7+ passenger vehicle recommendations?

ctviggen

7+ passenger vehicle recommendations?
« on: 8 Sep 2015, 10:59 pm »
Anyone have a 7+ passenger vehicle?  If so, which one?  We do not need to tow anything; we just need a people hauler.  This will be my wife's car that I'll use too, eg, to go to Home Depot.  Unfortunately, the wife refuses to look at minivans and does not like the Ford Flex.  If you have any recommendations, I'd appreciate them.  If you have a recommendation for trim level, that would be great too.  Also, if you have any likes/dislikes, I'd appreciate them too.

I'd prefer to buy something with 2-3 years on it, if at all possible.  I'd prefer to be south of 35,000 if I can buy used and even better under 30k.  I was thinking:

Buick Enclave
Chevy Traverse
Honda Pilot
Mazda CX-9
Mitsubishi Outlander
Nissan Armada
Nissan Pathfinder
Toyota Highlander
Volvo XC90

That seems like too long of a list.  I don't think I can get the wife to test drive 9 cars. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: 7+ passenger vehicle recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2015, 11:11 pm »
Shop by Consumers Report ratings (the April issue has reliability feedback from 100,000's of members) and availability of good service (in a smaller market that will greatly reduce the length of your list).  If you already have a good independent mechanic, ask him for recommendations.

Then present the options to your wife.

(Added 09/09/15):

We had a Toyota Sienna minivan and it ended up being the best vehicle I've ever owned (reliable, comfortable, and with great utility). Had 236,000 miles on it when I totaled it.   :duh:  It was a 2001 so wouldn't hold a sheet of plywood, but with the 2 tone rocker panel treatment looked rather sharp for a minivan, did haul 7, towed a U-haul trailer 800 miles, and was easier to fit tight spots.  Note I've owned 4 other Toyotas, 2 Hondas, a Subaru, etc.
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2015, 12:28 pm by JLM »

chip

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2015, 11:12 pm »
Ok so we were looking at some of the same vehicles back in 2008. The family grew and time to move into something bigger. Didn't want a minivan.
Out of the list of yours we looked at -

Mazda CX-9 co worker owned one
Toyota Highlander mother in law owned one

The SUVs with third row seating just didn't seem to do it for us. The space wasn't there..still seemed crowded.

Other family members were driving a Toyota Sienna and a Honda Odyssey. We test drove both of those while we were visiting them.
We got back home after a vacation and test drove both again locally. We own a Honda Odyssey and it works out great.

I do get the don't want to drive a minivan but I will tell you the drive is comfortable. We always get compliments on it when we go on group outings.
We use it when we go to the coast or the mountains as it has a great amount of room. So I would really suggest giving one a test drive. The newer ones even look sleeker and nicer than the 2008 we have.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2015, 11:16 pm »
Too bad about the minivan issue.  Our Hyundai Entourage has been very good the past 7 years.

My brother (family of 6) has a Ford Expedition Max.  He has had it about 2 years.  He had a Toyota minivan before the big Ford, and his next family hauler will be the Toyota Highlander.  He has more love for Toyota, after the Expedition left them stranded near Boston, and then having just been fixed, the AC died on the way home to Toronto.

Totally agree that Consumers reports should help narrow the field for you, and y'all can pick something appropriate that you like that you will have a predictable experience with.

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2015, 02:49 am »
I'm with her on Minivans, but the Honda Odyssey would be the only one I'd consider. A friend has one and I don't despise it, so that's a good sign.

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2015, 03:03 am »
I own an Odyssey with 205k and it has been a great car, but I know the feeling about the minivan look, not very hip. But it holds full size plywood, handles like a car and can stomp wannabe hotrods like V6 mustang, etc. at the stoplight. That's enough for me.  The minivan easy for elderly and small children to enter/exit because it's a low floor and huge side doors of course.

I know a few people very happy with Honda Pilots of the past two versions. I don't know anybody with the new version. Same great engine and tranny as the Odyssey. I'm not so hot on the latest Honda interior feel, but older ones felt more substantial.

I know one family with a Mazda CX-9, they like it, no problems.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #6 on: 9 Sep 2015, 05:19 am »
My wife drives a 2013 Honda Odyssey, it is very practical and especially comfortable on long trips. If you need the room for hauling cargo and/or people it is a good solution. When we were test driving, we thought that the Pilot probably meets other needs better, especially if you have a need for four wheel drive.

I own an Odyssey with 205k and it has been a great car, but I know the feeling about the minivan look, not very hip. But it holds full size plywood, handles like a car and can stomp wannabe hotrods like V6 mustang, etc. at the stoplight. That's enough for me.  The minivan easy for elderly and small children to enter/exit because it's a low floor and huge side doors of course.

I know a few people very happy with Honda Pilots of the past two versions. I don't know anybody with the new version. Same great engine and tranny as the Odyssey. I'm not so hot on the latest Honda interior feel, but older ones felt more substantial.

I know one family with a Mazda CX-9, they like it, no problems.

tx2sturgis

• Texas Panhandle
« Reply #7 on: 9 Sep 2015, 05:34 pm »

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 9 Sep 2015, 05:57 pm »
I have a 2014 Honda Pilot (EX-L with Nav - owned it for just under 18 months - had a Honda CR-V before that). The technology on the 2016s looks amazing.  I just took it (the 2014) on a couple of long rides (Capital Audiofest just over a week ago) and got about 25MPG back and forth.  I had my car serviced after the trip and saw the 2016s trickling in (but really did not want to hand around and I want the Elite model anyway and didn't see any of those) and I'll be checking them out next service in several months.

RDavidson

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2015, 12:06 am »
I vote Honda Odyssey. We've leased two of them over the past 5-6 years. Both were fantastic vehicles. The utility, comfort, reliability and economy are really unmatched for the price. Not to mention, the Odyssey holds its value better / longer than the vast majority of vehicles out there. We now have an Acura MDX, primarily because our youngest is grown to the point that we don't need all the conveniences of a van and my wife got tired of driving such a large / long vehicle everywhere.....which is understandable. Despite the Odyssey's car-like ease, it can become cumbersome to drive a van when the main conveniences of a van are no longer necessary.

tx2sturgis

• Texas Panhandle
« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2015, 04:44 am »

Honda Odyssey?

Looks like fun, but stuffing 7 people in that one seat might be hard to do...unless they are VERY friendly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Odyssey_%28ATV%29

Odal3

« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2015, 12:07 pm »
+1 on the odyssey. My wife absolutely didn't want one either but then we had twins...

We had a 2008 version and now a 2014 version. It actually drives really well and it's so convinient. Stock audio package is pretty decent too.

asliarun

« Reply #12 on: 10 Sep 2015, 03:40 pm »
I have an Acura MDX 2004 model. It is built on the same platform as the Pilot. Not a true 7 seater like a mini-van - the third row can only seat small adults or children. Love the car - reliable, tons of room, design still looks fresh (MDX design only changed significantly in 2007 and in 2014), good on safety and road traction. Also drives very well - like a car not like a hulking SUV.

Used Acura MDXes can often bad had for similar prices as a Pilot of similar age/specs.

Strangely enough, when compared with a 2015 MDX (which I was driving as a loaner), I actually preferred the older models in some aspects - the new model had traded features for plastickiness and overall interior build quality. Still, the wife loved the new model, while I had a mixed reaction. (Actually, now that I think about it, it wasn't even the plastickiness - which is being a bit unfair. It was the navigation tech. I just utterly disliked the inbuilt GPS and entertainment tech with the ridiculous rotary control - a $200 Garmin GPS is leagues better. But that is literally the only thing that I was let down with in the new model).

All in all, a very driveable and nimble 7 seater. I would even venture to say the MDX is one of the most driveable 7 seater SUVs around, and is very well balanced in terms of handling, engine power, mileage, and interior space.

On a side note, I find that in the used market, luxury brand prices tend to fall steeper. Hence they can often to be had at somewhat similar prices as their non-luxury sister brand. This is only a generalization though.

Don_S

« Reply #13 on: 10 Sep 2015, 04:07 pm »

On a side note, I find that in the used market, luxury brand prices tend to fall steeper. Hence they can often to be had at somewhat similar prices as their non-luxury sister brand. This is only a generalization though.

asliarun,

Do you find that used luxury brands have been better cared for?

asliarun

« Reply #14 on: 10 Sep 2015, 05:57 pm »
I found that luxury brands, especially the SUVs, have better service history. Sometimes lower miles as well - perhaps because the usage pattern is different, and if the car was being used as an extra family car or weekend car. In my car's case for example, all the servicing had been done at the same dealer. But this is my subjective experience, of course  :oops:

twitch54

« Reply #15 on: 10 Sep 2015, 06:18 pm »
Suburban ………………..

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #16 on: 10 Sep 2015, 06:39 pm »
Here's my .02c,

I have always been a Toyota/Lexus fan and have owned a few. I had a ford Expedition for over 10 years and put 167,000 miles on it. That was the most reliable SUV I have ever owned and Toyota's are very reliable. It has plenty of room for 7 or 8 people and will hold a sheet of plywood. They are all wheel drive all the time and switch to 4 wheel or 4L with the push of a button. Best vehicle bar none for driving in the snow and I have owned a LOT of 4wd vehicles in my life.

We currently have a Toyota Sequoia which is about the same size and the Expedition. It has a nicer ride and handles  better, more like a car than a truck. Both have more than enough power, the Ford had a 5.4L and the Toyota a 5.7L engine. The Ford got about 14mpg and the Toyota gets about 21. The Toyota is 2 wheel drive rather than AWD so doesn't do as well in the rain. It also doesn't handle as well in the snow when in 4wd compared to the Expedition.

I also own an Enclave right now which I've had for about a year and a half. It's a nice car, more of a crossover. Not as much room in it, a little narrower, still really long and with a V6 I think it's a bit underpowered for how heavy it is. They have all the bells and whistles, very nice to drive and AWD but only gets about 16mpg which I was surprised about. I'd buy the Sequoia or Expedition out of the three partly because I really like sitting up higher on the road.

One more thing about the Expedition, they can be had used at very good prices. So buying new, not such a good idea, buying used you get a heck of a good rig for pretty darn cheap. Not so with the Sequoia or the Enclave so just something to think about.

Personally I wouldn't buy a minivan, they are ugly and have no style in my book so I don't blame your wife for not wanting one.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 10 Sep 2015, 08:03 pm »
  Suburban or public transportation.

charles

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #18 on: 10 Sep 2015, 09:30 pm »
I just sold our 2003 Honda Odyssey to my sister in Minnesota for a song. I gave her a fantastic deal - she's my li'l sis after all. We've driven it 160k over 12 1/2 years and it has been a damned fine vehicle. I didn't want it in the beginning, but my wife insisted. [I really wanted a Pilot.] I've never regretted our decision to buy it. We only sold it because we're heading off to Taiwan this Sunday.

If I wanted a 7+ passenger vehicle, I'd seriously consider the Odyssey first followed by the Sienna. Then, I'd look at SUVs. Definitely try to find one that is two or three years old. You'll save a bundle and get an almost new vehicle.

Good luck!

RDavidson

« Reply #19 on: 10 Sep 2015, 09:44 pm »
Strangely enough, when compared with a 2015 MDX (which I was driving as a loaner), I actually preferred the older models in some aspects - the new model had traded features for plastickiness and overall interior build quality. Still, the wife loved the new model, while I had a mixed reaction. (Actually, now that I think about it, it wasn't even the plastickiness - which is being a bit unfair. It was the navigation tech. I just utterly disliked the inbuilt GPS and entertainment tech with the ridiculous rotary control - a $200 Garmin GPS is leagues better. But that is literally the only thing that I was let down with in the new model).

Yup. We really like everything about our 2015 MDX, but the infotainment setup needs to be redesigned. It's usable, but has a steep learning curve. I hope they update (overhaul) the software for it at some point. Honda was criticized in the past for not making better use / better sense of controls and touch screen tech in the Acura line. Well, they went WAY overboard, at least in the MDX. They put 80% of the controls in the touch screen, when much simpler analog controls would've been better for some things. Sometimes simple tasks require fumbling through 2-3 screens on the touch screen to do what you want. That aside, any time we've needed a rental vehicle for vacation or whatever, we're always VERY happy to return to our MDX. :D
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2015, 12:29 am by RDavidson »