BDP pi

Rocket

Re: BDP pi
« Reply #160 on: 29 Apr 2016, 09:45 am »
Hi Norton,

I think its a different product and I think James has mentioned that the BDP-2 is superior to the PI.  I don't know why the retail price in the UK is so high.  The Aussie dollar is a bit weak these days compared to the USD, Euro and UK Pound.  It costs only $300AUD more for a BDP-2 compared to the price in the US.

May'be our dealers are more competitive in Australia than the UK.

Regards Rod

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #161 on: 29 Apr 2016, 09:49 am »
Maybe I'm the only one, but does this not slightly undermine things for us existing BDP owners?. The BDPs are expensive*  pieces of kit, but from reading this thread, it looks to all intents and purposes that a much cheaper player from Bryston will all but equal the performance of my BDP-2 that I bought just 18 months ago.  I wonder how many people will/ would have bought a BDP given the option of the Pi and what resale values of BDPs will be?

I know this is par for the course for commodity electronics, but Bryston is a company that built its reputation on product longevity.

*As an aside, I've never understood why Bryston kit is so expensive here in the UK, actually significantly more in £ then $ and  by my calculation much cheaper to buy a BDP in Canada and pay the shipping, vat and import duty to UK.

Hi Norton

The BDP2 is still a much faster processor than the Pi and you can install an Internal Drive which you can not in the Pi. Also the Pi does not have AES balanced out or BNC out capability. The faster the processor the more capable it is at handling large libraries and 3rd party programs like Tidel etc.

That being said the computer boards available are changing as we move along and it is getting easier to produce good performing products at lower prices but I think that is the nature of this segment of the computer audio business. The BDP products will continue to be developed with a cost no object approach whereas the Pi will be approached as a start point for those getting into computer audio.

As for prices in the UK I understand they are much higher than Canada but the distributor determines the prices in each specific market so we do not have any control over that.

james

Norton

« Reply #162 on: 29 Apr 2016, 11:26 am »
Thankyou James

That's some reassurance - I'd feel even more so if you tell me that the PI won't sound as good as the BDP...

On pricing,  with current $CDN to £ sterling and adding shipping, VAT and import duty I reckon I could save around £700 on the current UK price by buying at full retail from a Canadian  dealer and shipping to UK.  That's a big difference and maybe pushes Bryston products into a different price bracket vs the competition here.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #163 on: 29 Apr 2016, 11:57 am »
Thankyou James

That's some reassurance - I'd feel even more so if you tell me that the PI won't sound as good as the BDP...

On pricing,  with current $CDN to £ sterling and adding shipping, VAT and import duty I reckon I could save around £700 on the current UK price by buying at full retail from a Canadian  dealer and shipping to UK.  That's a big difference and maybe pushes Bryston products into a different price bracket vs the competition here.

Hi

I agree that pricing can become an issue in terms of elevating the cost to a new level but it is just the best distribution model available currently to provided the need assistance and support in different countries.

james

Soldeed

« Reply #164 on: 29 Apr 2016, 09:20 pm »

How many songs will the Pi handle?

What happens when you go over the limit?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #165 on: 30 Apr 2016, 12:15 am »

I have over 30.000 currently - just slows down.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #166 on: 30 Apr 2016, 12:34 am »

After about 60,000 song the bryston db used by the artist view may stop working otherwise you can still browse your collection by the file folder structure of the drive or using a third party client.

Soldeed

« Reply #167 on: 30 Apr 2016, 01:36 am »

My main use would be to have 20K-30K of songs in one directory and use the shuffle function.

I also assume I can use a powered hard drive dockck.

Thanks

Vangelis

« Reply #168 on: 30 Apr 2016, 03:22 am »
With the new BDP Pi having a nice display for Meta data and Tidal music steaming, would it be a good assumption that an upgraded BDP-2 is coming in the near future?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #169 on: 30 Apr 2016, 04:26 am »
With the new BDP Pi having a nice display for Meta data and Tidal music steaming, would it be a good assumption that an upgraded BDP-2 is coming in the near future?

Hi

No plans on that front. The display on the Pi is just for simple control - shows IP address and MAC address etc.   

James

Krutsch

« Reply #170 on: 30 Apr 2016, 05:52 am »
Hi

No plans on that front. The display on the Pi is just for simple control - shows IP address and MAC address etc.   

James

I recall seeing a promo video showing album art on that screen; is this still planned for release?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #171 on: 30 Apr 2016, 10:45 am »
I recall seeing a promo video showing album art on that screen; is this still planned for release?

I will leave that for Chris to answer but I do not think that feature is in this version.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #172 on: 30 Apr 2016, 05:04 pm »

The display can show cover art and has a vu meter type feature, however its not as perfect as it might look at first glance and there are some caveats.  James is correct when he says the display was only added to do simple tasks like get the ip address, check firmware revision and enter service mode.  Using a TFT display was convenient due to its physical size, the Raspberry Pi's existing spi interface and cost.  As mentioned previously the display only has a resolution of 160x128 pixels and limited viewing angle.  The display is also disabled if your using a USB DAC and playing music due to some interference the SPI bus exhibits on the USB bus. 

25x

« Reply #173 on: 1 May 2016, 09:30 pm »
Watching the mainboard for the Pi I think there are seperate voltage regulators used. Maybe one for the Pi, another for HifiBerry circuitry or output stage, maybe also for USB? Could you shed some light on this?

I think this is one area where the Bryston Pi will be very different from basic Raspberry Pi board and will have great affect on SQ.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #174 on: 2 May 2016, 06:20 pm »
Watching the mainboard for the Pi I think there are seperate voltage regulators used. Maybe one for the Pi, another for HifiBerry circuitry or output stage, maybe also for USB? Could you shed some light on this?

I think this is one area where the Bryston Pi will be very different from basic Raspberry Pi board and will have great affect on SQ.

There are two linear regulators, one that bolts to the chassis that drives the pi and its peripherals and a seconds to ensure the voltage used in the over voltage protection circuit doesn't exceed 10.5v.

Marius

« Reply #175 on: 8 May 2016, 07:33 pm »
HI Ken,

Not sure if its any good, but thinking it won't harm either, id like to order one of those Ifi power adapters. 5v it should be according to the adapter of my usb hub, but IFY state the adapter is for 2,5 amp http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/, while my usb hubs adapter shows it gives 4.
to be honest, the usb hub adapter looks very very much like the ifi, it might as well be the same... how can one tell it produces dirty power, i would love to be able to test that.

Would this suffice, or is it just no match?

Cheers and thanks,
Marius

plus I added an iFi-Audio iPower 5v, which was another $49.00.
It's great time to be a computer nerd and an audiophile... there are so many options out there, it's incredible!

Marius

« Reply #176 on: 12 May 2016, 09:18 am »
Another interesting technical aspect to notice about the PI
Back feeding to the Pi unit from the powered USB hub: http://elinux.org/RPi_Powered_USB_Hubs

Chris, is this of interest also for the BDP1/2?

Thanks,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #177 on: 12 May 2016, 09:32 am »
HI Ken,

Not sure if its any good, but thinking it won't harm either, id like to order one of those Ifi power adapters. 5v it should be according to the adapter of my usb hub, but IFY state the adapter is for 2,5 amp http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/, while my usb hubs adapter shows it gives 4.
to be honest, the usb hub adapter looks very very much like the ifi, it might as well be the same... how can one tell it produces dirty power, i would love to be able to test that.

Would this suffice, or is it just no match?

Cheers and thanks,
Marius

I don't really know. There was a some discussion on Head-Fi.org on this topic and someone did some measurements and believed it to compare well with a traditional linear PSU. At $49.00 I thought I would just trust iFi-Audio.

Marius

« Reply #178 on: 12 May 2016, 09:38 am »
I don't really know. There was a some discussion on Head-Fi.org on this topic and someone did some measurements and believed it to compare well with a traditional linear PSU. At $49.00 I thought I would just trust iFi-Audio.

Sure i will too. But would the amperage be alright. 2,5 instead of 4 ?

Krutsch

« Reply #179 on: 12 May 2016, 09:53 am »
Sure i will too. But would the amperage be alright. 2,5 instead of 4 ?

2.5a is a lot for a single device. I use one to power my Cubox-I which is a higher-powered version of something like a Rasp.Pi.

Works just fine. The USB hub versions support more amps because it might be handing a number of USB-powered devices.