You're never too old

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
You're never too old
« on: 8 Nov 2015, 09:24 am »
Yesterday I turned 56 (hurry, retirement!) and I had been thinking about mcgxxr and his speaker placement experiments with his 1.6s.
The downstairs system has always driven me kind of crazy as it doesn't sound as good as the upstairs one.
A little 3W bulb went off in my head and I did a rough arm-to-arm measurement with the 1.7s upstairs, went downstairs and did the same thing with the 3.7s and added a bit for the extra width of the speakers which is basically what mcgsxr did when he upgraded.

Son of a gun, it worked.  I simply had the speakers too far apart.  Closer together with just a little toe-in and Waka Jawaka/Hot Rats never sounded so good.  Shame it only took me years to figure this out better late than never.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: You're never too old
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2015, 12:24 pm »
Hot damn, Steve. You're just 7 months my senior.

What discovery will I find next June?  :icon_twisted: I think I'll be in Colorado in June.

Roar into life, my friend.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2015, 01:47 pm »
Now that's amusing, and a cool example of why I love audio forums.

Some guy (me in this case) tries something in his own setup while posting about the issues.  Not only do I get advice but others get a sense of one thing to try.   I did a ton of surfing about placement, and anyone who has read about Maggies knows that there is a TON out there, and that experimentation is key.

Websourcing/Crowdsourcing - whatever you call it.

Glad it worked for you.  And me!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2015, 01:50 pm »
You're going to find out the young chicks think you should be dating their mom.  :D
Funny that you should mention it, I AM looking at adding another motorcycle to the stable for being such a good boy...

Yeah, thinking about what you did made me take a second look and start shoving speakers around again.  You have good ears!

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2015, 02:21 pm »
Steve, it's nice to see kids like you in the hobby :lol:

josh358

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2015, 03:30 pm »
Hey, Steve, happy birthday!

I've been experimenting with placement too. I pulled the bass panels of the IVa's *forward* of the mid-tweeter panels so that the front and side walls are unencumbered and I only have the 18" wide mid-tweeter panel in the way of the wall reflections. The results are spectacular, as I pull the bass panels away I get that "magic carpet" sense of being transported into another acoustic space.

It also leaves room for the projection screen, which was my original intent -- although admittedly, the speakers themselves look way cooler when the panels are together:

Now I have to experiment with getting the bass right, the woofer panels are out of time. I won't be able to fix that properly until the Mini DSP arrives and I can bi amp but meanwhile I can experiment with the response of the panels themselves, bass response increases the closer they are to the mid-tweet baffles because they couple acoustically (the DWM effect).

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2015, 04:15 pm »
Yesterday I turned 56 (hurry, retirement!) and I had been thinking about mcgxxr and his speaker placement experiments with his 1.6s.
The downstairs system has always driven me kind of crazy as it doesn't sound as good as the upstairs one.
A little 3W bulb went off in my head and I did a rough arm-to-arm measurement with the 1.7s upstairs, went downstairs and did the same thing with the 3.7s and added a bit for the extra width of the speakers which is basically what mcgsxr did when he upgraded.

Son of a gun, it worked.  I simply had the speakers too far apart.  Closer together with just a little toe-in and Waka Jawaka/Hot Rats never sounded so good.  Shame it only took me years to figure this out better late than never.

Happy Birthday Steve.
Only 56, you are still young.
In just a few months I will be 68,
can't believe I am that old and that time went by so fast,
but still have time to experiment with my speaker placement,
well, that's when I will be back on planet Vietnam,
maybe next year.

Guy 13

brooklyn

« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2015, 04:29 pm »
Happy Birthday Steve..

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2015, 05:42 pm »
Thanks, everyone.
I can see those Tympanis ending more than one marriage but I think I'd be willing to take the risk.

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2015, 05:49 pm »

I just brought home .7s to audition.

At the dealer they had them WAY too far apart..over 12 feet..ridiculous..and driven with 75 watt McIntosh tube monos..not enough steam. I told them the only way I will know if these will work is if I take them home. Setting them up today about 6 feet apart. I sit roughly 10 feet away.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2015, 10:49 pm »
That sounds like a good starting place.
If you have a helper, put them side by side and then have them slowly moved apart until you hear two separate speakers and then move them back together a little bit. 
You'll know once you get them right (sometimes it takes a few years like in my case, ha, ha).

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2015, 11:25 pm »
I would also advise moving the listening chair completely out of the way near the end of a session.

Then walk to the back of the room.  Walk forward and listen to how the sound changes.  Move the chair to where you like it best. 

I ended up closer to the speakers than is "recommended" in the literature.  I find I move the chair closer or further away now and again, but I know I have found a good spot for the speakers in my room.

geowak

« Reply #12 on: 9 Nov 2015, 12:36 am »
H-a-P-p-Y  B-i-R-t-H-d-A-y ! 
Btw I am 184 yrs old. I have been reincarnated 3 times

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 9 Nov 2015, 01:42 am »
geowak,
I don't know how to break this to you but you only get sent back if there's room for improvement.
I should know, this is my 5th go around.  I try to be good but it's just not happening. :icon_twisted:
I think it's a lost cause.

josh358

« Reply #14 on: 9 Nov 2015, 03:19 am »
Thanks, everyone.
I can see those Tympanis ending more than one marriage but I think I'd be willing to take the risk.
In all fairness, these have the socks off since I have to fix a bit of delam and the old socks were pretty raunchy. If the socks were on, well, they'd still end your marriage, but at least they'd end it in style:

(These are Norman M's -- the socks on mine were white)

Seriously, the best approach is to say "But look, dear, these are so much smaller than these Sound Labs!"

jsm71

« Reply #15 on: 9 Nov 2015, 06:17 pm »
Josh, that picture of the white chair way forward into the influence of the speakers reminds me of the vintage ad where the guy is slouching in the chair and his hair is blown straight back!   :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 9 Nov 2015, 06:54 pm »
I think Josh has the JBL guy beat.

I'm sure that the white plastic lawn chair has sentimental value but would you be offended if we bought you something a bit more upscale? 

josh358

« Reply #17 on: 9 Nov 2015, 07:11 pm »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 9 Nov 2015, 08:34 pm »
Alex had it made.

josh358

« Reply #19 on: 9 Nov 2015, 08:51 pm »
Those woofers look kind of slow...