7+ passenger vehicle recommendations?

harri009

• Industry Participant
Re: 7+ passenger vehicle recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: 10 Sep 2015, 09:46 pm »
I didn't want a minivan either, but I test drove the Honda Pilot, Mitsubishi Outlander, Nissan Armada, Nissan Pathfinder, and Toyota Highlander and frankly none of them were as comfortable as the 2015 Honda Odyssey SE.  Purchased new for $28k so it fits your budget.  Even if you don't think you want a mini van you should try it.

ctviggen

« Reply #21 on: 13 Sep 2015, 07:49 pm »
Thank you all for the possibilities.  I spoke with the wife, and we'll go look at some minivans.  To me, the minivan is the perfect vehicle for our needs, as we don't need to tow anything, and they tend to get better gas mileage.  Our process will take a while, but I'll post back as to what we look at, what we (she) thinks, and what we (she) gets. 

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 25 Sep 2015, 05:34 pm »
Thank you all for the possibilities.  I spoke with the wife, and we'll go look at some minivans.  To me, the minivan is the perfect vehicle for our needs, as we don't need to tow anything, and they tend to get better gas mileage.  Our process will take a while, but I'll post back as to what we look at, what we (she) thinks, and what we (she) gets.
Any news on the hunt?

Sonny

« Reply #23 on: 25 Sep 2015, 05:43 pm »
Agreed that the Honda Odyssey is a great MiniVan, if there was such a thing.   :thumb:

jparkhur

« Reply #24 on: 25 Sep 2015, 06:01 pm »
I have had a CX 9 - to little space in back
Mini Van Sienna Toyota.. loved it, would get another one.
Currently have two Highlanders with three rows of seating.  Picked up one with 20k miles for 20k at my local dealer, 150,000 miles on it now. no issues
Have a 2012 Highlander too, new.  50k on it, and runs and rocks.  Only my two cents..

JP

KKM

« Reply #25 on: 25 Sep 2015, 10:51 pm »
The Mazda5 seats 6 and is smaller than the average minivan, it's fairly fun to drive for a minivan. The dealer even had one with a stick and was very surprise how well it felt in regards to the driving dynamics, much more fun than any other minivans and SUV's.

ctviggen

« Reply #26 on: 3 Apr 2016, 06:12 pm »
After looking at minivans and SUVs, my wife likes either the new Honda Pilot or the Buick Enclave/GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse.  She says we don't need the space of a minivan (true, as 90% of the time, it will be my wife and two kids), but we would like the ability to haul 5 adults and two kids and two dogs.  The Enclave/Acadia/Traverse allow that to happen, while most other (medium size) SUVs do not (the old Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander both have third rows that are quite small).  So, the chances are high we'll be getting either an Enclave or an Acadia, probably the latter, and a used one with low miles if we can swing that.  I personally can't believe how expensive these cars are -- it's easy to get close to 50k.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #27 on: 3 Apr 2016, 06:49 pm »
After looking at minivans and SUVs, my wife likes either the new Honda Pilot or the Buick Enclave/GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse.  She says we don't need the space of a minivan (true, as 90% of the time, it will be my wife and two kids), but we would like the ability to haul 5 adults and two kids and two dogs.  The Enclave/Acadia/Traverse allow that to happen, while most other (medium size) SUVs do not (the old Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander both have third rows that are quite small).  So, the chances are high we'll be getting either an Enclave or an Acadia, probably the latter, and a used one with low miles if we can swing that.  I personally can't believe how expensive these cars are -- it's easy to get close to 50k.

I haven't visited this thread for a very long time and didn't read the other posts since. If I recall I recommended either the Toyota Sequoia or the Ford Expedition. Both of these are very nice vehicles with the Toyota being much more like a car with good handling, a lot of power and a really nice ride. The Ford which I also owned in contrast rides more like a truck, still has a lot of power but doesn't handle as well.

What I own now is a fully accessorized Enclave which I purchased a couple of years ago. I'm going to be straight up and say I'm just not that happy with the Enclave. It was very expensive, does handle and ride very nicely and has every bell and whistle you can think of. The problem I have with it is the V6 engine and the way it shifts. It's under powered, lags when it shifts, isn't as quiet as promoted and gets 14 mpg according to it's own computer which is what I was getting with my expedition. The Sequoia on the other hand gets about 22 to 26 mpg and is just as quiet. It's the basic model with leather so not many bells and whistles but I would buy another one in a heart beat when we need it.

I'm guessing the Acadia and Traverse are less expensive? I think I would be more likely to by one of those if they are less. The Enclave to me just seems like an O.K. vehicle with lots of extras which you pay dearly for. I think the size is really good in these models if they are in fact the same all around. My Enclave is very long and really does have a lot of room. It's lower to the ground than the other Suv's I've owned which bothers me a bit, but that's just because I'm used to sitting up high which allow you to see a lot farther.

This is just my humble opinion, I've owned a lot of SUV's in my life and the Sequoia is by far my favorite.

Good Luck with your purchase, I'm sure what ever you buy will be very nice, most cars are very good these days.

ctviggen

« Reply #28 on: 3 Apr 2016, 08:50 pm »
Thank you the comments.  The Acadia and Traverse are slightly less expensive.  They all easily surpass 40k, though. 

The Sequoia I think is nice, but too huge.  My wife refuses to even drive one.  It's also more than we want to pay -- starting at 50k for the "cheap" model.  We want to put 10-15k down and pay about $550/month for five years.  We would then have no payments for 3-5 years.  My calculations yield 42,500 as the maximum price (and taxes would take that to 45,000). 

The Acadia/Traverse are really the right size:  not huge but not too small.  It is too bad that they're under powered yet also get poor gas mileage.  The Acadia is redesigned this year, but the new models haven't reached the dealers yet.

jpm

« Reply #29 on: 3 Apr 2016, 09:14 pm »
Unfortunately, the wife refuses to look at minivans and does not like the Ford Flex. 

My wife still doesn't like the look of the Flex from the outside, but it was the only vehicle that was able to pry the keys to her Acura MDX away from her vice like grip once she drove it. Getting her to drive it was the key, and from the inside it looks perfectly "normal".

Built on the Ford D4 platform derived directly from the Volvo S90 (along with the Explorer, Taurus and the Lincoln MK something-or-others) I call it the best station wagon Volvo almost built.

After renting one a couple of times on work trips, I figured I'd try to get my wife to take a look. After 3 years of seeking a replacement for her MDX and nothing stacking up, she reluctantly agreed.

Although competitors have by and large matched a lot of the technology in a loaded Flex, it has some unique advantages:

- Adjustable pedals - these were a revelation as she's 4'10 and I'm 6'
- Ideal seat height, not too high, not too low.
- Easy ingress and egress - no rear wheel arches to deal with and no B pillar getting in the way (Taurus).
- 2nd row seat room that embarrasses a limo
- Ride and handling that outclasses everything else short of the luxury market - it feels very BMW 7 series to me, big but nimble, comfortable and controlled.

Last but not least, for those who enjoy driving enthusiastically or regularly carry a full complement of passengers + luggage, the available EgoBoost engine (365HP / 350lb ft) turns the Flex into the ultimate sleeper fire-breathing-dragon-wagon.

I think that engine also had a lot to do with selling my wife :)

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #30 on: 4 Apr 2016, 01:02 am »
Thank you the comments.  The Acadia and Traverse are slightly less expensive.  They all easily surpass 40k, though. 

The Sequoia I think is nice, but too huge.  My wife refuses to even drive one.  It's also more than we want to pay -- starting at 50k for the "cheap" model.  We want to put 10-15k down and pay about $550/month for five years.  We would then have no payments for 3-5 years.  My calculations yield 42,500 as the maximum price (and taxes would take that to 45,000). 

The Acadia/Traverse are really the right size:  not huge but not too small.  It is too bad that they're under powered yet also get poor gas mileage.  The Acadia is redesigned this year, but the new models haven't reached the dealers yet.

It's interesting to me that some people think bigger cars are harder to drive, my Expedition was big, but also very easy to drive. It had the best turning radius of any vehicle that I have ever owned, period. I could turn around on a dime. The Sequoia while still good doesn't turn as well. My Wife won't give up her Sequoia and really doesn't like driving my Enclave at all, go figure. I really do like my Enclave, I just feel like I paid too much for what I actually got. It sounds like you want a new car and aren't looking at used? I get that but stopped buying new cars a long time ago, just too much of a hit up front for me. Cars are so expensive now and they are a lousy investment, I let someone else take the hit and then buy what I want with low miles on it.

I do agree that the Enclave is a really good size, it has a ton of room in it but doesn't feel that big. The turning radius is pretty good and it is comfortable to drive, just have a problem with the limited power. 

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #31 on: 4 Apr 2016, 03:16 am »
The Chevy Traverse / GMC Acadia are good options ... above average reliability, resale value, and utility. Owners rate them highly. 8 passenger midsize SUV. You (or someone) mentioned the Buick Enclave ... if that meets your needs, I find the Buicks to have awesome interiors.

As for the Ford Flex, I'm not sure why but Ford does not really seem interested in promoting that vehicle. It would be on my short list if I were in the market.

I can't explain why, but I've never seen a TV ad for one, for example. It also does not sell that well ... of course that might be expected if it really is the Red-Headed Stepchild of the lineup. I agree the appearance is unique but I don't find them ugly, it just takes a while to let it grow on you.

And I say this as someone who is not a Ford fan by any means. The one thing I dislike about Fords is they rarely offer the fuel consumption of their rivals, and in my experience never meet their advertised fuel rating. The other thing that I don't like about Ford is they seem to change parts for no apparent reason year-to-year. For example a heater core might be different for each year of a van when the appearance and features of the truck don't really change year to year. It's strange but if you are buying parts you *really* need to be sure the year, model, details are correct. It's not like GM where the heater core on the Chevy or GMC van is the same part number for a decade.

But I would still look at the Flex; if it really is a slow moving model the dealer might be motivated to offer a good deal on one on the lot.