Seeking CD/SACD player (or transport?) upgrade help/suggestions/opinions

4thChoice

• audiophile in training
not sure where to post this, pls move if necessary  :D

Sorry for seemingly repeating a common topic and for the length of this post (figure more info I can provide you the more useful feedback I can get).  The other threads only gave me more questions not answers and added to my uncertainty/confusion (ever been there?), so posting this.  Did a search and read a lot of threads (both here and other sites), some useful, some not.  (Warning - am also posting this on other forums)
Anyhow, on to my request.  Looking to upgrade my CDP. NUMBER ONE PRIORITY IS 2CH SOUND QUALITY.  Would also really like SACD capability (2CH & 5.1).  Will be used in a HT setup, but I am at least 80/20 music over movies and have no problem keeping my Sony blu-ray player for movies.  Not against a universal player but lean towards a dedicated CD/SACD player.  Am open to considering 2 players – one for 2CH audio now and down the road a (used?) player that will handle 5.1 SACD (over HDMI tho’ so probably a universal).
New tt cartridge coming soon - LPs and redbook CDs primary sources.  Don't have balanced or analog 5.1 inputs on my AVR nor a DAC (presently) and minimal interest in UHD blu-ray or streaming.  Open to used/refurbished but will NOT use eBay (past problems).  Budget wise - cheaper (dollar wise) the better, no set amount, but $2000 or less would be preferred, possibly more if an exceptional deal pops up and then may dip into the cartridge and/or room treatment budget for help.  Present leading candidates include OPPO (stock or remote possibility of a 103D and a DAC or modded 105D), Cambridge Audio (752 & CXU) and Marantz (8005 or used 11S1,2,3 or ?).  What are your thoughts?       Thanx for your input.

Phil A

There's a thread below which may have some useful info:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139435.0

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
My experience with spinners is that the mechanicals are poorly made and prone to failure long before other components.  So why not rip to a hard drive?

And with the speed at which DAC technology keeps advancing I wouldn't invest in a high-end CD/SACD player.  If you must spin, buy a separate DAC.

Furthermore with the advances in subscription streaming services (like Tidal for $20/month) why would anyone invest in physical media route anyway?

On top of all this, higher resolution digital formats are available online to provide a solid upgrade path.

seikosha

The reason I prefer physical media over Tidal is that I could subscribe to Tidal for a couple of years, sink over 400 bucks into it and if they go under (supposedly they do not make any money) I'm left with nothing.  If I put that money into physical media, I've got it forever.

Phil A

Everyone's preferences are different.  I have a bunch of Oppo players (including two 103Ds).  I use one for only video in the main system (have a music server with many files).  In a back-up system, I have one with a hard drive attached.  That back-up system gets used most of the time for HT, but several times a year it may see some file play back and perhaps once or twice disc playment. As noted, spinners will eventually wear out (so I would avoid something real expensive unless you have that much in disposable funds.  If you back-up files (I keep 3 copies) on hard drives, they can last a long time.  I have too much music (have CDs since the first week they were available) to be interested in any streaming service where I have to pay money.  I'd just as soon buy hi-rez downloads and discs and rip them and have them.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Both of my CD players are @ 15 years old with IMO just as good as or better dacs than anything out their at the price point for redbook. How long do you want "spinners" to last?

Sorry not much for the OP since I use CDs only, but I think the Marantz players sound good.

mfsoa

I've been using a Marantz SA8005 as my spinner and dac (mostly dac) for a few years now.  I like it very much. It's very versatile with many digital inputs. I currently have a Raspberry Pi being used as an HQPlayer NAA going into the USB input and expect to get a 2nd Pi to run piCorePlayer via spdif to interface w/ my Logitech Media Server home environment for Tidal and internet radio.

I can do 24/192 into it via coax (obviously) but also by toslink flawlessly, and have no probs w/ 2x DSD via usb

Price-wise it helped me that my brother is a Marantz dealer, so if you have any questions about that feel free to PM me (wink wink nudge nudge)

No multi-channel tho which is fine for me in my install.

-Mike

4thChoice

• audiophile in training
Thx for the input all

Mike - PM sent

dex67

went through similar search about a month ago...wanted to upgrade my densen 400xs cd player to an unit that can play SACD's too....found a brand new marantz SA-15S2 on ebay for $1000 and I couldn't be happier about my purchase...i'm using it as a dedicated CD/SACD unit...i also got a Sony HAP-S1 music player for high res files...so both units for less than $2k...good luck with your search!

jpm

Oppo players benefit from strong resale value based on their long standing reputation.

The main considerations  between models come down to: Use for video? If yes, the Darbee option is worth considering.

Use as transport only? If yes, go for the 103.

Need 5 channel analogue outputs? If yes, the 105 is your beastie

If you're interested in adding the Gen 4 Apple TV to your system, the Oppo 105's HDMI input can enable you to use the Oppo DAC bypassing the Apple DAC or your HT reciever. To the best of my knowledge, it's the only option for that currently.

If keeping cost to a minimum is an objective, the 103 comes up from time to time refurbished from Oppo directly.

Good luck!