Impromptu Vintage TT shootout

abernardi

Impromptu Vintage TT shootout
« on: 10 Nov 2015, 08:20 am »
Well, I don’t know if anyone will find this useful, but I hope so!  A few of us, Jay, Rick and Adam (me), got together on Sunday in sunny Pasadena, CA and had a little informal vintage turntable shootout.  Here’s the lineup:

Preamp: AVA Fet Valve CF
Amps:  AVA 400R and Ultravalve
Speakers:  Yamaha NS 1000
Interconnects from phono pre to preamp: Liberty Cable Z500
Interconnects from preamp to amp: Kimber Kable Silver Streak.

Speaker cables:  Liberty Cables
                         Morrow Audio SP5 reference
                         Nordost Tyr

Phono preamps: Avid Pulsus, Nova Phonomena and EAR 834P w/vol. control

Turntables:   Phase Linear 8000 Series 2, with Modified Denon 103R with Sound Smith
                    retip ruby cantilever/Optimized Contour Nude Contact Line Diamond and
                    Audiosilente carbon fiber body.

Micro-Seiki B21, with a Graham Robin Tonearm, AT-OC09ML/II cartdridge,
                    Furutech AG-12 phono cable

JVC QL-Y5F modified with mass loading of the plinth and re-enforced base,
                   AT-OC09ML/II cartdridge

JVC QL-Y66F, no mods (yet), Denon SL-D1 cartridge

Empire 598 Series III, Empire 2000e/iii cartridge

We limited our listening to just a few cuts:
“Easy Money”   from Rickie Lee Jones “Self-Titled” album, Mobile Fidelity @ 45 RPM and the original pressing @ 33 1/3 RPM

“Goldrush” and “Oh Yeah” from Yello “One Second”

“I Will Find You There (Complete performance version)” Michael Ruff “Speaking in Melodies”, Sheffield Labs

The Michael Ruff cut was pretty much our reference cut that we played on everything and all combinations.  I finally had to ask the guys not to play it any more because I didn’t want to start hating that track!

The original idea was to compare Jay’s JVC Y5F with the OC09 cart and my Micro-Seiki with the same cart to see how the very different turntables/tonarms changed the sound.  The JVC is a direct drive with the Q-damped tonearm, while the Micro-Seiki is a simple belt drive.  Also, Jay added an extra 15 pounds or so of plastic clay to the plinth, so it was much more substantial.  The best I could do with my Micro-Seiki was put it on some Stillpoint cones.  It’s clear it needs the plastic clay treatment badly.
   We started with the Avid phono pre and the Ultravalve.  With both tables, we could immediately pick up on the cartridge’s signature sound, detailed, very lively, a little tilted up in the mid highs (1-3K maybe?) and slight dip in the bass (maybe 60-70Hz?), though the deep bass was there.     
   I’m probably biased, but I preferred the sound coming from the Micro-Seiki.  It had a little more body while the JVC was slightly lean.  I think Jay agreed… I’m sure he’ll comment below ;)…  They both sounded quite good though.
   Next we put the EAR phone preamp into the system and the sound became a little peaky at certain frequencies and uneven.  The EAR has only one adjustment button, MM or MC and I suspect it’s not a good match for the OC09 cart.  It sounds smoother in the MM setting, but you have to crank the volume to almost 100% on the phono pre AND the Preamp.  I felt like I had to strain to hear the quiet passages while the loud sections were too much.  I think that may have been because the system noise was just too high and overwhelmed the quiet passages. 
   Next we tried the other JVC turntable.  The QL-Y66F is a beautiful table.  The platter is oversized and gives it a museum quality look.  Lots of electronics on this baby.  It has the Q-dampened tonearm and if I understood correctly, the platter “floats” on a magnetic field?  Anyway, Jay just got it, so he hasn’t packed the plinth yet and I think that’s what we noticed right away.  There was less focus to the sound and it sounded like Rickie Lee was slurring her S’s like crazy.  Well, ok, she DOES slur her S’s… but it was even more pronounced than normal.  Over all the sound was not quite as detailed, but very listenable.  Smooth with body would be a good description.  We decided to switch from the Ultravalve tube amp to the 400R Hybrid amp to see if the solid state would be an improvement, and it was.  Things sharpened up, but I think we agreed the previous two turntables sounded better.  We briefly tried the EAR with the Hybrid amp and that was the worst combo, more peaky, more brittle.  Back to the Avid and Ultravalve…
   Up next was the Phase Linear with this totally tricked out cart.  When Jay told me it was a Ruby stylus I thought, OK, sounds cool, but the damn thing is RED.  I’m still new to serious record playing, so I’ve never seen this stuff before and it was very impressive.  We put on Michael Ruff and the improvement was immediately obvious.  Smoother, more detailed, balanced.  The timbre was multi-layered and complex.  That was the winning table by some margin. 
   There was one anomaly that we couldn’t explain though.  During one chorus of “I Will Find You There” there’s a female backup singer coming into the soundstage about ¼ of the way from the far left towards the center.  It played this way on all the turntables and at my home and from my CD as well at home.  But the Phase Linear setup jammed her right into the left speaker.  It was like she was stuffed inside the speaker cabinet.  It was startling and seemed wrong.  The overall soundstage was a little narrower with the Phase Linear as well.  Does that mean this turntable is this just more accurate?  Less crosstalk maybe?  I don’t think so, because there were other instruments that were in only the left or right channel and they stayed in place on all the turntables.  It was just this one female vocal.  Weird.

We briefly played the Empire turntable through the Nova Phonomena phono preamp.  This is the coolest looking table, I want it just to put on display.  It had a very pleasant, but colored sound.  It wasn’t audiophile grade, but I could listen to it happily. 

Rick brought over some Nordost Tyr speaker cables and we decided to compare them to the Liberty and Morrow SP5 cables.  We all expected the Nordost to be the best and they were significantly better than the Liberty cables.  So we set the Liberty’s aside and compared just the Morrows and the Nordost.  After Jay switched them 3 or 4 times as we kept our eyes closed, Rick and I thought we each had a very slight preference.  I preferred the Morrows and he preferred the Nordost.  But both of us were very unsure if that was our imaginations or not, it was so close.  That’s saying a lot for the Morrows, I think they list for less than 1/3 the price.  That was a nice surprise.

It was a fun afternoon.  I’m sure I missed some stuff, so Jay, please add to this.  When I got home I read up a little on the 834p and tube rolling.  I swapped out the V3 12AX7 for an old Sylvania 5751.  It made for even less gain in the MM position, but it made the MC setting smoother and very listenable.  A few other problems sprouted up, but I won’t go into that here, except to say, I’ve heard that the strength of the 834p is the design, not the components.  But there are mods that can be done that improve it significantly, mainly by improving the components.  Any opinions on that?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Impromptu Vintage TT shootout
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2015, 09:23 am »
Thanks for the review - that's always fun to compare a bunch of different components and see how they stack up.

ACHiPo

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2015, 12:53 pm »
Great review!  Thanks!

One question--you said that it was obvious that the Micro Seiki needed more mass in the plinth, yet you said you preferred it over the JVC which had been mass-loaded, and you preferred the Phase Linear with no mods over all.  What positive effect are you attributing to the plinth mass loading, and why do you think you liked the decks without it?

Regarding the effect of the singer being crammed into the speaker, I'm not sure but if the azimuth is off you may not be getting optimum separation on the Phase Linear deck.  Hopefully others more knowledgeable than me can comment.

PMAT

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2015, 02:32 pm »
Pictures would be great eh?

abernardi

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2015, 08:30 pm »
I surmise the Micro-Seiki needs more mass because when I even barely touch it I get a huge reverberating thump through the speakers, like a drum.  I can't imagine that would be a good thing in a turntable, though maybe that's what gave it more body...  I also was guessing that the reason the untreated JVC turntable was sounding fuzzy was because it wasn't as solid as it's modded little brother.  Also, I'll amend my original post when I get more info from Jay, but the Phase Linear was heavy as hell and I think he bolted it onto a 1" butcher block, I'll find out more from him, or he can chime in.

kbuzz3

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2015, 01:56 am »
I enjoy my 598.   Yes it's probably not in top tier.  But it sounds nice and looks great next to my vintage Sherwood

Ps I'm no expert but the empire needs some flc to sound it's best .  If you haven't installed new grommets, a new belt, replaced the tone arm cable and check the motor speed you may not be hearing at its best
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2015, 03:57 am by kbuzz3 »

trackball02

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2015, 03:39 am »
abernardi,
Thanks for your great write up. It was a lot of fun rotating different turntables with pre-installed cartridges in and out of play. Great way to compare.

The most interesting comparison was between your Micro-Seiki B21 and my JVC QL-y55f running the same AT OC9ii cartridge. I agree with your comments about the differences in sound between the two, and I also prefer yours. Lot's of factors in play from the turntable, tonearm and wiring.

My JVC QL-y5f was mass loaded with plastic clay and strips of peel and stick vinyl tile through out the plinth that was described on this site a while back:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=89320.0

I also beefed up the bottom plate with solid 3/4 inch walnut stips and plastic clay below the turntable and replaced the feet with cork-neoprene footers. The whole unit now weighs 35 lbs. Rapping the outsides of the plinth reveals a nice dull thud. I did not replace the original interconnects, and I wonder if your Furutech AG-12 phono cable was a major factor. I think my next move will be to replace the interconnects. Time to get the soldering iron out! 

Since the JVC has Q-dampening, we also dialed the Q-dampening on the fly, and there was no audible difference in sound. The JVC speed is dead on, the Micro-Seiki, has an audible pitch variation with sustained notes mostly likely from a belt that needs to be replaced.

I'll comment on the other turntables in subsequent posts.