My newly found treasure...

chgolatin2

My newly found treasure...
« on: 4 Dec 2015, 06:29 pm »
I have heard the phrase that another's mans garbage is someone's treasure, well driving by an alley here in Chicago I came across this wood shelving unit which is perfect to be used as an audio rack. It needs some TLC but with a new sanding, varnish, and adding some spike feet she will look good... What ya guys think?

Don_S

Re: My newly found treasure...
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2015, 06:35 pm »
Great find.  :thumb: It looks structurally sound.  Any separation on the shelves?  Are they plywood? The stains on the bottom shelf might be too deep to sand out.  Stain or paint might be called for in that situation. I have salvaged worse looking furniture and been very happy with the results.  Good luck.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2015, 06:38 pm »
Superb :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2015, 06:45 pm »
Looks great!

chgolatin2

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2015, 07:38 pm »
Great find.  :thumb: It looks structurally sound.  Any separation on the shelves?  Are they plywood? The stains on the bottom shelf might be too deep to sand out.  Stain or paint might be called for in that situation. I have salvaged worse looking furniture and been very happy with the results.  Good luck.

It's pretty solid all around, just needs a few touch ups but that's about it. I may decide to do a whole paint job, maybe black in color but I also like the varnish look.. It all depends if I can get her nice and sanded down..

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2015, 07:51 pm »
Very nice! Clean lines, simple, should look great painted black, I'd be surprised if you could get the lower shelf sanded clean but worth a try.

It's fun finding stuff like this, reuse and keep the dumps less full.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2015, 08:09 pm »
It is nice to find a piece to work on.

Perhaps you could paint black the shelf surfaces and sand/restain everything else.

milford3

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2015, 08:19 pm »
My two cents.  Black shelf with white painted frame.  It should pop.

chgolatin2

« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2015, 10:07 pm »
My two cents.  Black shelf with white painted frame.  It should pop.

lol that's beyond my expertise that's more like a work of art... I'm talented but not that much, I'm going to stick to the basics, sanding, varnish, if it doesn't look good.  Painting

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2015, 10:11 pm »
I like the sanding, stain, and varnish look.  If some of the stains on the shelves don't sand out, who cares, there'll be components on them.

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 4 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm »
lol that's beyond my expertise that's more like a work of art... I'm talented but not that much, I'm going to stick to the basics, sanding, varnish, if it doesn't look good.  Painting

Another suggestion - after varnishing, put contact paper of design/color choice on the flat shelves.

TomS

« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2015, 12:06 am »
It looks a bit like these racks I have. The shelf cavities in mine are very similar construction, filled with Herbie's dots and slabs of granite.

chgolatin2

« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2015, 02:16 pm »

Another suggestion - after varnishing, put contact paper of design/color choice on the flat shelves.

Yes yes... Awesome suggestion, thanks!

chgolatin2

« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2015, 02:19 pm »
It looks a bit like these racks I have. The shelf cavities in mine are very similar construction, filled with Herbie's dots and slabs of granite.

They look almost the same indeed, curious where did you purchase this unit from? I would love to get spike feet for the unit. eBay should be a good start, also, the granite tops look very good... Makes it a solid base especially for a turntable which I'm planning on using my Technics SL1200MK2 and SL1600MK2 ;)

chgolatin2

« Reply #14 on: 5 Dec 2015, 02:20 pm »
I like the sanding, stain, and varnish look.  If some of the stains on the shelves don't sand out, who cares, there'll be components on them.

Exactly what I was thinking...

lacro

« Reply #15 on: 5 Dec 2015, 04:51 pm »
If you decide to sand/stain/varnish, be aware that you will have to completely remove the old finish (varnish/lacquer) before you stain. That's a lot of work, and you may want to use a chemical paint/varnish remover instead of trying to sand all the finish off.

Also, it appears the light colored wood may be Maple which is difficult to stain (will never really look good). You should first use a sanding sealer so the stain won't be blotchy. Removing all the old finish, staining, and varnishing is a lot of work. Painting would require sanding/painting only. A nice satin black would be good.

As for the shelves, I wouldn't bother trying to make them look good. It looks like this may have been a plant stand, and the shelves have water stains which are difficult to remove. Why not just install ceramic floor tiles on the shelves? Or - self stick vinyl floor tiles. I made a computer desk top using wood look vinyl tiles, it was easy, and looks great.

You could install spikes if you want. Parts express has several to chose from that have mounting inserts included.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #16 on: 5 Dec 2015, 05:58 pm »
If you decide to sand/stain/varnish, be aware that you will have to completely remove the old finish (varnish/lacquer) before you stain. That's a lot of work, and you may want to use a chemical paint/varnish remover instead of trying to sand all the finish off.

Also, it appears the light colored wood may be Maple which is difficult to stain (will never really look good). You should first use a sanding sealer so the stain won't be blotchy. Removing all the old finish, staining, and varnishing is a lot of work. Painting would require sanding/painting only. A nice satin black would be good.

As for the shelves, I wouldn't bother trying to make them look good. It looks like this may have been a plant stand, and the shelves have water stains which are difficult to remove. Why not just install ceramic floor tiles on the shelves? Or - self stick vinyl floor tiles. I made a computer desk top using wood look vinyl tiles, it was easy, and looks great.

You could install spikes if you want. Parts express has several to chose from that have mounting inserts included.

Lacro, the voice of reason.... I agree, satin black or even flat black would look great and if you want to do something different inside the shelves that would be nice too.

Don_S

« Reply #17 on: 5 Dec 2015, 06:27 pm »
TomS,  I love the two-tone wood.  :thumb:

chgolatin2,

Madisound and Adona are good sources for spikes.

I like Adona because they have different thread sizes if needed--and I needed M8.
http://www.adonacorporation.com/tweaks.html

Or Herbie's for other footer options.

I have to agree that sanding, staining, and varnishing is a lot of work.  It depends on what you want.  Solid maple is hard to stain but plywood might not be.  I doubt the water stains will come out of the shelves. You might just go dark there or cover with something.  I like stains without sealers.  I can control how evenly they are distributed by how long I let the stain sit and how many applications.  By wiping it with a wet rag before I wipe it dry, I can keep it uniform but still pop grain.  What wood are you dealing with?  I don't think you posted those details.  From the pics it looks like oak.

Your choices because it is your time and your dime and your preference.  Me, I have always preferred wood grain over paint. 

bacobits1

« Reply #18 on: 5 Dec 2015, 06:58 pm »
I think you got quite the find there. I would take your time sanding it. I bet if you got a Pigmented gel stain (not Watery Minwax stains) maybe ebony, you could get a couple of coats rubbed in and cover most of those stains. Then finish with a low gloss Tung Oil.

chgolatin2

« Reply #19 on: 6 Dec 2015, 07:30 am »
I think you got quite the find there. I would take your time sanding it. I bet if you got a Pigmented gel stain (not Watery Minwax stains) maybe ebony, you could get a couple of coats rubbed in and cover most of those stains. Then finish with a low gloss Tung Oil.

I only work 8 days a month and I get 2 weeks off so
I have "PLENTY" of time. However, I may get frustrated by the project if it's going to be a PITA I may just sand it down, pain it, get me some granite tops for the shelves and call
It day...