SS Or Tube Phono Preamplifier?

4Play

• You Get Busy Living or You Get Busy Dying
SS Or Tube Phono Preamplifier?
« on: 17 Oct 2015, 07:38 pm »
I have ss and tubes in my integrated amplifiers. I love both and switch out ocassionally. My dilemma is my Emotiva XPS-1's power supply has died. This makes two power supplies that have gone bad within twelve months. The unit is one of the best phono preamps I have found, but Emotiva uses a cheap P.O.S. power supply. So, I am on the hunt for a good phono preamp and hope it will last longer.

EDIT:
Please do not recommend to me to contact Emotiva and get another power supply. Until they realize the power supply they are currently using is bad, they will continue to replace with the same power supply. I do not want the same power supply because it will continue to go bad.

There are advantages/disadvantages to ss and tube amps. Basically it comes down to preference. For an audiophile who uses both ss and tubes, I'm not sure which one would be the overall best fir for my audio system. It must be compatible for MM and MC cartridges since I use both in my analog system.

I'm looking for help/recommendations from those who have used both, and I would for you to give me your thoughts/impressions and which one you prefer and why. I know the majority of you have high end audio equipment. However, I am a low middle class person with a family of two living on just my paycheck, so my budget for the new/slightly used preamp will be $500 or less.

Your help/assistance will be appreciated!
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2015, 10:38 pm by 4Play »

yeldarb

Re: SS Or Tube Phono Preamplifier?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2015, 09:35 pm »
You should have a 5 year warranty on the Emo.  Make them replace the stupid thing.  AVA has a new one, but it isn't Emo priced.  Still, take a look.

4Play

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2015, 10:21 pm »
I called Emotiva. The only resolve they can do would be to send me another power supply that is the same as what I already have. All of them are a P.O.S. Until they realize there is a problem and use a different power supply, those who own an XPS-1 will continue to have this problem. This is the second one that has went out within twelve months. Why would I want to receive the same power supply knowing it will eventually go bad. I am moving on.

Tell me more about the AVA and where I can source them.

bacobits1

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2015, 11:11 pm »
Again, I'm surprised at that SMPS and they are made for constant duty usually no turn off.
Try one of the better PS's we suggested in the other thread. Save you time on a new decision if you still like the Eomotiva.

$300 new returnable, Vista Audio MKII I keep saying it because I'm sorry I sold mine.
I picked up my Heed Quasar ($1200) with PS for $700. There is one on US Audiomart but no PS
Many great used Phonos.

Check out US Audio Mart.
There is a Parks Audio there with built in Cinmag's used.
There are also Musical Surrounding Nova's and Phonomena II's there.
My Monolithic Sound Modwright was excellent ,sold for $400.
You need to shop around. You can always make an offer on any of these.

4Play

« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2015, 11:16 pm »
Again, I'm surprised at that SMPS and they are made for constant duty usually no turn off.
$300 Vista Audio MKII I keep saying it because I'm sorry I sold mine.
I picked up my Heed Quasar  ($1200) with PS for $600.
Many great used Phonos.
Check US Audio Mart.
There is a Parks Audio there with built in Cinmags used.
There are also Musical Surrounding Nova's and Phonomena II's there.

Bacobits1... Thank you for your recommendations. Please tell me more about the Vista Audio MkIII and Heed Quasar, and why you sold the VA if it is that good and why did you buy the Heed Quasar. Are these both MM and MC compatible?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2015, 11:39 pm »
In the mean time why don't you replace the stock power supply with another brand?

The output voltage and current should be written on the supply.  Get one with same voltage and at least as much current.  If the connector doesn't match, cut off the old one and splice it on.  That will give you a chance to do some research about a new one, or maybe you'll want to keep it.

I see I've been preempted by Bacobits.  I just got a Vista as a secondary phono and it's making mincemeat of 3 of my 4 phono stages.  It has user selectable gain (40, 50, 55, 60, 65, and 70dB).  Mine has custom loading for both resistance and capacitance.  That's not the standard configuration, but you can have it made any way you want.  I would characterize the sound as neutral.  It's not lush, warm, bright or strident.  It sounds like the record. 

If you're looking to impart a particular sound for your system, maybe a different unit would be better.
neo

bacobits1

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2015, 11:41 pm »
Neo you got one. It is neutral and does nothing wrong, very natural sound.

You asked so, The Heed is the best I have had here. I like to keep things re$onable too. I buy wisely and used.
EE mini Max Tube Phono, Black Cube EX, awhile ago. Monolithic Sound with PS, Monolithic Sound Modwright/ PS, MS Nova, MS Phonomena II, Ifi Phono, Vista Audio MKII, RS NightHawk (borrowed over hyped and priced). I have had these  mostly over a 2 year period, not in that order.

The Heed was so good in detail, layering, depth, noise, it eliminated my Stepup using Low output MC's and sounded better without them. Vista was sold because something else came up used and too quick to sell. I think it was the ifi.
I kept looking for something like all of us that really turns us on.

Anything more specific and these come down to different flavors. My opinion and don't mean to step on anyone's choices as all our systems are different and not even getting into the cartridges. Many variables it gets too hard to give a recommendation.

I would not want to be accused of having an "agenda".

yeldarb

« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2015, 11:42 pm »
I own an Emotiva and it hasn't had any problems.  AVA is Audio by Van Alstine.  They are on the board and there is a link to the company.  I have owned one of their preamps for years.  Their stuff is no nonsense and delivers a quality of sound much higher than the price would lead you to expect.  They also have upgrade paths available for much of their stuff.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2015, 11:46 pm »
I own an Emotiva and it hasn't had any problems. 

Maybe something is wrong with your unit, and keeps blowing power supplies?
neo

bacobits1

« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2015, 11:51 pm »
If Emotiva had problems with PS's they would be failing all over. They would have to do something. I would think?
AND it has not shown up on any boards. The Internet tells all. Ya can't hide.
Lot of users on Audiokarma.

4Play

« Reply #10 on: 18 Oct 2015, 12:03 am »
In the mean time why don't you replace the stock power supply with another brand?

I could and I started a thread asking for a good power supply. After much thinking, I decided to forgo the power supply and get a new preamp.

The output voltage and current should be written on the supply.  Get one with same voltage and at least as much current.  If the connector doesn't match, cut off the old one and splice it on.  That will give you a chance to do some research about a new one, or maybe you'll want to keep it.

I see I've been preempted by Bacobits.  I just got a Vista as a secondary phono and it's making mincemeat of 3 of my 4 phono stages.  It has user selectable gain (40, 50, 55, 60, 65, and 70dB).  Mine has custom loading for both resistance and capacitance.  That's not the standard configuration, but you can have it made any way you want.  I would characterize the sound as neutral.  It's not lush, warm, bright or strident.  It sounds like the record. 

If you're looking to impart a particular sound for your system, maybe a different unit would be better.

That's why I'm asking about ss or tube. So far, I have not heard from any tube phono premp owners.
neo

I own an Emotiva and it hasn't had any problems.  AVA is Audio by Van Alstine.  They are on the board and there is a link to the company.  I have owned one of their preamps for years.  Their stuff is no nonsense and delivers a quality of sound much higher than the price would lead you to expect.  They also have upgrade paths available for much of their stuff.

I've been in contact with Frank regarding his phono preamp. We'll see what happens.

If anyone owns or have owned a tube phono preamp, I would like to hear from you about your experience/thoughts/impressions. I am reading an article from Stereophile magazine on a review of the NAD PP3. This one looks promising but it's too early to tell.

4Play

« Reply #11 on: 18 Oct 2015, 12:09 am »
If Emotiva had problems with PS's they would be failing all over. They would have to do something. I would think?
AND it has not shown up on any boards. The Internet tells all. Ya can't hide.
Lot of users on Audiokarma.

I bought mine when they just came out. The first batch sold out very quick. Mine was one of the second batch. You are right, no one else has complained, and I comprehend that I am the only one with this problem. Let's face it, two power supplies bad within twelve months? Something is not right. Of course, I've been haunted with Murphy's Law for most of my life. Serious, you have no idea.

bacobits1

« Reply #12 on: 18 Oct 2015, 12:12 am »
At least it wasn't on a piece costing 5k. Been in this for 40 years and........ no I won't say it.

Your right. I favor SS. At one time I ran total 23 tubes throughout the system. Them days are over.
Tube Phono's can be even more expensive to be as quiet as SS. Personal preference.
Not familiar with the NAD never considered it. Always looked a little up the price ladder , used.

4Play

« Reply #13 on: 18 Oct 2015, 12:17 am »
Your right. I favor SS. At one time I ran total 23 tubes throughout the system. Them days are over.
Tube Phono's can be even more expensive to be as quiet as SS. Personal preference.
Not familiar with the NAD never considered it. Always looked a little up the price ladder.

I find nothing wrong with that. That's why all of are individual, it makes us who we are. However, I cannot afford to climb too far up the ladder due to my finances. I am considering my next phono preamp to be an upgrade due to the power supply.

I'm still hoping to hear from the tube phono preamp owners.

JackD

« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2015, 12:58 am »
Neo

Glad to see you finally ordered the Vista and like it.  I still use my two everyday.  I also had the XPS-1 and it was plugged for almost 2 years with no problems. It's back in the box now with one of the Vista's moving to the office since my new Modwright preamp has the tubed phono board.  To 4Play unfortunately the combo of tubed phono stage and reasonably priced don't go together.  The only one I am familiar with in the price category would be the Parks Audio but phono grade NOS tubes in the 6DJ8 family don't come cheap and most of the current production ones are strident. The Modwright uses tubes from the 12AU7 family which can still be found for reasonable prices. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding and more flexible unit that the Vista for anywhere close in cost.

4Play

« Reply #15 on: 18 Oct 2015, 01:14 am »
Neo

Glad to see you finally ordered the Vista and like it.  I still use my two everyday.  I also had the XPS-1 and it was plugged for almost 2 years with no problems. It's back in the box now with one of the Vista's moving to the office since my new Modwright preamp has the tubed phono board.  To 4Play unfortunately the combo of tubed phono stage and reasonably priced don't go together.  The only one I am familiar with in the price category would be the Parks Audio but phono grade NOS tubes in the 6DJ8 family don't come cheap and most of the current production ones are strident. The Modwright uses tubes from the 12AU7 family which can still be found for reasonable prices. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding and more flexible unit that the Vista for anywhere close in cost.

JackD... I really appreciate your insights and thoughts. You make some valid points in your post. There's a Pro-Ject Tube Box S Phono Preamp for around $450. I need to do some reading and see what consumers are saying about this preamp. I will also be checking out the Vincent as well.

I have read if you have a ss amp/receiver, a tube phono preamp would be the best set up, and a tube amp/receiver would be best with a ss phono preamp. Has anyone heard this, and is there any truth in this statement? I would be interested in reading what your thoughts would be.

4Play

« Reply #16 on: 18 Oct 2015, 02:25 am »
Some of you have made some valid recommendations. I have a lot of work for me to do tomorrow. In no order, this is what I am considering.

NAD PP3 - Solid State

Vista Audio Phono-1 MkII - Solid State

Pro-Ject Tube Box S Phono Reamp

Jolida JD-9 MkII Tube Phono Preamp

AVA Vision RIAA - Solid State

This has the possibility of finding a good phono preamp, and possibly a tough decision to make. Everything was more simple when Henry Ford said, "You can have any color you want, as long it's black."

Rocket

« Reply #17 on: 18 Oct 2015, 02:30 am »
Hi,

Contact AVA regarding their phono stage.  Your dealing direct prices and they have a good reputation.  Vista audio also have some good reviews.  Cheers Rod

yeldarb

« Reply #18 on: 18 Oct 2015, 03:30 am »
A friend has been lusting for a tube model from Musical Paradise, in Canada.  I know nothing other than what the web site says.  Pretty thing with 4 12ax7.

You might ask Emotiva to check out your phono pre and see if anything is wrong, causing power supply failure.

4Play

« Reply #19 on: 18 Oct 2015, 07:15 pm »
When you're looking for a phono preamp, what are the important factors I should look for? Is there anything particular you look for in the specs? I know the best way to tell is audition. When you live in a state that has no audio stores, auditioning is out of the question.

Any suggestions/advice you could give me will be very much appreciated.