 cents are: if you has the KT88(finesse) and KT150(muscle and bass) the KT90 and 120 are useless.

no the KT150 order was cancelled. i had a disagreement with the seller and asked them to refund my money. so now i just have the KT88 that came with the amp.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #112 on: 18 May 2016, 03:27 am »
This thing is monumentally huge and heavy. I was not expecting it to be this big. 100% quiet. so hum or noise whatsoever. I guess it could be different with very efficient speakers but with mine it is dead quiet which makes that fan be heard all the time. it is really annoying......

Too bad about the fan, I wondered why Gary had closed the tubes in a box.
I'm glad your happy with the performance otherwise.
My 401 MKI is dead quiet as well, my speakers are all about 97db sensitivity.

Enjoy!

Perry

restrav

« Reply #113 on: 19 May 2016, 01:52 pm »
Oh I just relized that the Caps are supposedly Obbligato, I hear so much about them, but this is the first time i've had them in my stereo :)

and guys still trying to decided between KT120 and 150. do they sound different?

restrav

« Reply #114 on: 19 May 2016, 01:53 pm »
The cables that Musical Paradise sells are looking good to me:

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=65&product_id=59

isitu

« Reply #115 on: 22 May 2016, 01:56 am »
Chiming in here for the yaqin 10t(110v)U.S.version

its quite good for el34. Using descent mid grade tubes it sounds great.

After 3 years of use and running bias a bit high(approximately 3.4) it burned some caps up. Apparently effecting the number 4 socket...making it run extremely hot(about 9-10v) so now it sits waiting for some work. Its all in pieces now and near ready for new caps. Maybe I can find a tech that can do the job at a good rate in the n/e Indiana area. Just love the sound of this thing on klipsch chorus 2's.

cheers all,
isitu