giving Yaqin a try

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: giving Yaqin a try
« Reply #20 on: 24 Apr 2016, 08:52 pm »
thank you for the information. I am not sure if this model 13S is only ultra linear or can it be switched to triode? that is my main concern and the reason i was thinking about the older model. i dont mind if it has the UL mode but i do want to have the option of triode operation and that is how i plan to use it. on amazon it does not say anything about triode operation.
1 EL34=7W in Triode.
2 EL34=15W in Triode.
In Triode you will need a +96dB speaker.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 24 Apr 2016, 09:51 pm »
Dadbeh,
Any reason on the Yaqin brand?
To keep it Chinese look this oldfashioned manufacturer below, usually they use hard copper wiring, they have various integrated amps:
http://www.mei-xing.com/english/English/Products1.html

They even have a SET amp w/the KT90 point to point wiring and tube rectification:
http://www.mei-xing.com/english/English/cp/1_368-B%20902.html

The price seems about $600:
http://www.china-hifi-audio.com/en/meixing-mingda-amplifier-c-17/mingda-mc368-b902-kt90-tube-integrated-amp-single-ended-class-a-p-390

restrav

« Reply #23 on: 24 Apr 2016, 10:06 pm »
other than some positive reviews i have no reason to insist on yaqin.

this seems to be getting very good reviews also:
http://www.china-hifi-audio.com/en/bewitch-vacuum-tube-amplifier-c-29/bewitch-6550-russia-tube-hi-fi-integrated-amplifier-kt88-p-186

im just not sure abour paying 200 bucks for shipping and buying from china with dubious support. i mean if it come broken im sure sending it back would be out of question. so i just wanted to try and buy from amazon for the support and returns

restrav

maty

« Reply #25 on: 25 Apr 2016, 06:51 am »
...as for the power output, both amps are push pull but the EL84 ones puts out 12 watts. I demoed an amp with 15 watts output which was plenty loud so i think it would be fine really even though my speakers are rated at 86db.

With 86 dB is a bad idea a tube amplifier without the expensive KT120 or KT150 tubes. Better an hybrid or a SS with even harmonics.

maty

« Reply #26 on: 25 Apr 2016, 07:34 am »
-> http://www.doctorproaudio.com/doctor/calculadores_en.htm#calc_spl

86 dB
25 W
random phase

2m => 97 dB  OK

3m => 93.4 dB Bad idea

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #28 on: 25 Apr 2016, 10:28 am »
I have a Yaqin MS20L I purchased from tabnaac on ebay in 2010. This is a push/pull amp with a claimed output of 50w, 25 in triode mode using EL34's.

The Yaqin has powered Klipsch, Magnepan and Focal speakers that I have. Way more power than the Klipsch needed. Did an admirable job powering the Maggies and a damn good job powering the Focals.

Only problem I have had with it, after 3 years the volume pot became intermittent. Sent Song (tabnaac) an email on a Sunday evening. He replied within 30 minutes..... Had a new pot on the way the next day, he also sent a link for a video showing how to replace it. Customer service like that is hard to beat.

While replacing the pot I looked over the wiring and build quality. All solder joints were bright. Wires were neatly run, caps and resistors were installed with some obvious care. All components installed with information placed to make identification easy to read. All the things one would expect from quality electronics.

This amp has proven to myself and many others that the Chinese can build a good product. I have more than 4 thousand hours on the Yaqin. Responds well to tube rolling. Easy to bias too.

I took this out of my setup just a few weeks ago to try some Dynaco mkIII's, I have been wanting to try mono blocks. Not hearing much difference aside from more power than the Yaqin but the MK III's are just getting run in.

No doubt there is some snobbery that goes on when it comes to Chinese hi-fi (and Dynaco) but that should not stop anyone from giving it a fair shake. Listen to it yourself. All the specs being thrown around do not tell the whole story.

tube-vds

« Reply #29 on: 25 Apr 2016, 10:49 am »
i had the mc-13s for about 6 months and i can highly recommend it.

you will hardly find a better sounding amp for this $$$.

try the amp with the shipping tubes - these chinese tubes are much better than their reputation.

Factorz

« Reply #30 on: 25 Apr 2016, 01:02 pm »
I owned a MS-30L that I purchased from a seller in IL who now sells under the Silk Audio brand. Really enjoyed my time with it and felt it did a good job driving my Vapor's. My unit did develop a little hum issue which the seller was very responsive too, and ended up just exchanging my unit for me. Had I not gone to separates I would have no issue owning their brand Yaqin or Silk again.

restrav

« Reply #31 on: 25 Apr 2016, 03:08 pm »
I just had a correspondence with the canadian seller tabnaac on ebay.
13S only works in Ultra linear mode so i dont want it

he sells MS-30L for $600 with $100 shipping to US. it can be switched between UT and triode modes.
I also asked him abouot the possibility of doing a bit of DIY moding  to replace the volume pot with something like this:
http://www.khozmo.com/products_dale_shunt.html

unfortunately this model uses a motorized volume pot which apparently makes the modding too complicated.

Bob2

« Reply #32 on: 25 Apr 2016, 03:58 pm »

"unfortunately this model uses a motorized volume pot which apparently makes the modding too complicated. "

The only issue I can see is that attenuator probably won't fit within the confines of the chassis. Use it outboard.

As for the Ultra liner only, I found triode not much if any improvement. YMMV..

mick wolfe

« Reply #33 on: 25 Apr 2016, 04:33 pm »
"unfortunately this model uses a motorized volume pot which apparently makes the modding too complicated. "

The only issue I can see is that attenuator probably won't fit within the confines of the chassis. Use it outboard.

That pretty much sums my experience with UL/triode switchable amps. Always found UL to be the preferred mode of operation....for me anyway. Not having a triode switchable feature in a well designed P/P UL amp shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Bob2

« Reply #34 on: 25 Apr 2016, 04:53 pm »
If you are on the fence about the Yaqin take a look at the Dynakit amps. http://www.tubes4hifi.com/home.html

Build it yourself or have it built or buy used. If I can build them anyone can! They offer a triode mod if you really want that.
Might want to re-evaluate the budget though...............

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 25 Apr 2016, 05:33 pm »

The motorized pot need a electric supply to run the motor that the Yaqin dont have. Triode operation worth to listen when the speaker are a direct from the amp fullrange driver, Pentode and UL are more suited to two way speakers w/xover.

restrav

« Reply #36 on: 25 Apr 2016, 06:46 pm »
my speaker is has one fall range 4" driver with no cross over in the signal path, straight to the amp
it also has a tweeter in the rear of the speaker to completent high frequencies with a resistor and one cap there before the tweeter as the high pass filter.
i guess commercially it would be called 1.5 way. that is the reason i assumed triode mode with work fine. most of my listening iss done with low volume.

restrav

« Reply #37 on: 25 Apr 2016, 06:52 pm »
If you are on the fence about the Yaqin take a look at the Dynakit amps. http://www.tubes4hifi.com/home.html

Build it yourself or have it built or buy used. If I can build them anyone can! They offer a triode mod if you really want that.
Might want to re-evaluate the budget though...............

they are beautiful. it is bit above me budget though. with the DAC that i just bouoght today. i wont be able to afford it. i do have a seldoering station and some 5% silver solder wire but onestly i dont trust myself completing that project just yet. im building a Pass F6 soon as my first real DIY project. i already have most components, the tranny and the boards but this looks more complicated to me.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 25 Apr 2016, 08:19 pm »
I would ask what is your speaker? :green:

restrav

« Reply #39 on: 25 Apr 2016, 08:24 pm »
I would ask what is your speaker? :green: